My phone in not recognizing my fingerprints so I can't unlock it. I also forgot my backup password and my google account.
    what can I do to unlock it?
    05-12-2015 11:43 AM
    Factory reset.
    The only way to unlock a device is with your Google Account through Google Play's Device Manager, but since you forgot your account, not much to do but to wipe the device.

Sorry.
    afnans likes this.
    05-12-2015 11:56 AM
    You can try this...not sure if it still works. Google Android Device Manager (I would link it but I'm logged in). Choose to lock it, which at least USED to prompt you for a new password that USED to override the phone. It's actually a bit of a security weakness so perhaps they stopped it from working. But it's worth a try since the alternative is factory reset
    afnans likes this.
    05-12-2015 11:58 AM
    Keep trying with the finger prints. Move your finger around for each different attempt. Do you have a Samsung account? Not sure if you can get in through that or not, but you can try. The same thing happened to me. I got in through google briefly, but it locked up again. I finally went to the Samsung kiosk at Best Buy and they did a factory reset. You might try and call Samsung if you don't have a kiosk nearby. Perhaps someone smarter than me can give you better tips, but I can't stress the importance of writing down your backup password for the phone and google account.

Just curious, did you limit background activity in any apps? Each time my phone locks, it is because I have fiddled with the app settings.
    afnans likes this.
    05-12-2015 11:59 AM
    Factory reset.
    The only way to unlock a device is with your Google Account through Google Play's Device Manager, but since you forgot your account, not much to do but to wipe the device.

Sorry.
    Ahh...not only did I get ninja'd, I missed the fact that she forgot her google account too. Yeah, if you can't remember anything, no worldly power can help you. In the future, passwords that are written on paper and stored at home at not much of a security risk unless you work for the NSA
    afnans likes this.
    05-12-2015 12:00 PM
    You can try this...not sure if it still works. Google Android Device Manager (I would link it but I'm logged in). Choose to lock it, which at least USED to prompt you for a new password that USED to override the phone. It's actually a bit of a security weakness so perhaps they stopped it from working. But it's worth a try since the alternative is factory reset
    Not a weakness, and yes, it still works. Android Device Manager is designed to do just that, allow you to unlock your device should you forget your PIN/password, provided, of course, you can still access the same Google account that's used in the device.

The OP, apparently, has lost access to both the device and the Google account, which won't allow her to use Device Manager.
    afnans likes this.
    05-12-2015 12:02 PM
    Not a weakness...
    Additional access points are always an increased risk, especially one so available to social engineering. At least with device security, you pretty much need physical access to the device (pretty much though not 100%). But I agree it is a small additional risk, which is why I indicated it was "a bit" of a security risk. But, yes, you're right. If she can't remember anything, there's not much to be done.
    05-12-2015 12:07 PM
    No one considered it possibly being a stolen phone? Not only will the fingerprint not work, but she (if it's not a fake account) also forgot the backup password and the google account? I find that pretty unlikely but I know I shouldn't assume things. Sorry. Best of luck to ya!
    05-12-2015 12:15 PM
    I am sorry if it sounded like this but unfortunately I forgot all of my passwords because I don't use them often since I am always automatically signed in .
    05-12-2015 12:47 PM
    no I didn't :S but I will try using the Google Android Device Manager. thank you
    05-12-2015 12:50 PM
    No one considered it possibly being a stolen phone? Not only will the fingerprint not work, but she (if it's not a fake account) also forgot the backup password and the google account? I find that pretty unlikely but I know I shouldn't assume things. Sorry. Best of luck to ya!
    We assume the best here But we also don't encourage stealing, so we don't go around the 'legal' ways of doing things. In this case, without at least the Google account password, unfortunately, not much to be done
    WinU likes this.
    05-12-2015 12:51 PM
    no I didn't :S but I will try using the Google Android Device Manager. thank you
    There's a password recovery option in your Google account, but you needed to have set up either a backup e-mail account or a cell phone number they can text you to. If you set that up, might try it, and once you get access to your Google account, try the Device Manager to unlock your device.
    05-12-2015 12:58 PM