05-14-2015 06:39 PM
140 ... 3456
tools
    Fair enough. My storage needs are all driven by music, so the SD card is just fine for me. That said, my new 128GB S6 arrives tonight.
    How many songs are going on the SD card that you haven't listened to in a year or more?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    Ed Briggs likes this.
    05-11-2015 11:14 AM
    I've always wondered how much this is based on the combination of provider and location. I live in NJ and use VZW. To date, I've been fortunate with all my phones, with regard to how they perform in terms of battery consumption vs. what other using the device get.
    In many cases in the past there were always differences, but they were small as long as you have good to great service.

Today with Verizon and Sprint going with just one radio for voice and data, and both Sprint and T-Mobile having software added for wifi calling, you can get a wide range of battery life from the same phone if all options are used.

I'm seeing the same thing with the m9 and I'm sure we will see something similar with the G4. Between what some carriers are doing starting this year and lollipop issues, you could get drastically different battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App
    deeb215 likes this.
    05-11-2015 11:46 AM
    Good news for the switchers. The g4 supports quick charge 2.0
    05-11-2015 11:57 AM
    Good news for the switchers. The g4 supports quick charge 2.0
    Already had it out of the box.

05-11-2015 11:59 AM
    I agree with you about the fan boy but I would still take the s6. If the g4 was smaller I may rethink.

S6 Edge 64GB
    Fair enough, and to each their own. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and my Nexus 6 fits the bill. Even a 5.7" phone feels small to me now. Some would consider the 5.5" screen of the G4 too big, but for me it's too small. I really hope there's always a good 6" option for future phones. Some people actually enjoy the size. But you have to admit that for watching media and playing games, nothing beats a bigger screen. It's just the carrying around part I think people have an issue with.
    05-11-2015 12:31 PM
    How many songs are going on the SD card that you haven't listened to in a year or more?

Don't you know that you have to have every song you've ever downloaded, and every pic you've ever taken, on your phone physically? Because you just never know.

But seriously, I'd much rather upload all of my tunes to Play Music and stream them when I want. Plus it acts as a backup because you can always download them to a computer if anything were to happen to your pc/external hard drive and lost them all. And then there's always Drive or DropBox to put pics on and view them any time you want from any online device. Much more practical if you ask me.
    05-11-2015 12:44 PM
    I with ya, I love the bigger screen. I even had a g3 for a stretch but for me right now pocketability is a big deal. Now if the G4 had a way better camera then I might give it some thought...
    Fair enough, and to each their own. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and my Nexus 6 fits the bill. Even a 5.7" phone feels small to me now. Some would consider the 5.5" screen of the G4 too big, but for me it's too small. I really hope there's always a good 6" option for future phones. Some people actually enjoy the size. But you have to admit that for watching media and playing games, nothing beats a bigger screen. It's just the carrying around part I think people have an issue with.
    05-11-2015 01:09 PM
    I with ya, I love the bigger screen. I even had a g3 for a stretch but for me right now pocketability is a big deal. Now if the G4 had a way better camera then I might give it some thought...
    From all the comparisons I've seen, the G4 is very comparable to the S6, and in some ways better. It's no slouch for sure. If you were comparing the Moto X 14 with the S6, then there would be a big difference. But we're comparing 2 very good phones. I think if people didn't expect perfection and would enjoy the photos for what they're worth, we wouldn't have half of these discussions. The way people talk about camera quality, you would would think they are going to put them up in an art gallery or something. I just think people are too nit-picky these days. If I was into photography on such a high level, I would invest in a good DSLR. Otherwise, most high end phones take good enough pics for the average person.
    05-11-2015 01:23 PM
    Just keep in mind that the G4 is already running 5.1, so all of the Lollipop battery fixes are in place. I'd bet that once the S6 gets the 5.1.1 upgrade, the battery life will be comparable if not better, without any further improvements left for the G4.
    No way that will happen.2600(S6] -3000(G4) battery sizes will not change with updates. Plus you can only do so much to help the battery with software. I would give the S6 10% max better battery life.

05-11-2015 01:50 PM
    The S6 fits great in my hand. The size is just right balancing between phablet and mid sized phone. So yeah, the size of the LG and feel in the hand are gonna be deciding factors. The M9 feels awesome in the hand and that gives it major bonus points in my view - I'd take it over many better specced phones as a result. The S6 isn't far off - feel in hand is strangely an intangible quality but I've realised it's a massive aspect of buying a new phone ie. I am concerned about the size and plastic
    05-11-2015 01:57 PM
    I went from an S6 to the edge. Could not be happier with how compact it feels. Battery life has been great with 5 plus hours of SOT everyday. Do I wish that it was a nexus instead of Samsung? Sure I do. I am not a Samsung fan at all but for me they have nailed it. Change launchers and drive on. I would love it if they came out with a compact nexus that had a good camera. I'm not a fanboy, just going with what I believe is best and for me the S6 edge is very close to perfect for my needs.
    The S6 fits great in my hand. The size is just right balancing between phablet and mid sized phone. So yeah, the size of the LG and feel in the hand are gonna be deciding factors. The M9 feels awesome in the hand and that gives it major bonus points in my view - I'd take it over many better specced phones as a result. The S6 isn't far off - feel in hand is strangely an intangible quality but I've realised it's a massive aspect of buying a new phone ie. I am concerned about the size and plastic
    05-11-2015 02:14 PM
    I'm not switching. Currently have no reasons to. I'm not even going to look at the G4, would hate to be tempted when I can't afford it. LOL.
    05-11-2015 02:16 PM
    Considering you need to offload the RAW files to a PC to work with, why would you want to store them on the phone? I've seen this question asked before, and it makes no sense.

I'm not sure how the G4 handles saving files, but on the Samsung phones, all burst mode and UHD video could not be saved directly to the SD card due to memory write speed. I'm pretty sure burst mode can save directly to the SD card on the G4, but not sure about UHD and RAW files.
    Burst and uhd can save directly to internal and An external card. Not sure about RAW yet but I can't imagine why it wouldn't be an option.
    05-11-2015 02:25 PM
    No way that will happen.2600(S6] -3000(G4) battery sizes will not change with updates. Plus you can only do so much to help the battery with software. I would give the S6 10% max better battery life.

If you aren't having the cell standby and battery issue, the improvement will probably not be enormously different. For those who are, we will see.

05-11-2015 02:40 PM
    Both devices definitely appeal to different preferences. Just because one side has strong feelings doesn't mean we should resort to labels or my dog is better than your dog.

One side likes the G4 with a nice large display and camera. They need the card slot and ability to swap a larger battery trading off premium materials for plastic back covers with hyper glazed finishes or leather.They realize that they need to buy an accessory for wireless charging. They are fine without rapid charging, fingerprint scanner, dual wireless charging built in, dual mobile payment, and less energy efficient but comparable chipset. They do have 5.1.1 out of the box and firmware updates should improve things a bit.

The central question is the G4 compelling enough to switch. For me and some others, the answer is no. Hopefully, with 5.1.1, those affected by cell standby and battery drain, etc., a great device will be even better. We are also looking forward to Samsung Pay with tap n go and MST. Some of us aren't so much spec conscious, believe it or not, and with more energy efficient hardware and matching optimized firmware, a smaller battery can do the job of a larger one. We don't miss the card slot and swappable battery and appreciate the inclusion of above missing features in the G4. We prefer a smaller device and love how super thin, fast and smooth it is.
    well said, but I despise the words "energy efficient." these manufacturers have used this buzz word while sealing smaller batteries, which will inevitably translate into quicker turnover. instead of making these devices slightly thicker, and I'm not just talking about Samsung, with a significantly larger battery, they sing the praises of energy efficiency, like we're supposed to be happy we might be able to make it a full day.

then they sell us gimmicks like quick charge, which we get the pleasure of buying adaptors for, which cause battery degradation, meaning ... you got it, quicker turnover. this is all a sham and I for one am not buying it. I'm not paying $700 for 4-5 hours SOT on a phone that'll need to either be replaced in 2 years cause the battery is dead, or I'll have to pay $45 for a replacement.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but it's obvious what's going on, and I'm never gonna praise a device for being energy efficient, or having quick charge, when it has a battery that's simply to small to power these ridiculous displays and processors.

05-11-2015 03:02 PM
    I am, currently using the long in the tooth Motorola Droid RAZR HD from Verizon. I can't wait to upgrade :-)
    05-11-2015 03:37 PM
    well said, but I despise the words "energy efficient." these manufacturers have used this buzz word while sealing smaller batteries, which will inevitably translate into quicker turnover. instead of making these devices slightly thicker, and I'm not just talking about Samsung, with a significantly larger battery, they sing the praises of energy efficiency, like we're supposed to be happy we might be able to make it a full day.

then they sell us gimmicks like quick charge, which we get the pleasure of buying adaptors for, which cause battery degradation, meaning ... you got it, quicker turnover. this is all a sham and I for one am not buying it. I'm not paying $700 for 4-5 hours SOT on a phone that'll need to either be replaced in 2 years cause the battery is dead, or I'll have to pay $45 for a replacement.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but it's obvious what's going on, and I'm never gonna praise a device for being energy efficient, or having quick charge, when it has a battery that's simply to small to power these ridiculous displays and processors.

Which is more efficient 14nm or 20 nm for chipsets? Just an example.
    05-11-2015 06:41 PM
    As shadow82x stated "Buy whatever doesn't make you have buyers remorse". I believe I did this with the S6 and I'm not switching.
    05-11-2015 07:27 PM
    Which is more efficient 14nm or 20 nm for chipsets? Just an example.
    I'm not debating which is more efficient, that's not my point. I'm just saying that I'm not satisfied with the smaller batteries we're seeing across the board in 2015, and I really hate that they're selling us on efficiency.

personally I'd prefer a slightly thicker phone, larger battery, and that efficiency would make things even better.

I'm a Samsung fan and owner, the black S6 Edge is the nicest phone I've ever seen, maybe the best electronic device. I'm just not satisfied with sub 3000 mAh batteries despite the gorgeous aesthetics. I'm not happy with the G4 battery either, and I won't be til the norm is 3500+ ... then I'd be happy with efficiency, cause my phone would easily last all day with heavy use. wouldn't have to worry about quick charge or replaceable batteries.

idk. heading into 2015 my #1 hope was that we'd see better, much better, battery life. maybe I'm just a little bitter!

05-11-2015 07:36 PM

I totally understand and agree. But...

I'm getting without tweaks (out of the box experience) 5 hours of SoT with gaming. 6 hours with tweaks. 7 hours with almost no gaming. Based on my use the S6 is destroying my m8 in battery life with a smaller battery.

With that said, I've only found one review that isn't using the unlocked Korean model. Since this website tested both the S6 and the G4 using T-Mobile, the G4 won in my book with an added 1 hour of SoT. But while I have much respect for what LG had done in the past year or two, the size of the G4 worries me in pocket ability. Going to a two handed use phone also concerns me. So it was never at the top of my list. But I'm glad that the phone is great and choice is always what made Android awesome. I highly recommend getting what feels best for you and if that is the S6 to not worrie so much about battery life or reviews. Your milage is going to be different anyway so just try out what you like and see if it works for you.

Just ask anyone how I had second thoughts about battery life with Andrew's results before his review. I'm so glad that I tried it anyway because the phone is working out quite well for me.

neiljay6 likes this.
    05-11-2015 07:51 PM
    There has to be a point in time hopefully pretty soon when they stop all this my phone is thinner than yours by 1mm crap and start giving us phones we can actually use all day long without having to even begin to think about charging until we go to bed.
    Who cares who's phone is thinner . There freiking thin enough already.
    Stop making then thinner and thinner and start making them last longer and longer.
    OK I'm done
    limeaid and drone3 like this.
    05-11-2015 07:53 PM
    Samsung has done an excellent job with the look and feel of the S6 and S6 edge. I'm enjoying my Gold S6 edge to much. I don't think the G4 had enough to entice me to switch
    05-11-2015 08:28 PM
    I'm not debating which is more efficient, that's not my point. I'm just saying that I'm not satisfied with the smaller batteries we're seeing across the board in 2015, and I really hate that they're selling us on efficiency.

personally I'd prefer a slightly thicker phone, larger battery, and that efficiency would make things even better.

I'm a Samsung fan and owner, the black S6 Edge is the nicest phone I've ever seen, maybe the best electronic device. I'm just not satisfied with sub 3000 mAh batteries despite the gorgeous aesthetics. I'm not happy with the G4 battery either, and I won't be til the norm is 3500+ ... then I'd be happy with efficiency, cause my phone would easily last all day with heavy use. wouldn't have to worry about quick charge or replaceable batteries.

idk. heading into 2015 my #1 hope was that we'd see better, much better, battery life. maybe I'm just a little bitter!

Post was in response to you inference about buzz words. Something has to account for the battery performance that some of us are getting if it is not the improved optimization of firmware working in concert with improved hardware. It is a case seeing is believing. We are all not suffering some form of mass delusion as there are a couple of dozen or more threads with battery life screen shots from users who aren't suffering cell standby or battery drain issues of 5.0.2.
    05-11-2015 08:31 PM
    S6 has better chip and better screen, nothing really makes anyone want a G4 when compared to s6 unless you care for the removable battery and sd card
    05-13-2015 02:35 PM
    S6 has better chip and better screen, nothing really makes anyone want a G4 when compared to s6 unless you care for the removable battery and sd card
    Pointless post. Many reviewers are saying the screens are neck and neck and it's really a matter if you prefer AMOLED or not.

And btw, my gs6 screen was one of the reasons I returned it. Pink tint on white background is apparently pretty common. I certainly don't consider that "better"
    05-13-2015 03:32 PM
140 ... 3456