New Phone Tips

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I am new to this section of the forums as I have an iPhone six plus. I used to be a solely Android Samsung user until August of last year when my charger port stopped working on my S4. Before this I had an S2 as my first ever smart phone.

When I had taken my phone in for repairs they told me they wanted $180 to fix my phone. I later found out that the charger port issue is a known fault with Samsung devices and was scared off getting another Samsung so I replaced it with a 5C and then in Feb of this year and iPhone six plus.

I had to cancel my phone contract with Vodafone here in Australia as maintenance work has been going on since FEB and they don't know when it will be finished- they said it could take months. So when I left Vodafone to go to Telstra I'm being made to pay put my six plus so obviously I'm not going to get another six plus. Therefore I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 because I know if I was to get the edge I would constantly be pushing the stuff on the side of the phone. I have HUGE hands for a female- size nine fingers. My hands are so big I can operate a six plus one handed.

So now I get the best of both worlds. Getting to keep my six plus while getting a Samsung as well. One android device and one ios lol.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do when I get the phone on Monday. What should I do when I get the phone out of the box? Is there any special charging techniques I should do for the first charge? Any tips and strategies you recommend for the first charging cycle?

I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Rachel

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Take all the plastic off, including the one on the camera and LED flash.

Follow the screen prompts and set up your phone.

Long press the homescreen and disable the Briefing tab.

Go to Settings/About Device and tap the build number seven times and change animations to 0.5x

In Applications, disable bloat and other applications.

in Notifications, only select those you want.

In Google app in Settings, disable the synchronization options you don't want.

Go through the rest of the Settings Menus and tweak your device.

Give TouchWiz at least a week before you get a third party launcher. Totally optional suggestion as you may prefer another launcher.

Turn screen brightness to 50% and use auto brightness only in direct sunlight.

Use location only when needed. Make sure GPS only option is selected.

Use Adaptive Display in the Display options.

Do some, all. Or none of the above as device setup depends upon preferences.

Welcome to the GS6. Hope you enjoy it. Hit us back with your feedback.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone.

I am new to this section of the forums as I have an iPhone six plus. I used to be a solely Android Samsung user until August of last year when my charger port stopped working on my S4. Before this I had an S2 as my first ever smart phone.

When I had taken my phone in for repairs they told me they wanted $180 to fix my phone. I later found out that the charger port issue is a known fault with Samsung devices and was scared off getting another Samsung so I replaced it with a 5C and then in Feb of this year and iPhone six plus.

I had to cancel my phone contract with Vodafone here in Australia as maintenance work has been going on since FEB and they don't know when it will be finished- they said it could take months. So when I left Vodafone to go to Telstra I'm being made to pay put my six plus so obviously I'm not going to get another six plus. Therefore I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S6.

I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 because I know if I was to get the edge I would constantly be pushing the stuff on the side of the phone. I have HUGE hands for a female- size nine fingers. My hands are so big I can operate a six plus one handed.

So now I get the best of both worlds. Getting to keep my six plus while getting a Samsung as well. One android device and one ios lol.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to do when I get the phone on Monday. What should I do when I get the phone out of the box? Is there any special charging techniques I should do for the first charge? Any tips and strategies you recommend for the first charging cycle?

Rachel
As soon as I finished setup, I plugged it in with the rapid charger that came in the box. Being an old RIM user, I frequently charge overnight even though I could probably wait. One of the great things about the GS6 is how quickly it charges and that you can drop it on any wireless charger, case or not, for the most part. Some wireless charging pads don't work with some cases.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Rachel

Activate, turn off WiFi scanning. Research launchers for a replacement. Have fun. There is really no need for any long rituals. Plug it in when it needs charging, no special charger or routine required.

Posted via the Android Central App

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site

Go to Settings/About Device and tap the build number seven times and change animations to 0.5x

Give TouchWiz at least a week before you get a third party launcher. Totally optional suggestion as you may prefer another launcher.

Wow. Thank you so much for all of these incredible suggestions. It sounds like Samsung has changed a LOT since my Samsung Galaxy S4. I don't even remember my phone having some of the options you suggested. I will be sure to follow all of these as I like to get the most out of any phone that I can. Especially battery life coming from the iPhone six plus. Thank you for taking your time to respond :)

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Thank you so much for all of these incredible suggestions. It sounds like Samsung has changed a LOT since my Samsung Galaxy S4. I don't even remember my phone having some of the options you suggested. I will be sure to follow all of these as I like to get the most out of any phone that I can. Especially battery life coming from the iPhone six plus. Thank you for taking your time to respond :)
No problem. Glad to help. Enjoy it.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
As soon as I finished setup, I plugged it in with the rapid charger that came in the box. Being an old RIM user, I frequently charge overnight even though I could probably wait. One of the great things about the GS6 is how quickly it charges and that you can drop it on any wireless charger, case or not, for the most part. Some wireless charging pads don't work with some cases.

I've never used wireless charging before. I am very excited to test fast charging. This is one of the options of the S6 I'm excited to try over the iPhone

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Activate, turn off WiFi scanning. Research launchers for a replacement. Have fun. There is really no need for any long rituals. Plug it in when it needs charging, no special charger or routine required.

Posted via the Android Central App

New launchers will be interesting as I've never tested new launchers on the Samsung phones. But I'm also one of those people that like touchwiz. I love the simplicity of it. I hated the lag that came with it but I have heard that it has been sped up significantly

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
New launchers will be interesting as I've never tested new launchers on the Samsung phones. But I'm also one of those people that like touchwiz. I love the simplicity of it. I hated the lag that came with it but I have heard that it has been sped up significantly
This device is the fastest and smoothest ever with no noticeable lag. If there are Samsung features you want but not preinstalled, you can install them. TouchWiz has been slimmed down and is more unified and cleaned up. I came from the GS4 and the difference was dramatic. TouchWiz still needs work and launchers are an option.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
This device is the fastest and smoothest ever with no noticeable lag. If there are Samsung features you want but not preinstalled, you can install them. TouchWiz has been slimmed down and is more unified and cleaned up. I came from the GS4 and the difference was dramatic. TouchWiz still needs work and launchers are an option.

The lag on the S2 and S4 was a nightmare. I have enjoyed the speed and clean running of the iPhone. But comments like this make me a bit less nervous lol

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When you set up your email, don't have it polling for new mail constantly. Change it to an interval that happens less often so you don't drive down your battery.

As far as cases are concerned, some recommend going commando. This is fine but the back and front are glass being more shatter resistant but not shatter proof. I prefer rugged cases like the Defender, slim and solid. Others prefer a less drastic approach. You get what you pay for int terms of protection. Get what works best for you and your needs. This applies to any accessory or device. The OEM wireless charging pad is a great option.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Excellent advice but aren't these two (in bold above) both tied together now in lollipop under adaptive display?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Tomorrow's the day. Starting to get excited about the new phone feeling lol. A bit worried about all of the bugs I see being talked about on these forums though

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I just got word my phone is only half an hour away. Though I will have to wait until later in the day to get it because I had to get it sent to my grandma's po box because telstra said my address didn't exist in their system. They tried placing my order on Wednesday and got told that. So apparently where I live doesn't exist lol

Then again looking back on it I think it's a much better idea to get something worth over a thousand bucks sent to a po box instead.

I was watching this video on tips and tricks for the S6 and I was like "holy s*** I forgot Samsung phones could do that" like wtf I've only been using ios phones since august and had used Samsung phones for almost four years prior and had forgotten that in contacts you swipe to the left to message and swipe to the right to call lol

I can't choose whether I like android or ios more. There are some things I love more about android and other things I love more about ios

Words cannot express how much I'm looking forward to having a non buggy SwiftKey keyboard. On iOS it keeps disappearing

I love androids freedom and camera while I love ios update system and customer care. While I love androids bigger app store and cheaper phone accessories I love apples speed and stability. I literally can't choose between ios and Android. I like different things about the different operating systems

Dennis Ou

May 14, 2014
Visit site
This is covered off in the video above. Turn off the Smart Network. Use wifi only when needed.

Hey man I got the T-mobile version, but I can't find the Smart Network is it not on T-mobile or I need to look else where?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey man I got the T-mobile version, but I can't find the Smart Network is it not on T-mobile or I need to look else where?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6

In efficient, select More them Smart Network Switch. This applies to AT&T so I am not sure about TMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair