On the fence for Nova...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just read the thread about the stock weather widget. If you have Nova, why do have to go icon packs, import widgets or load park files over XDA? Reading these types of posts are not exactly giving me an incentive to try. Nova again.

Huh? You don't. I simply use the lollipop theme on Nova and use my normal widgets.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Huh? You don't. I simply use the lollipop theme on Nova and use my normal widgets.

Please go read the Weather widget thread. I apologize if my context isn't clear. FYI. I mean this in the most positively sincere way possible. I am offended by the "Huh?" that starts a great many of your replies to my posts. Never claimed to be an expert. If I ask a question, it is to learn and increase my knowledge and undestanding.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Please go read the Weather widget thread. I apologize if my context isn't clear. FYI. I mean this in the most positively sincere way possible. I am offended by the "Huh?" that starts a great many of your replies to my posts. Never claimed to be an expert. If I ask a question, it is to learn and increase my knowledge and undestanding.
It could be worse, he could've used "lolwut??"

😁

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

As simply as I can put it, all Nova does is replace TW as a pure launcher but with more options and settings. Once installed and set to be your default launcher, it's up to you what you do with it, and how deep into it you get. Just like when you first get your phone, you have to set everything up with TW ... well, you have to do the same once you install Nova.

That's all you are really hearing about people downloading stuff to "customize" it.

Point being, if you want ANY widgets other than what comes on the phone, you have to DL them and set them up - same for TW or Nova ...

You want custom icons? You have to DL and install them - same for TW or Nova ...

so on and so forth.

Long story short, if you like TW and don't care about gestures, more dense home screen grids, being able to use custom made icons YOU make to replace what you see on the home screen, etc... then there is NOTHING wrong with TW.

for those of us who want either a little more or a lot more customization, well ... there are third party launchers, like Nova.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As simply as I can put it, all Nova does is replace TW as a pure launcher but with more options and settings. Once installed and set to be your default launcher, it's up to you what you do with it, and how deep into it you get. Just like when you first get your phone, you have to set everything up with TW ... well, you have to do the same once you install Nova.

That's all you are really hearing about people downloading stuff to "customize" it.

Point being, if you want ANY widgets other than what comes on the phone, you have to DL them and set them up - same for TW or Nova ...

You want custom icons? You have to DL and install them - same for TW or Nova ...

so on and so forth.

Long story short, if you like TW and don't care about gestures, more dense home screen grids, being able to use custom made icons YOU make to replace what you see on the home screen, etc... then there is NOTHING wrong with TW.

for those of us who want either a little more or a lot more customization, well ... there are third party launchers, like Nova.

Thanks very much. Learned more about Nova and what makes it attractive in one post. I appreciate your thorough explanation instead of the sarcasm of others.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
To add to my above post ... I don't necessarily care for downloadable icon packs ... I like making my own. The ones I'm using now are all 100% made by me ... Seeing as how I don't know how to make actual "icons", I have made these as "images" and can replace the app shortcuts on my home screens with the image/icons I made myself - using Nova of course.

All you have to do is long-press on the app icon, then it pops up a menu, one of the options is "edit". Click that, and you can choose to replace the icon, the app name, etc.

Home Screen:

Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-52-15.png

Phone Screen:

Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-56-09.png

Secondary Apps & Settings Screen:

Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-56-16.png

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sorry if you were offended. I meant nothing by it.. But you say some things without explaining and I'm not sure where you're pulling the information from. If someone claims something on the forum.. You or anyone.. I'll question where it came from so I can review for myself. It's the best way to learn :).

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if you were offended. I meant nothing by it.. But you say some things without explaining and I'm not sure where you're pulling the information from. If someone claims something on the forum.. You or anyone.. I'll question where it came from so I can review for myself. It's the best way to learn :).

I will try to be more clear going forward.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Ive just give back from Nova to stock because my phone was lagging horribly. It seems to be okay again now.

Anyone else noticed Nova causing slow down? Particularly in the app picker

Posted via the Android Central App

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Ive just give back from Nova to stock because my phone was lagging horribly. It seems to be okay again now.

Anyone else noticed Nova causing slow down? Particularly in the app picker

Posted via the Android Central App

Did you have the latest version of Nova installed?

dreaming of electric sheep

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
To add to my above post ... I don't necessarily care for downloadable icon packs ... I like making my own. The ones I'm using now are all 100% made by me ... Seeing as how I don't know how to make actual "icons", I have made these as "images" and can replace the app shortcuts on my home screens with the image/icons I made myself - using Nova of course.

All you have to do is long-press on the app icon, then it pops up a menu, one of the options is "edit". Click that, and you can choose to replace the icon, the app name, etc.

Home Screen:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-52-15.png

Phone Screen:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-56-09.png

Secondary Apps & Settings Screen:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-15-19-56-16.png
How did u get those 2 widgets Time/Weather & Calendar. I'm using nova hold down on the screen select widgets but cannot see these widgets?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
How did u get those 2 widgets Time/Weather & Calendar. I'm using nova hold down on the screen select widgets but cannot see these widgets?
I believe that you will have to import them if you are looking for the ones from TouchWiz.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

That is actually a single widget ... you won't find that exact one anywhere because I made it myself using an app called UCCW.

If you are interested in getting the app (free app in the play store) I will be happy to give you the widget and the weather icons (yes, I even custom made my weather icons).

I can also change the golden colors to something else if you really want.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
That is actually a single widget ... you won't find that exact one anywhere because I made it myself using an app called UCCW.

If you are interested in getting the app (free app in the play store) I will be happy to give you the widget and the weather icons (yes, I even custom made my weather icons).

I can also change the golden colors to something else if you really want.

You gotta love Android, don't you? I don't remember if you have posted that you were using am iPhone before but I can't see a guy like you using an iPhone, knowing that it will look the same than 99% of the others out there.

I had 3 iPhones in a row before I decided to give it a try to Android with the Galaxy S a couple of years back, and I haven't looked back and really can't see myself going back to iTunes and Apple prison in general, great phones for the simple guys but not for people like me and you as far as I can see, BMW, great job man, your customizations look great.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed a difference in performance between Nova and stock?

Very slight. I ran both Nova and stock through their paces a couple of weeks ago using an excellent app called RAM truth and here were my results

On the topic of widgets, yes you can find subs for the proprietary OEM widgets. But the best ad free clock/weather ones are often monetized either as paid apps or monetized by sending data to ad list agencies in the background even though no overt ads are showing.This is mostly a nitpick but there's just something that bugs me about having to turn to subs for things that are already good quality and available on my phone already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC