Just got my first Samsung and it's the S6. Anyone care to help?

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, recently upgraded from a HTC one m7 after refusing to never get a Samsung due to touchwiz and build materials, I've finally been swayed. Love it. Few questions though, one thing I miss is the ability to group apps outside of the home screen. Can that only be done with a launcher? If so which do you recommend. Also got any neat tips and tricks to get the most out the phone and camera? Im not used to having a functioning one due to the one on my m7 getting the dreaded purple tinge a year in. Thanks guys
!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, recently upgraded from a HTC one m7 after refusing to never get a Samsung due to touchwiz and build materials, I've finally been swayed. Love it. Few questions though, one thing I miss is the ability to group apps outside of the home screen. Can that only be done with a launcher? If so which do you recommend. Also got any neat tips and tricks to get the most out the phone and camera? Im not used to having a functioning one due to the one on my m7 getting the dreaded purple tinge a year in. Thanks guys
!

Disable the Briefing tab.
Developer Options all to 0.5
Disable as much bloat
Only synch Google options that you need.
Give Touch Wiz a try

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
!

You can group apps either on the home screen or in the app drawer. In the app drawer, tap edit on the top right and slide one app on top of another. This will create a folder. You can name the folder and also set a color.

Also, then you can move that folder to any home screen you wish making it easy to group.

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Disable the Briefing tab.
Developer Options all to 0.5
Disable as much bloat
Only synch Google options that you need.
Give Touch Wiz a try

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Get another launcher as fast as you can and then you wont have to mess with the developer options. Turn off WiFi scanning and enjoy your new phone. You don't have to go crazy crippling it to get great performance. Have fun.

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you dude I was obviously being incredibly blind haha. Rearranging now! Erm whilst I'm here what's your views in battery consumption? I.e should I let it drain before recharging?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
!

You can group apps in the app drawer by pressing the Edit button in the app drawer. Should be in the top corner.

To get most out of the camera, best bet would be to practice. Just go out take shots, see what works, what doesn't. Then have a read on some camera guides for manual controls. Doesn't matter if you keep taking shots that look bad, eventually you'll get the hang of some manual controls and start pumping out some nice shots.

The auto mode on the S6 is already really quite good though.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you dude I was obviously being incredibly blind haha. Rearranging now! Erm whilst I'm here what's your views in battery consumption? I.e should I let it drain before recharging?

No you don't have to do anything special like draining. It's all set.

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Awesome ☺. The temptation to go nude with this phone is so much.. It's beautiful and feels amazing. Still, anyone recommend some good lightweight cases? And any other tips to get the most of this great phone would be much appreciated! Thanks.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Awesome ☺. The temptation to go nude with this phone is so much.. It's beautiful and feels amazing. Still, anyone recommend some good lightweight cases? And any other tips to get the most of this great phone would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I never use a case. This thing is too nice to wrap in plastic. Some guys actually use cases that double the size of the phone.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
The S6 hardware is awesome. Touchwizz on the other hand is much worse than Sense, get a launcher asap.

dreaming of electric sheep

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

I like going nude too. Police don't like it much......

I use an otterbox defender. So I'm one of those guys that doubles the size of the phone. Why? Cause i work in a hostile environment. Between my mack truck and wife, i need all the protection i can get!!

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Oh, don't let out drain past 30% to much. Li ion Batts don't like it to much.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Try Ringke Fusion or Flex both Crystal clear and extremely thin, as close as naked as possible with hood protection, just in case.

Last edited:

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

Here is a video by Rhino Shield that shows that even with no bulk (so you can still see your beautiful phone :D) your phone will still be protected from high drops on concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0aWyukAzs

What else do you need? hehe I'm waiting for one end of the month, and i'm so sad that nobody knows about this brand on this forum!!

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the posts everyone! Got to say that after a few days with touchwiz it is actually really not offensive at all haha. Just wishing for more darker coloured themes to arrive as the bright toy colours don't really sit well with me. Aside from that I'm actually enjoying it.
May even keep touchwiz.

And holy hell this phone is nice. Fast, great looks and the camera is unbelievable!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey,

Here is a video by Rhino Shield that shows that even with no bulk (so you can still see your beautiful phone :D) your phone will still be protected from high drops on concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0aWyukAzs

What else do you need? hehe I'm waiting for one end of the month, and i'm so sad that nobody knows about this brand on this forum!!

Impressive. How about from double the distance?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the posts everyone! Got to say that after a few days with touchwiz it is actually really not offensive at all haha. Just wishing for more darker coloured themes to arrive as the bright toy colours don't really sit well with me. Aside from that I'm actually enjoying it.
May even keep touchwiz.

And holy hell this phone is nice. Fast, great looks and the camera is unbelievable!

TouchWiz is slimmed down and more unified. Give it a chance before trying a third party launcher. I thought I read that the calendar and clock icons don't function on some third party launchers. I am sure that if I am wrong, a dozen or so folks will definitely not hesitate to correct me.

Cases...for any cases and there are a ton of nice ones...some already mentioned above. Appearance, ease of install/maintenance, cost, protection against drops/dust and dirt intrusion. The last two being the toughest to balance. Low cost/low,protection COULD mean more cases to replace or a full replacement/insurance claim cost. Anyone that has suffered through my posts knows I am partial to the Otterbox Defender which is by far the slimmest to date for a Galaxy device that I have owned since the GS3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34