I know this is going to seem like blasphemy but is there a way to get iMessage to work on the S6?

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The reason I brought this up was today I had to work in a basement where I had cell signal only Wifi. My coworker who was with me had an iPhone texting away and me who tried to text my girl couldn't get a signal to send a text. I know what people are going to say, "use hangouts" but my girl isn't tech savy and only uses iMessage. Unfortunately hangouts doesn't let you use your own phone number to send text over Wifi. Any solutions out there?

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
The reason I brought this up was today I had to work in a basement where I had cell signal only Wifi. My coworker who was with me had an iPhone texting away and me who tried to text my girl couldn't get a signal to send a text. I know what people are going to say, "use hangouts" but my girl isn't tech savy and only uses iMessage. Unfortunately hangouts doesn't let you use your own phone number to send text over Wifi. Any solutions out there?

DM Her on Insta/Twitter
Message her on FB
Send Email's
Download a Texting app and have her save the texting app number in her phone (when your using wi-fi)
Kik

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I know I just can't tell you to switch carriers, but T-Mobile does offer Wifi-calling/texting. It definitely comes in handy. Also, T-Mobile newer bands help with building penetration. Maybe its something you should look into.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I know I just can't tell you to switch carriers, but T-Mobile does offer Wifi-calling/texting. It definitely comes in handy. Also, T-Mobile newer bands help with building penetration. Maybe its something you should look into.

Don't they have some kind of test drive plan? If so maybe I'll try that

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Att has said that it is coming some time in 2015. Gotta give apple it's due... imessage is a pretty sweet and ubiquitous messaging system for iPhone users.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

I just like it for the text over Wifi honestly. Plus it seems pretty reliable which is something I was hoping Hangouts would become.

shadow82x

Apr 4, 2015
Visit site
There are quite a few apps that you can use wifi to text from your own phone number. I use Verizon Messages. There is also mighty text and a few others. It's also cross platform so you can access it on other devices.

ivanmmj

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Sprint also does Wifi Calling and texting.
If you want to use the same number and you were on Sprint, you could also do Google Voice integration and use your phone's number through Google Voice. This lets you text from any browser and the text will still come from your number.

#sprintemployee

s0nic_201

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I think what your looking for is RCS. (Rich Communications Suite). It works just like imessage but the carrier has to deploy it on their network/server side. T-mobile was said to be working on this for their customers.

zackmack7

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I just like it for the text over Wifi honestly. Plus it seems pretty reliable which is something I was hoping Hangouts would become.

Same. I was banking on Hangouts becoming more robust. Never happened, and now I'm not sure it ever will. Not that I need it as much now as I did before.