Am I the only one that likes the stock launcher?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I read most are suggesting to use aftermarket launchers such as Nova as the first thing to download on the phone. Honestly I really find myself liking the new touchwiz launcher which is really odd considering I was on the fence about even going back to Samsung after swearing them off. Ha. Before I'd get a launcher because of smoothness or other options but I don't have that urge this time. I think the fluidity is great, I like the wallpaper effect and am looking forward to more themes. The one thing I was not too keen on was the Flip board screen but I like the news being there as I usually have a page dedicated to news anyway. Hopefully they work on the amount of content and smoothness. That's my only gripe. Anyone else really enjoy the phone as it is besides me?

Posted via the Android Central App

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got an S6 a few days ago, after having an M8 and an S4 previously. While the implementation of Touch Wiz is much better than what I remembered on the S4, I found that the icons were bothering me. They just look cartoonish. In my mind, it belied the sophistication of the underlying hardware. I had downloaded Nova Prime a few times previously, on different phones, but never spent enough time with it to truly appreciate it. After spending about 30 minutes with it, I would never go back. I like the control it gives me over both the appearance and the interface.

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had been using Aviate since it launched, but when they added the Yahoo search bar I quit. I figured that I would use TW until I decided on a new launcher, but I think I'm going to keep using it. It's not horrible and I don't want to go through the drill of setting up something new.

stesyl

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I had been using Aviate since it launched, but when they added the Yahoo search bar I quit. I figured that I would use TW until I decided on a new launcher, but I think I'm going to keep using it. It's not horrible and I don't want to go through the drill of setting up something new.

I'm using aviate, and the search bar isn't there anymore. Everyone complained about it after the update, and they removed it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I much prefer the stock launcher over Google now which I used on my previous nexus 5. I'm very satisfied with it.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Stock is fine but I decided I'll experiment with Nova Prime this weekend. I'm giving it a trial run mainly for the gestures and different folder designs.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Clearly the OP isn't the only one that likes TW Launcher, but once you start using gestures in Nova, everything else sucks.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Clearly the OP isn't the only one that likes TW Launcher, but once you start using gestures in Nova, everything else sucks.

It's not just the gestures in Nova ... at least not for me. Nova lets you do SOOOO many other things that I really love. It allows you to have a scrollable dock ... It allows greater subdivision of the home screen grid ... it allows you to change icons for any and all apps on your home screens ... it gives you lots of folder options if you're into that ... it also allows you to get more notification badges than you can with stock TW ... It also allows you to have your "app drawer" icon placed where you want it as opposed to being shoved to the far right of the dock.

None of those things are something that you just "must have" so to speak, but all of those things are such simple little tweaks that can make a huge world of difference in how you use the phone and how it looks. I've been using Nova for almost a few years now, and whenever I try to give TW a try again (which I have a few times since I got my S6), I keep finding that I just much prefer Nova for the extra customization it gives me.

And, the truth of the matter is, Nova is every bit as smooth and snappy as the stock TW launcher, so it's not like you sacrifice anything by changing to Nova.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
+1. I like the stock launcher fine. I disabled that briefing page to the left of the home screen.

Same here. Touchwiz is much better than when I migrated to the Android ecosystem. Icons don't bother me but waiting for a theme where it's professional and the clock and calendar icons work. Touchwiz has left such a bad taste with some expecting Apple optimization. Give it a try for at least a week before jumping on a third party launcher.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
If Samsung took away Flipboard, replaced it with Google Now, and redesigned their icons to be flatter I think more people would be happy with the launcher. I personally use it, but that's because I like to use phones as they're intended.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using the stock launcher. This is the first time I haven't installed Nova in the first few days. I have a feeling eventually I'll get bored and want to change things up, for now though I'm perfectly happy with TouchWiz. I can't believe I just said that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No. I used to for a long time.. Just yesterday I decided to try out Nova on this phone (I used it on others).

I will admit I do like the grid size on Nova.. And the lollipop theme :).

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I use stock launcher also. I tried nova and it does much more but tw works just fine for me and I haven't had any problems what so ever.

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If I decide to try Nova is there anything that will stop working as with the stock TW?
When the S6 receives 5.1, will Nova 4 need to be updated?
One last question, if I switch back to TZ, will my home screen and icon placement be the same?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If I decide to try Nova is there anything that will stop working as with the stock TW?
When the S6 receives 5.1, will Nova 4 need to be updated?
One last question, if I switch back to TZ, will my home screen and icon placement be the same?

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
1) The only thing you will lose are some of the widgets, notably the TW weather widget and the calendar widget as well. All other TW functions like multi-window all work with Nova.

2) Nova is already updated for Lollipop. There's no need to update it for 5.1.1 compatibility.

3) TW Launcher will be left exactly as it is if you go back. Those settings are frozen.

Nova has a backup feature that's really handy -- I've had to factory reset/provision my phone 5 times in the past month, and Nova's backup and restore function meant that I used almost no effort to get my home screen set up exactly like I had it.