NFC not working

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
It appears the latest update may have broken NFC. I can no longer transfer files from any of my S6 phones or to other NFC equipped devices. Anyone else experiencing this too?

I get the initial audible when the phones are touched together but that's all.

Thanks

Carrier is AT&T

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing your cache partition.

Turn off your device. Hold down the volume up, homescreen and power button.

In. Manual mode, use the volume rocker to toggle and select clear cache partition. Power to accept.

When done, toggle to reboot.

When the device comes back, see how it does.

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately that did not help. Oddly enough, I can transfer from my wife's phone and receive on the others. However our phones as the initiator does not function to any phone. The wifes will send and receive but the rest will only receive. I used a friends S3 to test.

Went through all the settings and I don't see anything that is different. All the phones received the latest update.

Thanks ...

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Unfortunately that did not help. Oddly enough, I can transfer from my wife's phone and receive on the others. However our phones as the initiator does not function to any phone. The wifes will send and receive but the rest will only receive. I used a friends S3 to test.

Went through all the settings and I don't see anything that is different. All the phones received the latest update.

Thanks ...

Did you contact tech support? Or try a factory reset?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine is working after the update. I use nfc tags for wifi at home, bluetooth in the car etc and it works fine after the update.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, NFC is turned on. As noted, of the 5 S6 phones I have, one can transmit and receive. The other four will only receive. This happened after the upgrade. Cache Partition cleared and phones rebooted multiple times.

Thanks.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, NFC is turned on. As noted, of the 5 S6 phones I have, one can transmit and receive. The other four will only receive. This happened after the upgrade. Cache Partition cleared and phones rebooted multiple times.

Thanks.

Try a factory reset. If this doesn't work, it may mean a call to tech support to start the exchange process.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
NFC works on my phone with the exception of initiating transfers to another phone. Same for my wife's GS6. This does not appear to be a hardware problem at all ... this has to do with the software side of thing. It's pretty rare that I use the "tap and send" NFC stuff from phone to phone ... so it's not a huge deal for me right now. I do hope they fix it soon though, since its an easy way to quickly transfer pictures to my wife's phone at full resolution.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
FYI: Chatting with an AT&T rep right now about the NFC thing. She's telling me it's a known issue with Android 5.x that screwed up the ability to initiate file transfers using NFC. She doesn't know how soon there will be a fix for it, but it IS identified and being worked on.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
FYI: Chatting with an AT&T rep right now about the NFC thing. She's telling me it's a known issue with Android 5.x that screwed up the ability to initiate file transfers using NFC. She doesn't know how soon there will be a fix for it, but it IS identified and being worked on.
Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to try using NFC on my GS6. Hopefully, it gets fixed with 5.1.1 or Android M.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. I have yet to try using NFC on my GS6. Hopefully, it gets fixed with 5.1.1 or Android M.

The only thing I use NFC for is to throw pics I've taken of my kids or whatever to my wife's phone ... so the only issue I know of is initiating file transfers ... if there are other NFC issues, I'm unaware.

either way, Google needs to address it soon ... NFC is a pretty key feature of the android phones ... sux to not have it fully functional.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I use NFC for is to throw pics I've taken of my kids or whatever to my wife's phone ... so the only issue I know of is initiating file transfers ... if there are other NFC issues, I'm unaware.

either way, Google needs to address it soon ... NFC is a pretty key feature of the android phones ... sux to not have it fully functional.
It doesn't look like it's included in the Android M 55 item change log.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It appears the latest update may have broken NFC. I can no longer transfer files from any of my S6 phones or to other NFC equipped devices. Anyone else experiencing this too?

I get the initial audible when the phones are touched together but that's all.

Thanks

Carrier is AT&T

Are the others phones Samsung also? I'm asking because Samsung got rid of the S Beam that was in all previous Galaxy devices, when it detects S Beam (Samsung) it tried that first, some times it took some on and of combination between S Beam and Android Beam.

So, I'd suggest you to check if you have Android Beam on turn it off and try again and viceversa. But I'm sure that if Android Beam is off it won't initiate the transfer but it can receive files, and you can have NFC on but Android Beam off, check that first.

Last edited:

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Are the others phones Samsung also? I'm asking because Samsung got rid of the S Beam that was in all previous Galaxy devices, when it detects S Beam (Samsung) it tried that first, some times it took some on and of combination between S Beam and Android Beam.

So, I'd suggest you to check if you have Android Beam on turn it off and try again and viceversa. But I'm sure that if Android Beam is off it won't initiate the transfer but it can receive files, and you can have NFC on but Android Beam off, check that first.

Thank you... that was it. buried under the NFC settings is the android bea. function that must also be enabled. Its all working fine now.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've noticed that it now uses android beam, which usually transfers by Bluetooth for me. I started using quick connect. It's much faster and I don't have to tap the phones together. You should give it a try.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you... that was it. buried under the NFC settings is the android bea. function that must also be enabled. Its all working fine now.

I'm glad it worked as it was the first and only thing I could think of, but like I mentioned in another thread a couple of days ago, what amazes me the most is that it was the first thing that occurred to me, so what's happening with this companies' support, AT&T, Best Buy, Samsung?, neither of them seem to have a clue what to tell their clients when they call with simple stuff like this, and even saying that is a known bug, OMG, then it's a miracle people still buy Android phones with the bad reputation is getting from their own suppliers.