Who's switching to the G4?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

I'm going to change the subject of the flamefest. I figured out what was killing my battery. It was the email auto sync. I disabled it and now my phone is getting excellent battery life, so far.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to change the subject of the flamefest. I figured out what was killing my battery. It was the email auto sync. I disabled it and now my phone is getting excellent battery life, so far.

Did you also check the Google account synch options?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I have Exchange Active Sync for work and set up the auto sync for peak hours only (7am to 8pm M-F) and hourly off peak. I get about 4 hours OST during the week (a mix of peak and non-peak), but more like 6 during the weekends (all non-peak). Active Sync is a total battery killer. And I don't even get a lot of emails, relatively speaking.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I have Exchange Active Sync for work and set up the auto sync for peak hours only (7am to 8pm M-F) and hourly off peak. I get about 4 hours OST during the week (a mix of peak and non-peak), but more like 6 during the weekends (all non-peak). Active Sync is a total battery killer.

I don't get much emails anyways so I didn't need Active Sync always running. My Gmail inbox app is still getting push emails but for some reason that Inbox app is not a battery killer.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

As I understand it, after RIM lost their push email patent fight, Microsoft engineered EAS to poll from the device, which is a battery hog. Gmail does true push, so it doesn't need to check all the time. Even on iPhones, EAS cuts battery life almost in half.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't get much emails anyways so I didn't need Active Sync always running. My Gmail inbox app is still getting push emails but for some reason that Inbox app is not a battery killer.

How about Location setting?

JohnCenaFan

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

I have g3 and other then the camera i reckon the g4 will have same issues as g3 great phone but lags and os crashes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bodzm

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site

Quote removed by Moderator

So you're saying the size of a battery IS NOT significant to the battery life of a device? I'd love to see your S6 run on a 1800mAh battery in that case. Sure, there are other factors at play like Soc (and die size), screen technology (AMOLED vs LCD), os optimisations and so on, but you're talking about two devices of the same generation with comparable technologies in terms of power sipping. The small differences you think will somehow amount to major differences in battery won't materialise. You're not comparing an S6 to a G1. The G4's battery is nearly 20% bigger than the S6. That's significant and the feeling from most reviews is that it does have a better battery. Does that really surprise us? No, but it seems to surprise some of you Samsung fans which is odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

I will not be switching. I love the s6 edge. I had the G3 for a while last year. It was a great phone. The G4 however is to close to the G3 for me to switch.

I can't blame people for switching though. Everyone had different needs and wants ama I normally switch phones several times a year.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

I will grant you that G4 battery life will improve with firmware updates so we will have to wait and see.
There appears to be a bit of ground to make up versus the GS6. The G4 is also powering a larger display consuming more power.

True. I find it interesting how some people can have such bad battery life on the S6 and others receive great battery life. And have you noticed that people that talk up the next update for the S6 say it will make it on par with G4 or better in some respects but don't acknowledge the same can be said about the G4. It has even released yet for Christ sake.lol Pre-release software anyone?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Android 5.0 had acknowledged battery drain issues that were fixed by 5.1. Since the S6 is getting the 5.1.1 upgrade, there are expectations of battery life improvements in the 20% range. The G4 has 5.1 out of the box and is therefore has no major battery fixes on the OS level upcoming and is closer to its battery life ceiling than the S6.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Android 5.0 had acknowledged battery drain issues that were fixed by 5.1. Since the S6 is getting the 5.1.1 upgrade, there are expectations of battery life improvements in the 20% range. The G4 has 5.1 out of the box and is therefore has no major battery fixes on the OS level upcoming and is closer to its battery life ceiling than the S6.

True..... But there is no guarantee that 5.1.1 is going to improve the battery life either... It's all speculation on that as well..

Until the carriers quit dicking around with the software and just release Android as it should be, battery life will always be a crap shoot amongst them... for any phone.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

limeaid

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Battery drain issues are NOT fixed in 5.1. At least in terms of the nexus devices. Lollipop in general has battery issues and it's looking pretty unlikely at this point that one of these updates is going to magically make everything better.

This is why it's even more important that the device itself have strong battery life to offset the [Edited by Moderator] code that Google has hoisted on us

Last edited by a moderator:

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

Why should I worrie about battery life again?

I get similar battery life to you. Incredible. I never expected it to be like this to be honest. Sucks everyone doesn't experience this because this is far and away the best mobile experience I've ever seen... By a long shot.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm quite happy with the S6 so no plans to, plus I don't have the money to just be swapping around phones. To be honest LG is pretty much at the bottom of the Android manufacturers for me. The phone is just to big, 5.1 or 5.2 is about as big as I want. It is still a plastic phone unless I want to pay more for leather that I'm not 100% sure hold up over 1 or 2 years of general use. The UI is just...blech. I played with a G3 on lollipop that is used for testing where I work and the UI looks pretty close and I'm sorry but it's just not all that attractive to me. The icons are to big for the LG apps, the style is garish and I see very little of material design in it. Not sure why some reviews were gushing over it, but it's as heavy handed as Samsung is to me. Samsung has it's UI issues, no doubt, but LG UX 4 just seems like a less polished TouchWiz. I know phones can have launchers and all that but I don't put launchers on my phone. For the money I pay I am either going to be happy with it out of the box or I am not spending the money for it.

Add in the fact that the G4 is beaten by the S6 hardware wise in every area but the battery (I'm not going to compare the screen, screen tech is so subjective to each user I don't like comparing. Personally I think the G4 matches or comes close to matching the S6 screen wise) and for me the G4 just isn't an S6 killer. It's a great phone, no doubt, and will appeal to certain segments to the Android crowd but it's just not for me. I get buttery smooth (well, as buttery smooth as Android can get) performance and a bit over 4 hours SoT on a 16 to 19 hours charge so I'm good.

The G5, M10 and maybe the S7 I think we will be the bigger leaps forward and it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm quite happy with the S6 so no plans to, plus I don't have the money to just be swapping around phones. To be honest LG is pretty much at the bottom of the Android manufacturers for me. The phone is just to big, 5.1 or 5.2 is about as big as I want. It is still a plastic phone unless I want to pay more for leather that I'm not 100% sure hold up over 1 or 2 years of general use. The UI is just...blech. I played with a G3 on lollipop that is used for testing where I work and the UI looks pretty close and I'm sorry but it's just not all that attractive to me. The icons are to big for the LG apps, the style is garish and I see very little of material design in it. Not sure why some reviews were gushing over it, but it's as heavy handed as Samsung is to me. Samsung has it's UI issues, no doubt, but LG UX 4 just seems like a less polished TouchWiz. I know phones can have launchers and all that but I don't put launchers on my phone. For the money I pay I am either going to be happy with it out of the box or I am not spending the money for it.

Add in the fact that the G4 is beaten by the S6 hardware wise in every area but the battery (I'm not going to compare the screen, screen tech is so subjective to each user I don't like comparing. Personally I think the G4 matches or comes close to matching the S6 screen wise) and for me the G4 just isn't an S6 killer. It's a great phone, no doubt, and will appeal to certain segments to the Android crowd but it's just not for me. I get buttery smooth (well, as buttery smooth as Android can get) performance and a bit over 4 hours SoT on a 16 to 19 hours charge so I'm good.

The G5, M10 and maybe the S7 I think we will be the bigger leaps forward and it'll be interesting to see what happens then.

Agree pretty much but the camera is no slouch. At the moment also running 5.1.1 out of the box.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I have g3 and other then the camera i reckon the g4 will have same issues as g3 great phone but lags and os crashes.

Why do you assume the G4 will have the same issues as your G3?

Sent from my LG G2 running CM 12

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't have either phone, (I have a Nexus 6) but if I had to choose between S6/G4 right now, it would be G4 all the way. Whoever said the S6 is superior in every way is just a fan boy justifying his purchase just like most people do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21