Hey there,

As the title asks, I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Google Cardboard with the S6 yet.

-What did you think of the experience?
    -Did you have any technical issues?

I'm considering ordering a cheap kit from Amazon...
    05-15-2015 08:58 AM
    https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

Interesting. Thanks. I'll take a look later.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    05-15-2015 09:04 AM
    It's cool-ish, maybe not worth the $20 I dropped on it, but it amused the family for a weekend.

There are a few issues with Cardboard that are annoying:

1) The rubber band to secure the phone flat out sucks. It gets in the way of the right side of the screen and it's a pain to slip the S6 under the rubber band just so.

2) There's no way (that I could find) to control the Cardboard app interface without opening up the front repeatedly. After one weekend, the velcro holding it down is on the verge of being shot. Then you tap the screen but the darn rubber band keeps getting in your way.

3) The apps are fun... for about 15 minutes. Nothing substantial to keep me going back, although Photospheres are hella cool looking with VR.

4) As the name states, it's made of cardboard. I used it for one weekend and it looks like it went through the wringer. I didn't even use it that much. It collecting dust now.

5) Believe it or not, even with 577ppi, there is still a very noticeable screen door effect.

BTW, the S6 gets really hot, but it is what it is.
    05-15-2015 09:24 AM
    It's cool-ish, maybe not worth the $20 I dropped on it, but it amused the family for a weekend.

There are a few issues with Cardboard that are annoying:

1) The rubber band to secure the phone flat out sucks. It gets in the way of the right side of the screen and it's a pain to slip the S6 under the rubber band just so.

2) There's no way (that I could find) to control the Cardboard app interface without opening up the front repeatedly. After one weekend, the velcro holding it down is on the verge of being shot. Then you tap the screen but the darn rubber band keeps getting in your way.

3) The apps are fun... for about 15 minutes. Nothing substantial to keep me going back, although Photospheres are hella cool looking with VR.

4) As the name states, it's made of cardboard. I used it for one weekend and it looks like it went through the wringer. I didn't even use it that much. It collecting dust now.

5) Believe it or not, even with 577ppi, there is still a very noticeable screen door effect.

BTW, the S6 gets really hot, but it is what it is.
    Thanks for the feedback!

-I believe many of the units you can buy have a little switch on the side that allows you to control the interface. (Some look like they don't have that, though).

-I'm interested in the VR cinema experience. I've heard some people use that on flights (as odd as they look) so they feel like they're in a big theatre watching a movie, rather than in a tiny seat on a plane, haha.

-There are some units on Amazon that are actually made of plastic. They have a better compartment for the phone, no elastic necessary. I'm trying to find one that's plastic, has the switch to control, and isn't a fortune...
    05-15-2015 09:31 AM
    Thanks for the feedback!
    -I believe many of the units you can buy have a little switch on the side that allows you to control the interface. (Some look like they don't have that, though).
    It's not the magnet to select options inside the apps, it's the Cardboard app itself which you can use as a VR app launcher. So I have to take off the device, open the front, and switch between apps on the touchscreen. It would be nice if the app launcher could be controlled by head tracking and the magnet, so you could exit one VR app and launch another without having to take it off your head first.
    05-15-2015 10:04 AM
    It's not the magnet to select options inside the apps, it's the Cardboard app itself which you can use as a VR app launcher. So I have to take off the device, open the front, and switch between apps on the touchscreen. It would be nice if the app launcher could be controlled by head tracking and the magnet, so you could exit one VR app and launch another without having to take it off your head first.
    Oh, I see what you're saying. Perhaps a bluetooth mouse would do the trick, or bluetooth gamepad, etc...
    05-15-2015 10:07 AM
    The big positive is that Cardboard is a very cheap way to see what the fuss is all about. On the bright side, you can see where this is going, and it's going to be very cool. Unfortunately, it's not quite there yet.
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-15-2015 10:12 AM
    BTW, I forgot to mention that the unforgiving nature of cardboard means dents in your face after a prolonged session. Especially if you're Asian
    05-15-2015 10:15 AM
    BTW, I forgot to mention that the unforgiving nature of cardboard means dents in your face after a prolonged session. Especially if you're Asian
    Yeah, that's another reason that I want a plastic model with padding for the face, haha.
    05-15-2015 10:51 AM
    Google Cardboard can be a bit annoying in regards to usage, but for 20.00, it works well. Much cheaper than the one from Samsung. I've used it with my new S6 and it is really good. Nice VR without spending the money for something more elaborate.

J
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-15-2015 10:54 AM
    I tried a Samsung Galaxy S6 in both Cardboard and Cardboard 2. I noticed in both cases, it seems to result in a black screen the second time I try one of the apps. E.g. the mouse/hat story will work the first time but be black the second time, so I have to kill and restart the Cardboard app to get it working again. And yes it gets hot.

But the big issue I found is that although S6 looks good in Cardboard (original), it's blurry in Cardboard 2. I do follow the instructions (in the app) to scan the viewer's QR code, but it says it's an unrecognized QR code, so the viewer settings stay at default. Presumably that's why it is blurry, but why isn't the QR code recognized and the app using the proper settings for the new Cardboard viewer?
    BioFanatic likes this.
    06-04-2015 02:48 PM
    Hey there,

As the title asks, I'm wondering if anyone has tried using Google Cardboard with the S6 yet.

-What did you think of the experience?
    -Did you have any technical issues?

I'm considering ordering a cheap kit from Amazon...
    i have the dodocase cardboard.

the experience is underwhelming.

i've literally downloaded pretty much every VR app there is from the play store. theres hardly anything really available to experience.

technical issues will involve a lot of drifting in some of the apps. other than that, not sure what technical issues you would expect from a piece of cardboard and some cheap lenses.

i'd recommend putting some sort of tape on the area where your forehead touches the cardboard. it will get greasy if you dont!
    BioFanatic likes this.
    06-05-2015 07:36 AM
    you should check out the SmartTheater VR Headset. They're under $20 and Toys R Us right now.
    03-30-2016 06:16 PM
    Works great but phone can slip outside of the enclosure when you tip to reset the menu. Keep your fingers at thedges while viewing.
    09-09-2016 12:05 PM