Just got my first Samsung and it's the S6. Anyone care to help?

joeszef

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Awesome ☺. The temptation to go nude with this phone is so much.. It's beautiful and feels amazing. Still, anyone recommend some good lightweight cases? And any other tips to get the most of this great phone would be much appreciated! Thanks.
I agree. I bought the gold platinum which shines especially in daylight oh well its slippery though so I bought spigen hybrid ultra clear case. Its lightweight and perfectly fit on the S6 thus maintaning the color and build exposure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
TouchWiz is slimmed down and more unified. Give it a chance before trying a third party launcher. I thought I read that the calendar and clock icons don't function on some third party launchers. I am sure that if I am wrong, a dozen or so folks will definitely not hesitate to correct me.

Cases...for any cases and there are a ton of nice ones...some already mentioned above. Appearance, ease of install/maintenance, cost, protection against drops/dust and dirt intrusion. The last two being the toughest to balance. Low cost/low,protection COULD mean more cases to replace or a full replacement/insurance claim cost. Anyone that has suffered through my posts knows I am partial to the Otterbox Defender which is by far the slimmest to date for a Galaxy device that I have owned since the GS3.

Calendar and clock functions work fine with nova, action and gnl. Although there are so many better options than the stock calendar.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Impressive. How about from double the distance?

They do not show it, but I dont think it would work. 30 feet is quite high!
Their iPhone 5 can be dropped from 25 feet, however the S6 is heavier... maybe they improved their formula? I'm not sure but for me, 15 feet is more than enough, I live on the first floor of my building hehe They have discount for pre-orders only, and they ship next week, you should try and we can compare our reviews

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Go look or read everything about li ion batteries. If you Don't like what they say, Argue with them.

Of course reading everything like you suggested would be impossible but what I did read today made no mention of not using at less than 30%. if you go by that rule then you only use your first 70 percent of your battery and then put it on charge. that makes no sense, what does that give you maybe 2 hours of screen time a day?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
They do not show it, but I dont think it would work. 30 feet is quite high!
Their iPhone 5 can be dropped from 25 feet, however the S6 is heavier... maybe they improved their formula? I'm not sure but for me, 15 feet is more than enough, I live on the first floor of my building hehe They have discount for pre-orders only, and they ship next week, you should try and we can compare our reviews

I'll stick with the Defender as I have had first hand experience watching a smartphone go bouncing down a flight of concrete stairs. Didn't know a smartphone could round the corner between the two sets of stairs as well as bounce up and hit a wall. Phone was still working and not cracked screen.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Of course reading everything like you suggested would be impossible but what I did read today made no mention of not using at less than 30%. if you go by that rule then you only use your first 70 percent of your battery and then put it on charge. that makes no sense, what does that give you maybe 2 hours of screen time a day?

I plugged my phone in at 35% and per gsam I had 3hrs 56min sot with 16.5 hrs off the charger. I'm consistently getting 3.5hr or more without letting run down low maybe that's not the norm. The one time I did let it get into the teens I had 4hrs 42min.

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I'll stick with the Defender as I have had first hand experience watching a smartphone go bouncing down a flight of concrete stairs. Didn't know a smartphone could round the corner between the two sets of stairs as well as bounce up and hit a wall. Phone was still working and not cracked screen.

Well, from a technical point of view, a set of stairs is a lot easier than a free fall drop. The energy on impact is a lot lower, as there are many small impact instead of one big impact, and many bumpers will do that for concrete. The challenge really is the free fall. I have no doubt that the rhino shield will work wonder if my phone (fingers crossed) falls on stairs ^^

I choose for slim and protective instead of bulky and protective :p one week to wait...

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

http://www.howtogeek.com/169669/debunking-battery-life-myths-for-mobile-phones-tablets-and-laptops/

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/899-battery-myths-li-ion-battery-management

Some say not to discharge below 50% and some say 20%....but 30% is an average for optimal battery management. Of coarse is all subjective and of coarse, they don't say don't do it, but they recommend it. If you read just those 3 articles, you'll understand. In fact, they all say to charge as often as you can, usually between 40 and 70%.

Those are a just a few. Google it. There's more.

Last edited:

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

Here is a video by Rhino Shield that shows that even with no bulk (so you can still see your beautiful phone :D) your phone will still be protected from high drops on concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0aWyukAzs

What else do you need? hehe I'm waiting for one end of the month, and i'm so sad that nobody knows about this brand on this forum!!

Man that case looks ace... So I'm right In thinking it just wraps around the aluminium and weighs down when dropped?

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Man that case looks ace... So I'm right In thinking it just wraps around the aluminium and weighs down when dropped?

The case only goes around the edges of your device, you can fully see the screen and the back of the device. It also seems to protect the camera according to their costumer service (I havent actually had this treasure in my hands yet). They use egg drop technology andhoneycomb pattern, its pretty well explained on their channel. Their kickstarter project for iphone did huge!! i'm so happy they do it for samsung s6 now. Anyway,otterbox & co need to buy them quickly before they destroy them

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The case only goes around the edges of your device, you can fully see the screen and the back of the device. It also seems to protect the camera according to their costumer service (I havent actually had this treasure in my hands yet). They use egg drop technology andhoneycomb pattern, its pretty well explained on their channel. Their kickstarter project for iphone did huge!! i'm so happy they do it for samsung s6 now. Anyway,otterbox & co need to buy them quickly before they destroy them

It's a great looking product and impressive. Bulk differs from one person to the next. Whatever works best for you. Those high drops are rare but the back is still glass. This Defender version is by far and away the slimmest.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, for the back they have screen protectors :) They take on hammer hits!

Try hammering down your defender hehe

Otterbox is unable to provide a bumper that is able to absorb enough shock because there engineers cant do it, that is why they need a case with the back~ but if the material is good enough, I guess a back cover is only necessary when then impacting on a rock or something sharp (not a plane surface), and in that situation, the screen protectors do an even better job :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, for the back they have screen protectors :) They take on hammer hits!

Try hammering down your defender hehe

Otterbox is unable to provide a bumper that is able to absorb enough shock because there engineers cant do it, that is why they need a case with the back~ but if the material is good enough, I guess a back cover is only necessary when then impacting on a rock or something sharp (not a plane surface), and in that situation, the screen protectors do an even better job :)

I am thinking that Rhino has a patent. Hammer vs actual drop, rather not gamble. I am confident that it will survive including the camera hump on the OEM which no screen protector can mitigate alone. Whatever works for you is great.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I am not sure I follow you. The drops are protected by the bumper. If it is side drop or face/back drop, the bumper will do great. If a glass falls on the phone or my phone drops on the corner of a table or chair, the screen protector will take it head on. In this new age of technology, material formula becomes more important than thickness/bulkiness :)

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep.

Then you guys might want to take the jobs of the people who test them. Being as you think your right and all.....not saying they are 100% accurate but they know allot more than you. Period.

Last edited:

Stitchfame

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I used to let my phone battery drop to 10% or less during its first year, the battery became so short so quick. Same for my macbook. bought a new macbook since then and my wife's S5 and the battery are holding a lot better (not just small difference) by not letting them drop. I never go to bed without plugging my laptop. And after 6 months my battery is still able to go the distance. I will tend to believe li-on batteries should not go under 50%, its better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam