Who's switching to the G4?

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

It seems like a comparable phone to the s6, with a nice screen, great camera and good performance. However its just too big and I really don't like the way the thing looks which is made worse for me by its size. I'm getting great battery life with my s6, I loveee the design, the screen is awesome! and its just a little over my ideal size. Im good.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

Don't be a fan boy.

S6 has its appeal, but I'm switching. Battery life. End of story

Fanboy? That statement alone implies you're a pretty big fanboy? I guess some people just can't accept the truth. Most review sites say the G4 actually has worst battery life, maybe you should do some searching outside of AC. That alone should pretty upsetting considering it's using an underwhelming processor and a greater capacity battery.

To each their own though. Buy whatever doesn't make you have buyers remorse. ;)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Just keep in mind that the G4 is already running 5.1, so all of the Lollipop battery fixes are in place. I'd bet that once the S6 gets the 5.1.1 upgrade, the battery life will be comparable if not better, without any further improvements left for the G4.
Not to mention that the GS6 will get camera improvements that will make its RFC better and intrude RAW output support as well. Before someone drive the next nail, let's wait and see.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Fanboy? That statement alone implies you're a pretty big fanboy? I guess some people just can't accept the truth. Most review sites say the G4 actually has worst battery life, maybe you should do some searching outside of AC. That alone should pretty upsetting considering it's using an underwhelming processor and a greater capacity battery.

Every site has some bias. Is it a coincidence.that the G4 has a plastic back, removable battery and a card slot and the device lacking a number premium features like rapid charging, wireless charging, mobile payment systems, fingerprint scanner, UFS, and DDR4 RAM get such a favorable shake from reviewers? No matter how you dress it up, it's still plastic which doesn't sound premium to me. Why is it premium for LG and not Samsung?

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Just keep in mind that the G4 is already running 5.1, so all of the Lollipop battery fixes are in place. I'd bet that once the S6 gets the 5.1.1 upgrade, the battery life will be comparable if not better, without any further improvements left for the G4.

The G4 that they reviewed was still on pre-release software so it can still get better.

Posted via the Android Central App

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Let's wait and see after 5.1.1 is released to all carriers.

Software can't fix what hardware doesn't have. Still a very nice phone though I was going to buy it but decided to wait until the G4.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

The G4 that they reviewed was still on pre-release software so it can still get better.

Then, logically, running a more current OS version out of the box and should result in better performance from the jump as the GS6 is still on 5.0.2.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

The sites that claimed the G4 has a worse battery life used a video test compared to real world use. And depending on the video an Amoled screen can do really good (has a lot of black in the video) or do really bad (has a lot of white in the video). I'll trust people that actually used each phone how its intended to be used to trust them on battery life.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Then, logically, running a more current OS version out of the box and should result in better performance from the jump as the GS6 is still on 5.0.2.

Depending on certain factors yes.

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

The sites that claim the G4 has a worse battery life probably used a video test compared to real world use. And depending on the video an Amoled screen can do really good (has a lot of black in the video) or do really bad (has a lot of white in the video). I'll trust people that actually used each phone how its intended to be used to trust them on battery life.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

Let's wait and see after 5.1.1 is released to all carriers.

An update isn't going to fix battery issues. Seriously, who puts a 2550 mAh battery in an octo-core phone with a QHD display?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Depending on certain factors yes.

I will grant you that G4 battery life will improve with firmware updates so we will have to wait and see.
There appears to be a bit of ground to make up versus the GS6. The G4 is also powering a larger display consuming more power.

alkezi

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Well the review at pocketnow g4 vs s6 mike fisher said that g4 battery life is better than the s6. Go check the video yourself

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site

An update isn't going to fix battery issues. Seriously, who puts a 2550 mAh battery in an octo-core phone with a QHD display?

There's a lot of people getting pretty good SOT with the s6 even with that. The size of the battery isn't everything. It's how efficient the software is, processor, ram, etc.

I'm getting around 4 SOT with some pretty heavy apps (facebook/messenger, instagram, snapchat, youtube) which is slightly better than my old M8. And I'm plagued with the cell standby and android system battery drain, so it could possibly get better in the future.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

He's posing a rhetorical question based upon his experiences.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Love my S6, G4 is no slouch though as it looks really impressive. ..however it's a little too big for my taste so even if I waited to decide I'd still go with the S6 in the end. So no, not switching.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Love my S6, G4 is no slouch though as it looks really impressive. ..however it's a little too big for my taste so even if I waited to decide I'd still go with the S6 in the end. So no, not switching.

Who wants to pocket a mini-tab?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo