Why do all the cases have giant cutouts.

Galchi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I don't like cases, as they make the phone bulkier, but the galaxy s6's excessive camera bump has caused me to get a case. However, literally every single case I've ever seen have giant camera cutouts. Why is that? I want a case with precision cutouts for the camera, while still protecting it. I've looked through hundreds of cases on amazon and ebay, and I've found like 2 that have precision camera cutouts. Bome's case was nice, but the material gets dirty really easily, so I'd like to move to TPU, and Spigen's Hybrid bumper thing is way too thick.

The reason I don't want a giant camera cut out, is because of the glass back. Dust gets on it, and I can see it. That annoys me.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I use a sleeve and the samsung clear cover both. The cover I had custom made to use with the clear cover.

b45bed973920b579cec505233cb9cd4b.jpg

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
The reason for the large cut outs near the camera are to prevent the camera flash from being reflected back on the lens creating a glaring effect.
The reason for the headphone jack is to allow for larger 3.5mm connectors to fit in.
The reason for large cut outs in Mic's is to allow them to capture the sound properly.

The large cutouts are often there so they do not impact function.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The reason for the large cut outs near the camera are to prevent the camera flash from being reflected back on the lens creating a glaring effect.
The reason for the headphone jack is to allow for larger 3.5mm connectors to fit in.
The reason for large cut outs in Mic's is to allow them to capture the sound properly.

The large cutouts are often there so they do not impact function.

A good case will balance these considerations with protection while minimizing additional size. There are very few case that do well and minimize bulk. Bulk is different for everyone. Protection vs aesthetics. Aesthetics does nothing when the case pops off the phone and your device is laying on a harsh surface with a front or back cracked or shattered. The case should also provide shock protection as damage to device internals has to be balanced. Can your case protect against the eight foot drop and still snap a great photo or video while still looking unscathed? Get what works best for you while keeping some of these things in mind when selecting that case that also works for your budget. Disclaimer: Just a post from an enthusiastic smartphone user not an expert by any stretch.

mikakat84

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Wow ever think about taking the case off and cleaning the dust out? Wow. That's so hard.to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow ever think about taking the case off and cleaning the dust out? Wow. That's so hard.to do.

Not a problem as many cases have port covers for the USB and headphone jack to parent dust intrusion. The cases themselves, I can't speak for all cases, are easy to maintain when cleaning the devices. No case is going to be completely dust proof.

cdaddy415

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Two words, Otterbox Symmetry...

It's thin, one piece, dual density silicon and plastic, snug fitting feels like it's part of the phone...not bulky at all

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
If you get a case with a too small camera cutout you run into problems with the case interfering with the sensors, flash reflection, etc resulting in poorer photo quality

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you get a case with a too small camera cutout you run into problems with the case interfering with the sensors, flash reflection, etc resulting in poorer photo quality

On the other hand, too deep and low light shots or shadows might happen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use a Spigen one. The cut out doesn't look bad (in my opinion). They make the cutout slightly bigger to include the fingerprint scanner and flash.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I use the defender otterbox. I had one on my old Razr phone and hated it. It made it very bulky when part of the selling point was thinness. The rubber it also used was very sticky when trying to slide into your pocket or take it out. When I got my s4 I got the commuter case to cut back on some of the bulk. Screen got cracked and the hard outside shell cracked and took a beating. The defender otterbox case for the s6 tho is a vast improvement from years ago. I really enjoy this case and know phone is protected.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I use the defender otterbox. I had one on my old Razr phone and hated it. It made it very bulky when part of the selling point was thinness. The rubber it also used was very sticky when trying to slide into your pocket or take it out. When I got my s4 I got the commuter case to cut back on some of the bulk. Screen got cracked and the hard outside shell cracked and took a beating. The defender otterbox case for the s6 tho is a vast improvement from years ago. I really enjoy this case and know phone is protected.

Hello!!! Have I not been saying this for months now? Anyone who has actually had a defender on their GS6 will realize that it is the slimmest case variant yet from. Otterbox.

cdaddy415

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who has actually had a defender on their GS6 will realize that it is the slimmest case variant yet from. Otterbox.

You're being sarcastic right?
I'd like to know because I'm trying to learn "sarcasm" and apply it to my everyday life, in order to become more socially acceptable and perhaps obtain friends!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC