Battery saver? Cache/history cleaner?

KnappyRootz

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So loving the GS6 so far. Quick question however.

Does anyone see a need for a dedicated battery saver app anymore? Or does it do more harm than good?

Also, what does everyone use for a cache/history cleaner? How often do you run?

How about how often to boot to loader options and do a system cache wipe?

Thanks all!

Posted via the Android Central App

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion would be to see how your phone runs without a battery saver and then try a battery saver for a week then compare. I clean my cache about twice a week and that's probably more than necessary

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
DO NOT use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Most such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power, disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads they throw up.

Cache files are there to speed up operation. Normally, leaving them alone to do their job results in the best performance. Only delete cache files if you have a specific problem that could be cache related.

Android is excellent at handling running processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance.

Just let Android do it's job as intended, relax and enjoy your phone.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
DO NOT use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, antivirus, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Most such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power, disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads they throw up.

Cache files are there to speed up operation. Normally, leaving them alone to do their job results in the best performance. Only delete cache files if you have a specific problem that could be cache related.

Android is excellent at handling running processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance.

Yes. Many people here keep s saying clear the cache and the cache partition but in reality its only needed in extreme cases.

Posted via the Android Central App

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site

Wait, So you're saying Not to install ANY Antivirus? I use CM Security because well it hasn't crashed on me yet. What about the app, "Lookout" ? Would that be a good alternative for Antivirus, and security?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Wait, So you're saying Not to install ANY Antivirus?
That's exactly what I'm saying. As my signature says, I've used Android since the very beginning, v1.0. I've never used or needed antivirus, never had any malware of any kind and I've always used my devices heavily, several hours a day. IMHO it's a waste of time.

I use CM Security because well it hasn't crashed on me yet.
You should uninstall CM Security and anything else by Cheetah Mobile immediately! . To understand why, read this post and the links in it. A lot of information in those links, links in those links, etc.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4723915

Anything by Cheetah Mobile, DU Apps, Baidu, GO Development, just to name a few, is unhealthy for your device and your privacy.

What about the app, "Lookout" ? Would that be a good alternative for Antivirus, and security?
I guess Lookout has some value for it's locator feature (at least, I think it has a phone locator) but I use the built-in Android Device Manager for that. I would never bother with Lookout myself.

As for a good alternative for antivirus and security, read this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7084937

Last edited:

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm saying. As my signature says, I've used Android since the very beginning, v1.0. I've never used or needed antivirus, never had any malware of any kind and I've always used my devices heavily, several hours a day. IMHO it's a waste of time.

You should uninstall CM Security and anything else by Cheetah Mobile immediately! . To understand why, read this post and the links in it. A lot of information in those links, links in those links, etc.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4723915

Anything by Cheetah Mobile, DU Apps, Baidu, GO Development, just to name a few, is unhealthy for your device and your privacy.

I guess Lookout has some value for it's locator feature (at least, I think it has a phone locator) but I use the built-in Android Device Manager for that. I would never bother with Lookout myself.

As for a good alternative for antivirus and security, read this:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7084937

I did read the threads that you listed last night and deleted CM. I installed Lookout, but I'll read that link about alternative Antivirus right now.

Update, ok use common sense. But, Lookout will take a picture of a thief if he/she steals my phone (and send me an email of Who that thief looks like), turns off the phone, turns off location, turns off device administration. CAN built-in Android Device Manager do that? No. All it can do is Find My Mobile via help from Samsung.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I did read the threads that you listed last night and deleted CM. I installed Lookout, but I'll read that link about alternative Antivirus right now.

Update, ok use common sense. But, Lookout will take a picture of a thief if he/she steals my phone (and send me an email of Who that thief looks like), turns off the phone, turns off location, turns off device administration. CAN built-in Android Device Manager do that? No. All it can do is Find My Mobile via help from Samsung.
Android Device Manager is more basic, yes.. But it does more than just locate the phone and all I need. Locates phone, rings it, locks it, wipes it. It doesn't need any help from Samsung, I don't know what you meant there. I've never even owned a Samsung (and never will).

I wouldn't want to turn the phone off, then I couldn't find it. What's the point of that? And I don't care what the thief looks like, it's highly unlikely I'd recongnize them anyway. But if you like Lookout, that's fine, whatever works for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol