My phone Spins off Qi Charger, is this normal?

A

AC Question

Phone "Spins" off Qi Charger

I picked up a Galaxy S6 over the weekend and ordered a RavPower Qi Charger (RP-WCN7(B)) from Amazon, which arrived yesterday. (Note I had already drained phone to low charge level and charged via wall charger over the weekend, before receiving the Qi charger). Plugged in Qi charger last night, placed phone down, it started charging. Yay! I went to sleep.

Then something weird happened. I woke up this morning and found the phone had "twisted/spun" counter-clockwise and had fallen off the charger. Checked the battery level, and it seems that the phone must not have been on the charger for more than 15 minutes. I thought it was weird, but maybe there was an earthquake I didn't feel (I live in CA afterall). Put the phone back on the charger, and laid back down. Within 15 minutes, I heard a noise, looked over, the phone had done the same thing and fallen off. I put it back, checked after 10 minutes, and while the phone hadn't fallen off this time, it had clearly moved/spun slightly from where I placed it.

I tried Googling this issue and found NOTHING. I called RavPower and they said they had never heard of this, asked me to try it one more time tonight, if still experiencing the problem to send back to Amazon as this should NOT be happening.

Has ANYONE experienced or heard of anything like this happening, regardless of charger or phone? This is SO weird. While I don't know exactly how Qi charging works, I realize there are coils in there that are likely sending electrical currents in what I assume is a clockwise direction. Maybe the charger is too powerful? Will this damage my phone?? Or maybe my phone is too new and just needs to be broken in? I have no idea... Please help! Thanks! (sorry for the long post)

TL;DR: Phone spins counterclockwise off of Qi charger, wtf?

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Um....no! That is not in any way what it's supposed to do. BUT I would love to see a video of it!

I use the upgraded choe qi charger. One for me and one for the wife. They work great!

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Phone "Spins" off Qi Charger

I picked up a Galaxy S6 over the weekend and ordered a RavPower Qi Charger (RP-WCN7(B)) from Amazon, which arrived yesterday. (Note I had already drained phone to low charge level and charged via wall charger over the weekend, before receiving the Qi charger). Plugged in Qi charger last night, placed phone down, it started charging. Yay! I went to sleep.

Then something weird happened. I woke up this morning and found the phone had "twisted/spun" counter-clockwise and had fallen off the charger. Checked the battery level, and it seems that the phone must not have been on the charger for more than 15 minutes. I thought it was weird, but maybe there was an earthquake I didn't feel (I live in CA afterall). Put the phone back on the charger, and laid back down. Within 15 minutes, I heard a noise, looked over, the phone had done the same thing and fallen off. I put it back, checked after 10 minutes, and while the phone hadn't fallen off this time, it had clearly moved/spun slightly from where I placed it.

I tried Googling this issue and found NOTHING. I called RavPower and they said they had never heard of this, asked me to try it one more time tonight, if still experiencing the problem to send back to Amazon as this should NOT be happening.

Has ANYONE experienced or heard of anything like this happening, regardless of charger or phone? This is SO weird. While I don't know exactly how Qi charging works, I realize there are coils in there that are likely sending electrical currents in what I assume is a clockwise direction. Maybe the charger is too powerful? Will this damage my phone?? Or maybe my phone is too new and just needs to be broken in? I have no idea... Please help! Thanks! (sorry for the long post)

TL;DR: Phone spins counterclockwise off of Qi charger, wtf?

Out of curiosity, have you identified what it is that's making your phone "move" on the charger pad? I would be tempted to sit there and watch it to see what's happening.

My only guess is that either the pad is not sitting level (not likely though) ... OR ... is your phone on "vibrate" for notifications, and when you get them, the vibration causes the phone to "move" or "spin" on the pad and eventually fall off?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Out of curiosity, have you identified what it is that's making your phone "move" on the charger pad? I would be tempted to sit there and watch it to see what's happening.

My only guess is that either the pad is not sitting level (not likely though) ... OR ... is your phone on "vibrate" for notifications, and when you get them, the vibration causes the phone to "move" or "spin" on the pad and eventually fall off?

This. I could see it vibrating causing it to move off.

I am with Gator -- I use the Choe charger and have no issues.

Weak Sauce

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for all the replies guys. No, I have not yet figured out what is causing this as I haven't been home yet to test it further. I will try to take some video of this lol. I thought maybe vibrations from messages/alerts might be causing this, and that could have been what caused this issue the first two times, but when I tried this the third time this morning, I was awake and right next to the phone and no vibrations occurred for those 10-ish minutes. I hope it is the vibrations as that makes the most sense and can be rectified. I will provide an update as soon as I have more info, and will certainly consider returning this pad and buying the Choe instead. Thanks everyone!

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I have only tried one wireless charger so far, and it's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4422545

It's the TechMatte Qi Wireless charging pad. Comes with the charging cord and "wall brick", but will work with any micro USB cord and brick.

The pad is basically the exact same size as the phone, and the "texture" is like a satin matte rubbery finish, so it grips just fine. My phone is not on silent overnight - meaning, it still vibrates when notifications come in. However, in 4 nights, it's yet to move at all on the pad.

It's got an LED indicator ... red when plugged in and not charging ... but turns green when the phone is set on it and the charging cycle starts. Not a necessary feature, but one that I find to be nice to have.

This pad also stays "charging" even when the phone reaches 100% charge, which is great because it doesn't allow the phone to reach full charge at 2am, then stop charging for 4+ hours before I get up in the morning.

Also, I should add, this charger does a pretty good job at charging the phone ... it's not super fast, but it's not slow either. Also, I have a TPU case and a hard plastic shell case that I use on my phone, and the charger still charges the phone just fine with either of the cases on.

For only $23, I found this charger to be a real deal. I am going to order 1 or 2 more so I can have one in the office, and one more on spare to keep with me when on the go.

Weak Sauce

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Quick follow up question regarding the Choe, I see a square version, rectangular version, and round version; which ones do you guys have and recommend? The rectangular one (stadium) looks like it has a non-slip surface (cant tell on the other two) that might prevent my insanity the next time my phone vibrates lol

Weak Sauce

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Awesome, thanks for the info Wiggum! Ya, I think the surface of the RavPower pad may be contributing to my issue. I cant wait to get home, find out that its just the vibrations, and then feel like a complete *** all evening lol

ibuyufo

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Have you thought about calling the Catholic church to perform an exorcism? I think they're free to members of the church, otherwise there will be a $100 charge for consultation and $1000 to perform the exorcism.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a Samsung wireless charger, and mine spins off too, unless I use laser alignment and an atomic microscope to make sure it's dead level.

Luckily I don't use wireless charging much because it absolutely sucks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have a Samsung wireless charger, and mine spins off too, unless I use laser alignment and an atomic microscope to make sure it's dead level.

Luckily I don't use wireless charging much because it absolutely sucks

You may feel different about it -- I know I would feel like you do if I had to try really hard to get it working.. but I simply drop and walk away and it charges :). I didn't nab the Samsung one due to that issue -- one of our reviewers says it "slides" and that instantly deterred me so I nabbed this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4422668

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Quick follow up question regarding the Choe, I see a square version, rectangular version, and round version; which ones do you guys have and recommend? The rectangular one (stadium) looks like it has a non-slip surface (cant tell on the other two) that might prevent my insanity the next time my phone vibrates lol

I got the square one.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

You may feel different about it -- I know I would feel like you do if I had to try really hard to get it working.. but I simply drop and walk away and it charges :). I didn't nab the Samsung one due to that issue -- one of our reviewers says it "slides" and that instantly deterred me so I nabbed this... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4422800

I might get two of those. Those look sweet. When i bought ours, those weren't available.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I might get two of those. Those look sweet. When i bought ours, those weren't available.

I would highly recommend it. I have one on my pc desk and it's the only way I charge at home :). I keep the quick charger at work since I need quick juice there and there is a plug at my desk so it's not like the phone isn't near me.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

I use the Samsung wireless charger overnight and my phone doesn't move at all, however I usually shut my phone off or use blocking mode set to allow favorites only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Weak Sauce

May 12, 2015
Visit site

Hey guys, here is the link to the video of the RavPower charger spinning my phone:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaqrW3IRVhYNGNvakhmdGE0Wlk/view?usp=sharing
Pretty crazy stuff lol

As recommended, I ordered the Choe charger. After three nights of testing, I can confirm that the Choe charger does NOT do this. I assume the RavPower charger has this issue partly because of the raised power symbol in the middle. That is supposed to be non-slip surface, but it seems to act as a pivot point.

I also posted this on another forum and a user stated that because of the smooth glass back, he had this problem all the time (but did not mention the charger he was using). He said (jokingly) a fan from across the room could move the phone. His solution was to get a case for the phone (dont remember the brand).

Hope you all enjoy the video and Ill be honest, Im glad Im not crazy lol

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, here is the link to the video of the RavPower charger spinning my phone:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxaqrW3IRVhYNGNvakhmdGE0Wlk/view?usp=sharing
Pretty crazy stuff lol

As recommended, I ordered the Choe charger. After three nights of testing, I can confirm that the Choe charger does NOT do this. I assume the RavPower charger has this issue partly because of the raised power symbol in the middle. That is supposed to be non-slip surface, but it seems to act as a pivot point.

I also posted this on another forum and a user stated that because of the smooth glass back, he had this problem all the time (but did not mention the charger he was using). He said (jokingly) a fan from across the room could move the phone. His solution was to get a case for the phone (dont remember the brand).

Hope you all enjoy the video and Ill be honest, Im glad Im not crazy lol

Glass surfaces tend to be slick. Totally understand not wanting a case but it would mitigate the sliding or spinning. Glad it worked for you.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

with no sound/audio on that video (which I understand, since it increases file size quite a bit) ... it's hard to understand how the phone could just be moving off the pad w/out ANY sort of vibration, motion, etc. causing it. Either that, or that table is drastically tilted (not level) ...

Glass or no glass, slick or not slick, anything flat laying on anything flat is NOT going to just slide off like that ... not without "help".

I would have to guess, maybe, that the computer or something else on that table is vibrating at a very slight but high rate ... and since the computer/device/whatever is on the table ... and the table is hard wood, and the charger pad has no "padding" on the bottom to absorb vibrations, etc. That those vibrations are translating into the pad, and causing the phone to very slowly slide/move off the pad.

If it were ME ... I would try the charger pat on another surface, and/or put a folded up towel under the charger pad to dampen any vibrations, and THEN see if the phone continues to want to slide off the pad.

In the end, it seems that the pad probably has very little texture to it so that it will grip the back of the phone better ... but that not withstanding, the phone should not, under any normal circumstances, be sliding off the charging pad.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante