New Galaxy S6 getting rocked by Cell Standby and others. Have tried everything.

lownskater52

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

So I just made the switch from iPhone to Galaxy with a new Galaxy S6 yesterday and while the phone is pretty awesome in what it can do, I'm having major issues with usage and battery.

I'm just getting awful battery life and all of my processes seem to be using way more battery than they should. My Cell Standby is creeping up to the mid 40s!

I've tried all of the fixes. Enhanced LTE off, clearing get the cache partition and rebooting with enhanced LTE on, disabling the bloatware. Nothing brings the battery usage down for Cell Standby.

Not sure what to do. I don't want to return it because this phone is bad as so far but I need a decent battery and no wifi is just not an option.

Any idea guys? I'll posy screen shots in the post below.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you on T-Mobile? From what I hear, T-Mobile customers are having this issue with the WiFi calling feature. Try turning it off

Posted via the Android Central App

lownskater52

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Naaaa I'm on AT&T. I've tried turning off enhanced LTE which is Volte for AT and T. It didn't bring down the cell standby.

This is so frustrating!!!!

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
maybe a defective unit. I've seen on from on here that users were getting a crazy high wifi power usage (greater than screen use) had defective wifi chips. Exchanged and problems solved.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Under wifi I would turn off always scanning.
Under location services turn off history if you don't use Google now.

If this doesn't help, then do an exchange. It must be defective.

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the At&t model and have no problems thus far with cell standby. Try switching your phone out

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it might have fixed itself. Does this look normal to you guys?

That still looks fairly short battery life wise. I generally pull about 21 to 23 hours of estimated use and before the last update that was at about 30 or 31 hours. However that estimated battery life is going to take a week or so to get fairly accurate. I believe it runs off of historical use and how long the battery was lasting on the previous charges so it'll take a few 'normal' cycles for it to estimate with better accuracy.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Looks like it might have fixed itself. Does this look normal to you guys?

no, I wouldn't settle for less than 16 hours. 10 isn't good at all and a lot of users here have posted 20+

I can't remember a phone that was so inconsistent from user to user, but a lot of people have said it gets better with time, so I'd give it a few more days

it's ridiculous imo that so many things should have to be tweaked/disabled for people to get it to function properly

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine does suck if I'm home all day on Wi-Fi, but at work or out and about with no Wi-Fi I get great battery life.

I always thought cell phones on a Wi-Fi network got better battery life since it's not using the mobile network so I'm a little confused about the S6 battery being so bad on Wi-Fi. Seems like it would work less on Wi-Fi than mobile.

Last edited:

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
don't return it. i returned mine and the one i received in exchange is the same. it's not a hardware bug, it's either software, or just galaxy.

player22

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
90 % of the stuff a person wants to know about the galaxy s6 are already posted in this forum more than once. What others are saying is if you just spend a little time and go through the posts you will find what you are looking for . And if you don't then start another thread. But I do have to agree people are just starting threads without even taking the time to research what's already here.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Made perfect sense to me. I am one of the ones who just got the phone and am experiencing the cell standby issue but the other threads were created when the phone first came out a month and a half ago. And there's been a software update or two since then. So maybe the OP was just trying to see if anyone has fixed it since then with software updates or setting changes. If you don't want to read thread duplicates then scroll past it and why keep coming back here to argue with someone who needs help.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Made perfect sense to me. I am one of the ones who just got the phone and am experiencing the cell standby issue but the other threads were created when the phone first came out a month and a half ago. And there's been a software update or two since then. So maybe the OP was just trying to see if anyone has fixed it since then with software updates or setting changes. If you don't want to read thread duplicates then scroll past it and why keep coming back here to argue with someone who needs help.

It's not that, those other threads are full of updated info. All you have to do is read them. A new thread is just plain lazy

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Keep the discussion on topic. People can just ignore this thread and any others they do not like. The OP was obviously frustrated enough to post about his problems so just let it be.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci