Am I the only one that likes the stock launcher?

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I read most are suggesting to use aftermarket launchers such as Nova as the first thing to download on the phone. Honestly I really find myself liking the new touchwiz launcher which is really odd considering I was on the fence about even going back to Samsung after swearing them off. Ha. Before I'd get a launcher because of smoothness or other options but I don't have that urge this time. I think the fluidity is great, I like the wallpaper effect and am looking forward to more themes. The one thing I was not too keen on was the Flip board screen but I like the news being there as I usually have a page dedicated to news anyway. Hopefully they work on the amount of content and smoothness. That's my only gripe. Anyone else really enjoy the phone as it is besides me?

Posted via the Android Central App

I was ok using the stock launcher, but I switched to the Google Now launcher with my S4 so I kinda missed it using my S6. I have since switched from the default (stock) to the Google Now Launcher.

J

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
1) The only thing you will lose are some of the widgets, notably the TW weather widget and the calendar widget as well. All other TW functions like multi-window all work with Nova.

2) Nova is already updated for Lollipop. There's no need to update it for 5.1.1 compatibility.

3) TW Launcher will be left exactly as it is if you go back. Those settings are frozen.

Nova has a backup feature that's really handy -- I've had to factory reset/provision my phone 5 times in the past month, and Nova's backup and restore function meant that I used almost no effort to get my home screen set up exactly like I had it.

Has anyone found a widget that's very similar to the stock 4X1 Clock/Weather widget? I'll definitely miss that clean widget when I switch to Nova.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone found a widget that's very similar to the stock 4X1 Clock/Weather widget? I'll definitely miss that clean widget when I switch to Nova.

I use Beautiful Widgets lots of styles to choose from. I set it up to be transparent in the widget settings.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I started back using nova as of yesterday and remembered why I loved it so much. Now don't get me wrong I was really liking stock TW but after installing Nova and setting it up the way I like it I'm not going back to TW launcher anytime soon.

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I use stock launcher also. I tried nova and it does much more but tw works just fine for me and I haven't had any problems what so ever.

Same with me. I used to love tweaking and customizing my phone. But now it just doesn't seem necessary. TW works.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Digital Clock Xperia. It will provide precisely what you're looking for. While Beautiful Widgets does have a lot of great bells and whistles, this should provide what you seek.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-15-13-08-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-13-08-39.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 28

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Same with me. I used to love tweaking and customizing my phone. But now it just doesn't seem necessary. TW works.

This is exactly my thinking. I tend to go crazy with constant customization when I have that option. I end up changing things constantly and getting board too easy. Mainly I have downloaded another launcher because it's actually smoother than the old touch wiz. Now, I don't feel the need as its plenty fast.

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Really like TW after hating it due to how intrusive it was. Actually love it on this phone. It works smoothly, it keeps to itself. Saying that I haven't tried another launcher yet but with the hope that more 'adult' themes come along I'm happy with it.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Not a huge fan of Touch Wiz UI and User Experience. I think it's more complicated than a more streamlined Apex Launcher. Plus.. The icon design is awful, and since Material Design is being pushed forward I made a mix of material icons and Apex.. Check my screens hot (However, I love the stock Locksreen.

Attachments

• 1431712296682.jpg
    1431712296682.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 25

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The one thing I was not too keen on was the Flip board screen but I like the news being there as I usually have a page dedicated to news anyway. Hopefully they work on the amount of content and smoothness.

Flipboard was the first thing the Samsung rep suggested disabling.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to add -- you can install the TW themes in conjunction with Nova. So don't let that stop you.
To each his or her own. But, why get a third party launcher if you are using a theme over TouchWiz? Doing it that way, no need to worry about icons not functioning. I understand that are more features to Nova. Just asking the question as the topic is about the stock one. Am I correct in understanding that Nova does use parts of TouchWiz UI and that it is not a UI replacement?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
There is zero issue with icons not functioning in Nova. The sole limitation is that TW Launcher specific widgets don't make it over. Every other TW function works exactly as it would in TW.

Nova is ONLY a home screen launcher replacement. It does not change anything about the phone, the camera, the shade, etc. That's where themes come in -- themes will change the look of menus and icons across the OS. Nova is limited only to home screens.

Nova brings way more functionality, and if you're willing to replace the weather widget, it's a no brainer. If you wanted, you could modify Nova to look like Touchwiz.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Same boat. I love the stock launchers on most of the recent brand flagships. So damn smooth and stable and they're all material Design compliant. I'm willing to give up my tweaking days for that.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I am enjoying TouchWiz quite a bit, no real issues for the most part. I don't need gestures of anything like that. Then again I'm picky and won't spend all this money on the phone if I don't like it how it looks right out of the box :p I'm not much of a tinkerer though but at least launchers are east to take on and off the phones.

My job involves testing with phones so I've plunked around with quite a few phones and really I think Sony and LG are the only ones I would feel compelled to put a launcher on; especially Sony.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
There is zero issue with icons not functioning in Nova. The sole limitation is that TW Launcher specific widgets don't make it over. Every other TW function works exactly as it would in TW.

Nova is ONLY a home screen launcher replacement. It does not change anything about the phone, the camera, the shade, etc. That's where themes come in -- themes will change the look of menus and icons across the OS. Nova is limited only to home screens.

Nova brings way more functionality, and if you're willing to replace the weather widget, it's a no brainer. If you wanted, you could modify Nova to look like Touchwiz.
More elaboration on Nova functionality, please. Particularly gestures as well.

Other questions, if you don't use some of the gestures, can't you import new icon packs and widgets and themes into the stock launcher? I've read that performance seems faster on Nova. This seems a little difficult to square as added functionality and content would seem logically to slow performance ever so slightly. Isn't it because it is actually running on top of the UI skin, TouchWiz?

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
More elaboration on Nova functionality, please. Particularly gestures as well.

Other questions, if you don't use some of the gestures, can't you import new icon packs and widgets and themes into the stock launcher? I've read that performance seems faster on Nova. This seems a little difficult to square as added functionality and content would seem logically to slow performance ever so slightly. Isn't it because it is actually running on top of the UI skin, TouchWiz?

Why don't you down load and try the free version? In 10 minutes you can answer all of your own questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance