05-16-2015 03:10 PM
45 12
tools
    Has anyone found a widget that's very similar to the stock 4X1 Clock/Weather widget? I'll definitely miss that clean widget when I switch to Nova.
    Yes. Digital Clock Xperia. It will provide precisely what you're looking for. While Beautiful Widgets does have a lot of great bells and whistles, this should provide what you seek.
    Attached Thumbnails Am I the only one that likes the stock launcher?-screenshot_2015-05-15-13-08-39.jpg  
    erasat and deeb215 like this.
    05-15-2015 12:10 PM
    Same with me. I used to love tweaking and customizing my phone. But now it just doesn't seem necessary. TW works.
    This is exactly my thinking. I tend to go crazy with constant customization when I have that option. I end up changing things constantly and getting board too easy. Mainly I have downloaded another launcher because it's actually smoother than the old touch wiz. Now, I don't feel the need as its plenty fast.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-15-2015 12:29 PM
    Really like TW after hating it due to how intrusive it was. Actually love it on this phone. It works smoothly, it keeps to itself. Saying that I haven't tried another launcher yet but with the hope that more 'adult' themes come along I'm happy with it.
    anon(464338) likes this.
    05-15-2015 12:48 PM
    Not a huge fan of Touch Wiz UI and User Experience. I think it's more complicated than a more streamlined Apex Launcher. Plus.. The icon design is awful, and since Material Design is being pushed forward I made a mix of material icons and Apex.. Check my screens hot (However, I love the stock Locksreen.
    Attached Thumbnails Am I the only one that likes the stock launcher?-1431712296682.jpg  
    05-15-2015 12:51 PM
    The one thing I was not too keen on was the Flip board screen but I like the news being there as I usually have a page dedicated to news anyway. Hopefully they work on the amount of content and smoothness.

Flipboard was the first thing the Samsung rep suggested disabling.
    05-15-2015 01:04 PM
    Flipboard was the first thing the Samsung rep suggested disabling.
    Amen to that. Hope it gets removed in a future update and replaced.
    05-15-2015 01:13 PM
    Forgot to add -- you can install the TW themes in conjunction with Nova. So don't let that stop you.
    05-15-2015 01:13 PM
    Forgot to add -- you can install the TW themes in conjunction with Nova. So don't let that stop you.
    To each his or her own. But, why get a third party launcher if you are using a theme over TouchWiz? Doing it that way, no need to worry about icons not functioning. I understand that are more features to Nova. Just asking the question as the topic is about the stock one. Am I correct in understanding that Nova does use parts of TouchWiz UI and that it is not a UI replacement?
    05-15-2015 02:43 PM
    There is zero issue with icons not functioning in Nova. The sole limitation is that TW Launcher specific widgets don't make it over. Every other TW function works exactly as it would in TW.

Nova is ONLY a home screen launcher replacement. It does not change anything about the phone, the camera, the shade, etc. That's where themes come in -- themes will change the look of menus and icons across the OS. Nova is limited only to home screens.

Nova brings way more functionality, and if you're willing to replace the weather widget, it's a no brainer. If you wanted, you could modify Nova to look like Touchwiz.
    jcp007 likes this.
    05-15-2015 03:21 PM
    Same with me. I used to love tweaking and customizing my phone. But now it just doesn't seem necessary. TW works.
    Same boat. I love the stock launchers on most of the recent brand flagships. So damn smooth and stable and they're all material Design compliant. I'm willing to give up my tweaking days for that.
    05-15-2015 05:52 PM
    I am enjoying TouchWiz quite a bit, no real issues for the most part. I don't need gestures of anything like that. Then again I'm picky and won't spend all this money on the phone if I don't like it how it looks right out of the box :P I'm not much of a tinkerer though but at least launchers are east to take on and off the phones.

My job involves testing with phones so I've plunked around with quite a few phones and really I think Sony and LG are the only ones I would feel compelled to put a launcher on; especially Sony.
    05-15-2015 10:36 PM
    There is zero issue with icons not functioning in Nova. The sole limitation is that TW Launcher specific widgets don't make it over. Every other TW function works exactly as it would in TW.

Nova is ONLY a home screen launcher replacement. It does not change anything about the phone, the camera, the shade, etc. That's where themes come in -- themes will change the look of menus and icons across the OS. Nova is limited only to home screens.

Nova brings way more functionality, and if you're willing to replace the weather widget, it's a no brainer. If you wanted, you could modify Nova to look like Touchwiz.
    More elaboration on Nova functionality, please. Particularly gestures as well.

Other questions, if you don't use some of the gestures, can't you import new icon packs and widgets and themes into the stock launcher? I've read that performance seems faster on Nova. This seems a little difficult to square as added functionality and content would seem logically to slow performance ever so slightly. Isn't it because it is actually running on top of the UI skin, TouchWiz?
    05-16-2015 07:09 AM

Other questions, if you don't use some of the gestures, can't you import new icon packs and widgets and themes into the stock launcher? I've read that performance seems faster on Nova. This seems a little difficult to square as added functionality and content would seem logically to slow performance ever so slightly. Isn't it because it is actually running on top of the UI skin, TouchWiz?
    Why don't you down load and try the free version? In 10 minutes you can answer all of your own questions.

05-16-2015 07:20 AM
    Why don't you down load and try the free version? In 10 minutes you can answer all of your own questions.

^ this
    05-16-2015 08:29 AM
    ^ this
    Sorry if I am asking too many questions before I try Nova again.
    05-16-2015 08:33 AM

Check my reply to you in the "on the fence for nova" thread where I explained how this works
    05-16-2015 09:35 AM
    Check my reply to you in the "on the fence for nova" thread where I explained how this works
    Thanks very much.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    05-16-2015 09:50 AM
    Google Now Launcher all the way. I don't need bells and whistles.
    05-16-2015 01:30 PM
    Good thing for third party launchers. Touchwiz needs all the help it can get. I used Nova on my N4. It is a wonderful launcher.
    05-16-2015 02:20 PM
    Good thing for third party launchers. Touchwiz needs all the help it can get. I used Nova on my N4. It is a wonderful launcher.
    Wow! Who knew a simple smartphone UI could generate so much disdain. Does TouchWiz need more work? Sure. I say...use whatever works best for you. This iteration is way more streamlined than on my GS3 or GS4. It is also way less dang klunky than the version on my dad's GS5.
    05-16-2015 03:10 PM
45 12