Fingerprint Unlocking to Chrome

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So, I've noticed lately after the AT&T update, when I use my fingerprint scanner to unlock, it opens my phome to a Chrome web page....anyone else experiencing this?, if so, any ideas on how to stop it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I did the update yesterday, and my fingerprint scanner still just simply unlocks the phone, just like it always did.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm only mentioning this because somehow, something like this MIGHT be happening.

I briefly had a Motorola Nexus 6 ... FANTASTIC phone, but too dang big ... and I wanted a fingerprint sensor, and LOVE the LED indicator light on the Samsung phones.

Anyway, while I had the Nexus 6 - which runs bone-stock Android - I learned that if you swipe "right" across the screen to unlock it, it opens to the home screen ... if you swipe "up", it opens to the phone ... and if you swipe "left", it opens to the camera (ok, I admit I don't remember for certain if those are the proper directions for each of the actions, but you get the point).

So, what I'm getting at is, I wonder if there is some overriding gesture thing going on with the OP's phone that is causing a certain swipe action to open the phone up to Chrome instead of just going to the home screen.

Just trying to throw out ideas for brainstorming ...

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you just forgot to close out chrome and then the phone locked and when you went to unlock the phone, chrome was there??

Thanks for that tip. To see if this was the issue, I did some testing. Each time before locking my phone, I went to multitasker and conducted a close all...out of 5 tries, two of them unlocked direct to Chrome.

Thank you so much for the idea though, I appreciate it.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm only mentioning this because somehow, something like this MIGHT be happening.

I briefly had a Motorola Nexus 6 ... FANTASTIC phone, but too dang big ... and I wanted a fingerprint sensor, and LOVE the LED indicator light on the Samsung phones.

Anyway, while I had the Nexus 6 - which runs bone-stock Android - I learned that if you swipe "right" across the screen to unlock it, it opens to the home screen ... if you swipe "up", it opens to the phone ... and if you swipe "left", it opens to the camera (ok, I admit I don't remember for certain if those are the proper directions for each of the actions, but you get the point).

So, what I'm getting at is, I wonder if there is some overriding gesture thing going on with the OP's phone that is causing a certain swipe action to open the phone up to Chrome instead of just going to the home screen.

Just trying to throw out ideas for brainstorming ...

Great idea. I will check it out. I use Nova Launcher, check all the Gestures there, found nothing so far, but I will keep digging.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, I've checked everything I could. Now its not limited to just chrome. It will.open to alarm clock, MLB app...and a few others.

Its very intermittent, and frustrating.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Nova. I have no gestures set

I am beginning to think its my tempered glass protector. I turned off fnher print and am using swipe unlock, and it is still happening.

Pona

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
It happens to me too!! It's strangely satisfying to see that I'm not the only one with this issue, which is rare to find and hard to describe (so, very difficult to google).

It's been happenning ever since I bought it, a few months ago, and after dealing with it for some time I've had time to analyze the problem. It's not that it launches apps, but it seems to be performing taps on the screen while the phone is locked. I say this because in case I lock the phone inside an app, say, Twitter, just to give an example, instead of while being in the home screen, I find that I've misteriously retweeted something after unlocking via fingerprint. And if I was on the home screen before locking, I find that I've launched an app before unlocking, even though that would seem impossible.

So the behaviour would be as if the phone was buffering screen taps while locked, and performing them right after locking. I tried several times to touch on purpose somewhere in the screen and see if the app that was in that point gets launched, but to no avail.

I'm starting to suspect it's because of the launcher, 'cause I'm using Nova Launcher too. Will try to change it later to see if it helps.

The phone is the S6 non edge, and the OS is Android 5.0.2, Samsung carrier-free ROM, not rooted.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
It happens to me too!! It's strangely satisfying to see that I'm not the only one with this issue, which is rare to find and hard to describe (so, very difficult to google).

It's been happenning ever since I bought it, a few months ago, and after dealing with it for some time I've had time to analyze the problem. It's not that it launches apps, but it seems to be performing taps on the screen while the phone is locked. I say this because in case I lock the phone inside an app, say, Twitter, just to give an example, instead of while being in the home screen, I find that I've misteriously retweeted something after unlocking via fingerprint. And if I was on the home screen before locking, I find that I've launched an app before unlocking, even though that would seem impossible.

So the behaviour would be as if the phone was buffering screen taps while locked, and performing them right after locking. I tried several times to touch on purpose somewhere in the screen and see if the app that was in that point gets launched, but to no avail.

I'm starting to suspect it's because of the launcher, 'cause I'm using Nova Launcher too. Will try to change it later to see if it helps.

The phone is the S6 non edge, and the OS is Android 5.0.2, Samsung carrier-free ROM, not rooted.

This 100% an incompatibility issue between nova and the s6. I have gone back to my HTC M8 and nova is running flawlessly....

Pona

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Yep, tried using TouchWiz again for a while, and didn't encounter this error. It's a shame because Nova is the best launcher I've tried, but this bug sets it back a few steps.

I'll report this to Nova, hopefully they'll solve it in due time.

AndySG

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
When I use a 3rd party launcher on my S6, it sometimes opens an app or page (browser, app drawer, folder, or some app) when I unlock it using the fingerprint sensor. It occurs intermittently.

We are not alone, I've read many others having the same problem, even those using pattern unlock but with a 3rd party launcher.

I've gone back to using Touchwiz and have had no problems so far.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Just updated to Niva Launcher 4.1.0, been messing with my phone for about the last 45 minutes or so and it looks (so far) as though this issue is gone. I'll continue to play around and update if the issue rears its ugly head again.

jfs101

Trusted Member
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I started to get this problem after a recent OS update. I'm using Nova, but rather have the problem than going back to TouchWiz!