Why does my Samsung Galaxy S6 have high battery use in standby?

A

AC Question

Samsung Galaxy 6s high battery use in standby

Last night I put my galaxy 6s into battery save mode, charged it to 99% and put it on the nightstand. This morning (8 hours later) my phone is at 48% charge. Do I have a bad battery or is there a setting or application on that is draining the battery? Battery shows 46% battery usage by cell phone.

Mario Jamers

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Exactly the same problem here.
First bougt an S6, battery drained 70% overnight, returned it, bought an S6 edge, drains around 45% overnight...

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
It's really frustrating...have had a lot of ups and downs with Cell Standby for almost 2 months now. More downs than ups, for sure. Biggest offender is when the S6 is on WiFi which is counter-intuitive since WiFi should sip battery. I can hit 40%+ Cell Standby by the end of the day with mediocre battery life (2.5-3.5 hours SoT/12-14 hours Standby). Overnight drain is generally 16-20% (roughly 2-2.5% per hour) if not on the charger.

Not willing to shut down most services (though I've done quite a bit) to make through the day with cushion but I need Bluetooth, Gmail synching, Facebook, etc. to make the phone functional for me.

I've been waiting patiently for T-Mobile to push an update but am losing hope and am now seeing early reports that S6 sales are actually below S5 sales which crushed Samsung pretty badly last year. They need to get the battery life under control for the average user who won't come to this Forum to complain or look up possible solutions but will instead tell their friends battery life sucks which kills sales.

To end on a positive note, at least the S6 charges up really fast!

Last edited:

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
If you must keep your wifi on then go to Settings > Wifi > Advanced > Keep wifi on during sleep > and select Only when plugged in.
That way when your phone is off the charger and isn't being used for awhile then your wifi will turn off, but when you start using your phone again your wifi will automatically turn on. Doing this will cause your battery from draining to fast.

fleeper

May 31, 2010
Visit site
If you must keep your wifi on then go to Settings > Wifi > Advanced > Keep wifi on during sleep > and select Only when plugged in.
That way when your phone is off the charger and isn't being used for awhile then your wifi will turn off, but when you start using your phone again your wifi fwill automatically turn on. Doing this will cause your battery from draining to fast.

Going to try this to see if it helps. Crossing fingers. Hopefully Samsung will release an update to fix this.

Posted via the Android Central App

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy 6s high battery use in standby

My battery goes down by 20% every hour. Battery drain on this phone is a nightmare and they better do something to fix it. I'm also wondering if it could be partly to do with the ram drain issue cause the phone is having to use more power because of this