Hey everyone,

I woke up to find a 215mb software update waiting for my Rogers S6.

The usual info about improvements, bug fixes, etc. I didn't think to take a screenshot...
    chezm likes this.
    05-19-2015 06:39 AM
    Hit us back with feedback.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    05-19-2015 06:53 AM
    Yes I just noticed my software update is downloading as well. 215.39MB, Rogers, S6. I'll see what I can find when it's complete.
    05-19-2015 07:03 AM
    Thanks for heads up, will check and download now

Posted via the Android Central App
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-19-2015 07:19 AM
    The differences I've seen so far:

1. When you set the alarm it tells you how many hours before it goes off.

2. In the text messaging app, the bubbles are now blue and yellow.

3. Battery life seems to be better

Posted with my Galaxy S6
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-19-2015 09:39 AM
    The differences I've seen so far:

1. When you set the alarm it tells you how many hours before it goes off.

2. In the text messaging app, the bubbles are now blue and yellow.

3. Battery life seems to be better

Posted with my Galaxy S6
    Did you find it running faster and smoother?
    05-19-2015 07:31 PM
    Did you find it running faster and smoother?
    Yes especially when scrolling, like on Facebook, Twitter and other apps, it's smoother. In terms of performance it's the same.

Posted with my Galaxy S6
    05-19-2015 11:49 PM
    Yes especially when scrolling, like on Facebook, Twitter and other apps, it's smoother. In terms of performance it's the same.

Posted with my Galaxy S6
    Great. Hoping for more improvements in the 5.1.1 update coming soon.
    05-20-2015 05:53 AM
    The one thing I love more about ios than android is that updates come out at the same time everywhere. I live in Australia and there have been times I have waited months to get an update after it has come out in America... Why can't samsung have a similar updating system to Apple where ALL devices get the update at the exact same time
    05-20-2015 08:23 AM
    The one thing I love more about ios than android is that updates come out at the same time everywhere. I live in Australia and there have been times I have waited months to get an update after it has come out in America... Why can't samsung have a similar updating system to Apple where ALL devices get the update at the exact same time
    Apple controls hardware and software. Apple makes update and it works on all of their devices on day 1, because they make it that way. No other manufacturers, no carrier control (which I wish Android could also bypass).

Google makes Android, passes updates to hardware manufacturers (Samsung, in this case) to update their software on top of it (Touchwiz), then it goes to your wireless carrier (Rogers in this case) and they make sure that their junk apps work properly, then they release it.

It's definitely my most (it's a short list) coveted feature from iOS.
    05-20-2015 09:02 AM
    Apple controls hardware and software. Apple makes update and it works on all of their devices on day 1, because they make it that way. No other manufacturers, no carrier control (which I wish Android could also bypass).

Google makes Android, passes updates to hardware manufacturers (Samsung, in this case) to update their software on top of it (Touchwiz), then it goes to your wireless carrier (Rogers in this case) and they make sure that their junk apps work properly, then they release it.

It's definitely my most (it's a short list) coveted feature from iOS.
    Why does android have carrier control but ios doesn't? Im never going to give up my iPhone six plus. There are many things I love about android and many things I love about my iPhone six plus.

Camera, expansive app store, customisation- android

Updates system, speed and stability, battery life, customer care- ios

I got my first ever ios phone last year. I had to get out of my phone contract in Australia due to ongoing maintenance work and they are making me pay off my phone so I got a S6 on my new contract- would have been NO point for me to get a second six plus.

I STILL can't choose between android and ios. I currently am using my iPhone six plus without a sim over WiFi and my s6 has the sim card in it. I constantly keep switching phones cause I can't make up my mind which one I want to use.

Though it has caused some funny instances where I have gone to push the back button on my iPhone six plus where the bottom is on the S6 and I've been like "huh. Why isn't it working" lol
    BioFanatic likes this.
    05-20-2015 09:12 AM
    You can look at it from another perspective. Android has tremendous upside with customization and performance while lacking from an optimization standpoint. Apple, other other hand, has tremendous optimization and a mature ecosystem that tends to over simplify things for theirs users as Apple feels it knows better what you like and need than you do with a take or leave it, there's always someone who will buy their devices if you don't.
    05-20-2015 08:41 PM
    I just got my first Android phone (Galaxy S6) and loving it. I've had iphones for 6 years (blackberry before that) and really love ios, but always jailbreak to get features Android has out of the box (along with a few other cool features I haven't found on Android as of yet). I'm really up in the air as to which I like more, it's really pizza vs burgers for me, both delicious for different reasons.

On another note, I just did the update that came OTA (I'm in Canada) and want to root my phone, but I'm guessing I'm SOL at this time? I really should have thought it through more before clicking the update button.....
    chezm likes this.
    05-21-2015 09:59 AM
    I just got my first Android phone (Galaxy S6) and loving it. I've had iphones for 6 years (blackberry before that) and really love ios, but always jailbreak to get features Android has out of the box (along with a few other cool features I haven't found on Android as of yet). I'm really up in the air as to which I like more, it's really pizza vs burgers for me, both delicious for different reasons.

On another note, I just did the update that came OTA (I'm in Canada) and want to root my phone, but I'm guessing I'm SOL at this time? I really should have thought it through more before clicking the update button.....
    First, congrats and and enjoy the awesome device =)

I am very sure it can be rooted still, unlike iOS when updates come in the protect from Jailbreaking, I am certain all Androids can be always be rooted. Ill let someone confirm 100% but im certain you can still go ahead with it, the only downside is OTA updates wont be avaliable...from what i understand.
    05-21-2015 10:08 AM

I could see myself in the future as being someone with an iPhone but an android tablet. This time period with both an iPhone six plus and the s6 will allow me to really see which I prefer
    05-21-2015 11:01 AM