Galaxy S6 It's a keeper bye bye iphone

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I got an S6 about 10 days ago, and have been loving it so far. So much so I sold my iPhone 6 since I haven't used it much since I got the phone.

First the bad:
Cell Standby is plaguing my phone badly to moderately now. Standby is not so great with wifi calling/volte enabled but I can live with it (I'm around 10-20% battery drain throughout day) I got a 10000mah power bank for my car to supplement the battery.
Turning off wifi seems to completely remove standby cell and allows the battery to last so much longer so that's what I've started doing. (Turning it on/off when needed until Samsung fixes the problem).

On to the good:
1. Battery issue while annoying is well covered with quick charging, seems Samsung really did their homework. Using my power bank (2.1amps) in the car, or using my charger at home can easily net me 10%-20% during a short 10 minute trip in the car. This keeps my topped off whenever I mneed it.
2. The build quality is seriously nothing to scoff at. I am really glad Samsung has finally caught up to the big boys (HTC One, and iPhone 6). Finally feels premium like the Note 4 only a little better in my opinion (more comfortable).
3. Software has been a little problematic, but not too much thanks to the storage USF 2.0. It's snappy enough, and while I do experience some bugs I expect them to be wrinkled out like my note 3's were over time. This is mostly lollipop however with bad ram utilization.
4. Screen is absolutely beautiful and incredibly efficient. In direct sunlight doesn't dim the screen one bit. Also the screen is insanely efficient, I've never seen a screen this efficient, in all my previous phones screen was always the #1 battery waster. I am a huge AMOLED fan.
5. Speaker while it indeed has a more high to mid range focused speaker, and clarity suffers at higher volumes: it does a good job of ringing loud enough to hear it, this is pretty much the single most important thing on my phone's speaker for me. Hearing you got a call, or notification.
6. Call quality has improved greatly compared to my Note 3. May have to do more with having LTE signal everywhere due to 700 mhz band, but whatever it is helps.
7. Performance has been good to so so. Due to the resolution you can tell the hardware can struggle to keep up during gaming.

Last edited:

majgaard

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Totally agree. Have had Iphone for 7 years - never tried anything else. But this S6 finally looked like an android phone that would suit me - and boy i am loving it!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad you both are enjoying the transition and hope updates will address some of your issues. What other features and functionality are better or worse versus your previous devices?

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I got an iPhone 6 when it was first released and I'm switching to the S6 now. It's strange, but the S6 makes the iPhone feel thick by comparison, even though it's only a hair thinner. I was just about sold on the S6 when I used the IR blaster for my TV. It finally merged useful functionality with beauty.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Glad you both are enjoying the transition and hope updates will address some of your issues. What other features and functionality are better or worse versus your previous devices?

Some pro's to iphone 6:
Gaming on the iphone rarely ever lagged on all games except one. Only game that could give it slight frame drops was DH5, but I stopped playing that since it doesn't sync cross platforms.
Backups are better done on the iphone by far.

On the S6 however android just offers much more versatility.
Example:
Access auto brightness requires you to go into settings, display, and tab auto brightness.
On Android all I have to do is pull my notification bars and flip a toggle.
To pair to a bluetooth or a particular bluetooth device on my iPhone 6 required me to go to into settings.
On Android I could just press and hold the bluetooth menu to get a list of possible bluetooth devices.
On Android when watching videos, pulling down the notification bar does not pause videos.
If I want to use my phone for storage of anything, (adding, transfering, managing) I can do that.

I will probably do a video review of the S6 vs the iPhone 6 in a short time.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Some pro's to iphone 6:
Gaming on the iphone rarely ever lagged on all games except one. Only game that could give it slight frame drops was DH5, but I stopped playing that since it doesn't sync cross platforms.

Example:
Access auto brightness requires you to go into settings, display, and tab auto brightness.
To pair to a bluetooth or a particular bluetooth device on my iPhone 6 required me to go to into settings.
On Android I could just press and hold the bluetooth menu to get a list of possible bluetooth devices.
On Android when watching videos, pulling down the notification bar does not pause videos.
If I want to use my phone for storage of anything, (adding, transfering, managing) I can do that.

Can't wait to see your video.

DSMpowerhousegroup

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Some pro's to iphone 6:

Example:

On the gaming which I don't really do myself. The IPhone renders better because it's powering a much lower resolution screen. It's gpu isn't working as hard. In overall power from cpu, the S6 is the most powerful device available today. I love my screen resolution. Grabs attention. IPhone is probably easier to use, because it does less and you can't change anything without jail breaking it. That always turned me away from it. There has also always been some arrogance coming from some that own it. Sort of blind loyalty.

Posted via the Android Central App

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Updated with video. iPhone 6 vs S6. Just a brief rant really.

On the gaming which I don't really do myself. The IPhone renders better because it's powering a much lower resolution screen. It's gpu isn't working as hard. In overall power from cpu, the S6 is the most powerful device available today. I love my screen resolution. Grabs attention. IPhone is probably easier to use, because it does less and you can't change anything without jail breaking it. That always turned me away from it. There has also always been some arrogance coming from some that own it. Sort of blind loyalty.

Posted via the Android Central App

Fully aware of details on gaming. Just mentioning it from a basic user point of view.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
First one to like it in there, why did you call the video like that? Just curious about the title.

The title was to comment on Samsung's change in direction with their smartphones. Going from a jack of all trades but master of none-device to having more limited features but those features are properly implemented and tuned to work well.
This is in my opinion Samsungs first smartphone that doesn't feel like they've left something half done.

Apple is known for being the first to do this (not fight with specs/features but focus on what they have or adding only 1-2 features and refining them until the experience is good).