Who's switching to the G4?

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Anyone trading their S6 for the G4? Why? Is anyone else considering it but what keeps you on the fence? Thanks

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

Just came from the Droid Turbo. I had to chose between the S6 and G4. both were remarkably close by all accounts, and camera was my main factor. From what I was looking for...simplicity in shooting and quickly, I liked what the s6 had to offer. Not saying the G4 was not capable of better photos, but when I use a camera in a phone, it is point and shoot. I would never have time to make all the "pro" adjustments. Cool phone so far. Wish the battery life was better, but nothing is 100% perfect. The phone is so ridiculously thin, that even with the mophie battery pack on it, it still is easily a pocket phone for me.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

G4 is a great device and will compete well. Other than leaving out key features that the competition have included and added to up the ante in the flagship smartphone space, holding a mini-tab to my ear isn't appealing. It would almost be unpocketable with a case. Plastic backing not a good look for a premium device. How long did Samsung get hammered as cheap looking for having one? Having had the GS6 for more than a month now, I see no reason to switch.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Just came from the Droid Turbo. I had to chose between the S6 and G4. both were remarkably close by all accounts, and camera was my main factor. From what I was looking for...simplicity in shooting and quickly, I liked what the s6 had to offer. Not saying the G4 was not capable of better photos, but when I use a camera in a phone, it is point and shoot. I would never have time to make all the "pro" adjustments. Cool phone so far. Wish the battery life was better, but nothing is 100% perfect. The phone is so ridiculously thin, that even with the mophie battery pack on it, it still is easily a pocket phone for me.

True nothing beats that double tap to camera feature. The G4 has a similar feature but I don't think it'll execute as well with the button location being in the rear.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

G4 is a great device and will compete well. Other than leaving out key features that the competition have included and added to up the ante in the flagship smartphone space, holding a mini-tab to my ear isn't appealing. It would almost be unpocketable with a case. Plastic backing not a good look for a premium device. How long did Samsung get hammered as cheap looking for having one? Having had the GS6 for more than a month now, I see no reason to switch.

They could've chosen a better alternative to the leather I agree. I would've preferred the back of the G2 if it had to be plastic or softouch like the Nexus 5.

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I have had every iteration of the lg from the optimus line. Than went to HTC from the m7 ,but also picked up the g2 and g3 as well. Never actually cared for Samsung devices. Went to best buy to check out the s6 and was shocked with how much I liked the phone. So I bought both s6 and edge ,lol. I was considering the lg as well before it was official,but once I started reading about it I lost interest. I do not care for the leather and the plastic back makes it look and feel like the g3. Yes,the camera is supposed to be stellar,but the s6 cameras are great as well. Lg ui still looks the same,pastel ugly ,watercolor type. I am shockingly ,very happy with my Sammy purchase

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Samsung really did a good job with these new Galaxy devices. A few software tweaks away from being perfect for me so I'll be keeping my S6 for the time being.

chonghak

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I'm not switching, but I would have given G4 more serious consideration, if it had been available at the same time as GS6 and M9.

Posted via the Android Central App

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

I'm not switching, but I would have given G4 more serious consideration, if it had been available at the same time as GS6 and M9.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes personally I think mainly the size would've still leaned me towards the S6. I was hoping LG would have made it more compact compared to the G3. If I had skipped the S6 I'd probably be waiting to see what Moto will release also.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The 5.5" screen makes the G4 a non-starter, but even if it were 5.1", I'd take the S6 due to built-in wireless charging, real-time HDR, fingerprint scanner, and the 128gb storage option. But it would have been a tough call just because of the swappable battery. The size just ruins the G4 for me. If I wanted a big screen, I'd wait for the Note 5.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

Just keep in mind that the G4 is already running 5.1, so all of the Lollipop battery fixes are in place. I'd bet that once the S6 gets the 5.1.1 upgrade, the battery life will be comparable if not better, without any further improvements left for the G4.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Don't be a fan boy.

S6 has its appeal, but I'm switching. Battery life. End of story

I don't know it's comparable, the AC review reported 4 hours SOT and many have shown they're already getting that on the S6 without sacrificing usability. Being able to swap the battery instantly works in favor of the G4 though.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know it's comparable, the AC review reported 4 hours SOT and many have shown they're already getting that on the S6 without sacrificing usability. Being able to swap the battery instantly works in favor of the G4 though.

So does Adaptive Fast Charging for the S6. That said, they're also testing the international G4. The US version has a smaller 2900 mah battery.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

So does Adaptive Fast Charging for the S6. That said, they're also testing the international G4. The US version has a smaller 2900 mah battery.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Why would LG put a smaller battery in the US version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam