On the fence for Nova...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Very slight. I ran both Nova and stock through their paces a couple of weeks ago using an excellent app called RAM truth and here were my results

On the topic of widgets, yes you can find subs for the proprietary OEM widgets. But the best ad free clock/weather ones are often monetized either as paid apps or monetized by sending data to ad list agencies in the background even though no overt ads are showing.This is mostly a nitpick but there's just something that bugs me about having to turn to subs for things that are already good quality and available on my phone already.

Thanks very much.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
You gotta love Android, don't you? I don't remember if you have posted that you were using am iPhone before but I can't see a guy like you using an iPhone, knowing that it will look the same than 99% of the others out there.

I had 3 iPhones in a row before I decided to give it a try to Android with the Galaxy S a couple of years back, and I haven't looked back and really can't see myself going back to iTunes and Apple prison in general, great phones for the simple guys but not for people like me and you as far as I can see, BMW, great job man, your customizations look great.

Thanks! Yes, I did have a few iphones in the past, then switched to Android and can't see myself going back to Apple.

Truth is, the iPhones are VERY good phones. Functionally, they are more than fine. It's just that you have to use the phone they way THEY want you to use is. For most people, that seems to be a non-issue. But for those who like to customize a little (or a lot), or just be a tad more unique with their device, then you MUST go android.

As for the widget ... that entire top portion is one widget ... clock, weather and date. I even added in hotspots so when I tap on the time, it pulls up my alarm app ... tap on the main weather reading, and it pulls up my weather app. I used to have the date set to pull up my calendar, but decided that once I had my itinerary calendar on the home screen, I don't need that anymore, since I can tap on that widget to pull up my calendar (which makes me start to wonder why I even have my calendar app out on the home screen LOL).

Anyway, my offer still stands for anyone who wants that widget. The UCCW app is awesome. I recall finding it on XDA years ago, and downloaded a widget very similar to the one I am using ... I used that as a starting point to figure out how to use the app to make my own widgets, and then customized that one for me. If I wanted (which I am heavily considering), I can make a "copy" of the stock TW Clock/Weather widget for the S6. The only thing holding me back right now is figuring out all the weather icons so that I can match them. Then again, I can probably guestimate pretty close and produce a widget that is similar enough.

FYI, the UCCW app is not restricted to just text stuff ... you can also add background images, and all sorts of stuff to make almost any look you want. I have seen some pretty amazing widgets with UCCW that include all sorts of things such little icons for their mail, messages, etc. with unread counts on them ... battery life percentages set in circles with a ring around the outside that slowly "ticks down" as battery life decreases, etc.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@jcp007 ...

I have read enough of your posts to know that all you're trying to do is gather good, accurate, factual info on things, so I don't take any offense to your posts.

That said, you do seem to be quite interested in Nova right now. We are trying to answer all your questions, but the truth will always be that the best way to find out most of your answers - as well as find out what other questions to ask - is to just install the program.

It's totally non-intrusive. Switching back and forth between TW and Nova is simple, and installing NOVA and changing to use it instead of TW does not change your TW interface at all. They exist separately.

Also, with Nova, you can set up your desktop one way, and save it (with a backup) ... then change it all around, and save it that way. Then, you can switch back and forth between different Nova setups with the click of a button, as well as flipping back and forth between TW and Nova as your launchers.

Long story short, Nova (non prime) is free. I would highly recommend that you download/install it to play with it. That WILL answer a LOT of your questions, and probably lead to even more pertinent questions about Nova.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
@jcp007 ...

I have read enough of your posts to know that all you're trying to do is gather good, accurate, factual info on things, so I don't take any offense to your posts.

That said, you do seem to be quite interested in Nova right now. We are trying to answer all your questions, but the truth will always be that the best way to find out most of your answers - as well as find out what other questions to ask - is to just install the program.

It's totally non-intrusive. Switching back and forth between TW and Nova is simple, and installing NOVA and changing to use it instead of TW does not change your TW interface at all. They exist separately.

Also, with Nova, you can set up your desktop one way, and save it (with a backup) ... then change it all around, and save it that way. Then, you can switch back and forth between different Nova setups with the click of a button, as well as flipping back and forth between TW and Nova as your launchers.

Long story short, Nova (non prime) is free. I would highly recommend that you download/install it to play with it. That WILL answer a LOT of your questions, and probably lead to even more pertinent questions about Nova.

What do get with Prime?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! Yes, I did have a few iphones in the past, then switched to Android and can't see myself going back to Apple.

Truth is, the iPhones are VERY good phones. Functionally, they are more than fine. It's just that you have to use the phone they way THEY want you to use is. For most people, that seems to be a non-issue. But for those who like to customize a little (or a lot), or just be a tad more unique with their device, then you MUST go android.

As for the widget ... that entire top portion is one widget ... clock, weather and date. I even added in hotspots so when I tap on the time, it pulls up my alarm app ... tap on the main weather reading, and it pulls up my weather app. I used to have the date set to pull up my calendar, but decided that once I had my itinerary calendar on the home screen, I don't need that anymore, since I can tap on that widget to pull up my calendar (which makes me start to wonder why I even have my calendar app out on the home screen LOL).

Anyway, my offer still stands for anyone who wants that widget. The UCCW app is awesome. I recall finding it on XDA years ago, and downloaded a widget very similar to the one I am using ... I used that as a starting point to figure out how to use the app to make my own widgets, and then customized that one for me. If I wanted (which I am heavily considering), I can make a "copy" of the stock TW Clock/Weather widget for the S6. The only thing holding me back right now is figuring out all the weather icons so that I can match them. Then again, I can probably guestimate pretty close and produce a widget that is similar enough.

FYI, the UCCW app is not restricted to just text stuff ... you can also add background images, and all sorts of stuff to make almost any look you want. I have seen some pretty amazing widgets with UCCW that include all sorts of things such little icons for their mail, messages, etc. with unread counts on them ... battery life percentages set in circles with a ring around the outside that slowly "ticks down" as battery life decreases, etc.

The one posted on XDA that uses Xwidgets is very very close to stock Weather widget, I don't know if the app you use is compatible with Xwidgets, but if it is then it's already done, just copy the folder to the app folder and put it to work, otherwise, you can give Xwidget a try and just use it for that specific widget and will save you the work.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
What do get with Prime?

From the Play Store.

• Icon Themes - Find thousands of icon themes for Nova Launcher on the Play Store
• Subgrid positioning - Much greater control than standard launchers, Nova Launcher allows you to snap icons or widgets half way through the desktop grid cells
• Color controls - for labels, folders, unread badges, drawer tabs and backgrounds
• Customize App Drawer - Custom tabs, Vertical or Horizontal scrolling, Custom effects
• Improved Widget Drawer - Widgets grouped by app makes it much faster to use
• Infinite scroll - Never far from your favorite page, loop through the desktop or drawer continuously
• Backup/Restore - Sophisticated backup/restore system allowing you to backup your desktop layout and launcher settings
• Scrollable Dock - Create multiple docks and scroll between them
• Widgets in dock - Place any widget in your dock, such as a 4x1 music player widget
• Import Layout - No need to rebuild your desktop from scratch, Nova Launcher can import from most popular launchers. Including the one that came with your phone.
• Fast - Nova Launcher is highly optimized to do it's work quickly and quietly, keeping the animations smooth and letting you use your phone as fast as you can move your fingers.

Nova Launcher Prime
Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
From the Play Store.

Nova Launcher Prime
Unlock the following extras by purchasing Nova Launcher Prime
• Gestures - Swipe, pinch, double tap and more on the home screen to open your favorite apps
• Unread Counts - Never miss a message. Unread count badges for Hangouts, SMS, Gmail and more using the TeslaUnread plugin
• Custom Drawer Groups - Create new tabs or folders in the app drawer
• Hide Apps - Keep a clean app drawer by hiding never used apps
• Icon Swipes - Set custom actions for swiping on app shortcuts or folders
• More scroll effects - Such as Wipe, Accordion, and Throw
TVM. Really appreciate it.

sam00

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
That is actually a single widget ... you won't find that exact one anywhere because I made it myself using an app called UCCW.

If you are interested in getting the app (free app in the play store) I will be happy to give you the widget and the weather icons (yes, I even custom made my weather icons).

I can also change the golden colors to something else if you really want.
Wiggum yes please would love to have the exact weather and calender widgets with the same colouring, background or theme. It looks so amazing your home screen well done!

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to do any of what you said with nova. You keep talking nova down for some reason....dude, nova blows the doors off touchwiz in every aspect. That's just a fact.

Posted via the Android Central App
While I still use (and love) Nova, the "upgrade" to Nova 4.0 is a complete disaster. I really wish there was some way I could reinstall the previous version after this train wreck "upgrade."

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
While I still use (and love) Nova, the "upgrade" to Nova 4.0 is a complete disaster. I really wish there was some way I could reinstall the previous version after this train wreck "upgrade."

I disagree with you. I really liked the new update and everything is working just great. But if you want to go back to the previous version you can download it from novalauncher.com

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

The new Nova upgrade is much better than the old buggy version. Everything works as it should with even more choices and better design.

dreaming of electric sheep

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
The new Nova upgrade is much better than the old buggy version. Everything works as it should with even more choices and better design.

dreaming of electric sheep

The previous version of Nova was/is on my GS4, and it wasn't buggy as far as I know ... worked/works perfectly for me. And it doesn't matter to me at all if the menu system & settings in Nova follow the whole "material design" thing or not. It's still the same thing, just different colors/look.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I'd just uninstall/reinstall Nova. Just be sure to set up a current backup in Nova before you do it.

Looks to me like a random one-off gremlin that will go away with a reinstall.

Sorry, that was some sleepy user error. I'd applied a screenshot as a wallpaper by mistake. I then applied a backup which didn't help. Simply applying the wallpaper again set things right.

I've set up Nova for the most part. No fancy icon pack yet but it's great so far besides not settling on one of those. One thing, I wish it offered the Touchwiz style app drawer icon as I'm not into the Lollipop app drawer or icon. I've removed the card style app drawer and went with the app drawer gesture instead.

EDIT: Got rid of those page markers on the homescreen also.

Attachments

• 1432400674369.jpg
    1432400674369.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1432401231576.jpg
    1432401231576.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been using Nova (Prime) for a year or so and really enjoy it. Based on some of the screenshots I am seeing here I now know I am missing how to make my wallpaper my background. I know its easy but I have likely missed it somewhere. Can someone point it out for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2