S6 Annoyances

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@warpdrive ... yes, the global settings for that stuff are still there ... but try it yourself ... go change the pattern around and then get someone to send you a text, or send yourself an email. No matter what you do, the vibration notification for the stock texting app, and stock email apps are going to go "buzz buzz" ... and NOT follow the pattern you set in the global settings.

EDIT: Just to be clear ... what I'm talking about applies only to the STOCK email, gmail, and messaging app ... If you use a third party app for any of those things, you should be able to have it feed off the default setting, or set it specifically within the app (if it allows).

But what you'll find in the stock apps I am talking about, is that you have the option to only turn vibrations on or off ... it does not let you set a pattern, and it has a pre-set pattern built in - which is the quick, two-buzz vibration. What I was saying is, you cannot change that, as confirmed by both AT&T and Samsung reps I talked to. All you can do is turn it on or off.

Last edited:

jerryrip

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it. Wiggum333, your usage says that you have approximately 18 hours of battery time left after already using almost 2 hours! That's close to a full 20 hours of battery life and you don't even have your power saving mode on! Why are all of these other people complaining about battery life? That seems plenty to me. I don't need 5-6 hours of screen time anyway.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
@warpdrive ... yes, the global settings for that stuff are still there ... but try it yourself ... go change the pattern around and then get someone to send you a text, or send yourself an email. No matter what you do, the vibration notification for the stock texting app, and stock email apps are going to go "buzz buzz" ... and NOT follow the pattern you set in the global settings.

EDIT: Just to be clear ... what I'm talking about applies only to the STOCK email, gmail, and messaging app ... If you use a third party app for any of those things, you should be able to have it feed off the default setting, or set it specifically within the app (if it allows).

But what you'll find in the stock apps I am talking about, is that you have the option to only turn vibrations on or off ... it does not let you set a pattern, and it has a pre-set pattern built in - which is the quick, two-buzz vibration. What I was saying is, you cannot change that, as confirmed by both AT&T and Samsung reps I talked to. All you can do is turn it on or off.

Ah, yes you are correct. I misunderstood.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Ah, yes you are correct. I misunderstood.
Thanks for clearing that up.

no big deal ... for a moment, I had to re-read my post(s) to be sure I said it correctly.

As far as the notifications go ... I'm seriously baffled as to why that stuff has been locked down. It's annoying as can be for me since I keep my phone on vibrate mode when at my desk at work most of the day ... and all I get are these double-buzz vibrations, and have NO idea if it's a work email, personal email, or text - because they ALL are the same vibration.

the other half of this, which I think I already mentioned above, is that you USED to be able to set a specific contact group with it's own unique vibration and notification sound ... but you can't do that anymore. You can only give individual contacts a different ringtone ... but not groups. And you can't even give individuals a unique "message notification" sound anymore. They all feed of a global setting.

Honestly ... those little things to me seem like they should be first and foremost in terms of android customization settings ... because those are the things that allow you to interact with your phone w/out having to physically pick up the phone to check things out. How/why they were removed??? Whoever made that decision needs to be slapped upside the head, with a baseball bat.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think it's a bug that will be worked out in time.

Posted via the Android Central App

In talking to the live-chat samsung reps a few times over the last week or so, I get the feeling "we" are going to have to kinda flood them with feedback on their current OS software and make sure they know that these features that have been removed need to be put back in. Right now, I can't say that they are aware the removal of these things is bothering anyone.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Another annoyance - I don't like how you can't change the volume when on the lock screen. I'd like to be able to wake up the screen, then quickly turn it on to mute or vibrate for when I'm in meetings, but you can't do that on the lock screen. You have to wake the phone up, unlock it, then change the volume.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Another annoyance - I don't like how you can't change the volume when on the lock screen. I'd like to be able to wake up the screen, then quickly turn it on to mute or vibrate for when I'm in meetings, but you can't do that on the lock screen. You have to wake the phone up, unlock it, then change the volume.

Can't you use the notification toggle for that? You do have to unlock to put on Wifi though.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Can't you use the notification toggle for that? You do have to unlock to put on Wifi though.

Yeah I can, but even then I have the sound and DND further down the bar so I'd have to swipe and find it.

I get what you're saying, but it'd just be easier if I could wake the screen up, hold the volume down key and know it's going to be silent. Don't even have to look at it then.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
It's a fast phone, and battery life is fine since I set it up like my M8... Just got it though. Will have to check out the wireless charging tonight. It charges hella fast though, so I can live with it since my truck has a built-in inverter.

Posted via Android Central App

jerryrip

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Honestly a lot of these complaints are really picky. ICBYH, I have an S3 and you can't change the volume from the lock screen with that phone either. Did you move over from an IPhone, because Samsung has been doing a number of these things with their phones since the first model. Wiggum333, maybe you should've downloaded a copy of the users manual before you decide to plunk down 200 bucks for a phone that didn't do EVERYTHING you wanted it to do. They're right there on Samsung's website. In fact, I just talked face to face with a Samsung rep at the local Sprint store, and she actually answered a lot of the concerns I'm reading on this forum. She said that Samsung addressed a lot of users issues and built them into the S6. It's like the old adage: you can't please everybody all the time. I am buying an S6 now.

Solitude1984

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Honestly a lot of these complaints are really picky. ICBYH, I have an S3 and you can't change the volume from the lock screen with that phone either. Did you move over from an IPhone, because Samsung has been doing a number of these things with their phones since the first model. Wiggum333, maybe you should've downloaded a copy of the users manual before you decide to plunk down 200 bucks for a phone that didn't do EVERYTHING you wanted it to do. They're right there on Samsung's website. In fact, I just talked face to face with a Samsung rep at the local Sprint store, and she actually answered a lot of the concerns I'm reading on this forum. She said that Samsung addressed a lot of users issues and built them into the S6. It's like the old adage: you can't please everybody all the time. I am buying an S6 now.
This is a thread about things that specifically annoy people. That doesn't mean that the people posting in this thread don't enjoy their phones. No phone is perfect. Bugs can always be ironed out, and features can always be added to make the user experience better. Relax.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Wiggum333, maybe you should've downloaded a copy of the users manual before you decide to plunk down 200 bucks for a phone that didn't do EVERYTHING you wanted it to do. They're right there on Samsung's website.

So ... the user manual tells you that the vibration notification for stock email, gmail and the stock messaging app is locked down, does not follow the lead of the global default notification vibration pattern, and can only be turned on or off for those apps?

Does the user manual say that you can only set unique ringtones for individuals now, as opposed to the past where you could also set a unique notification sound and/or vibration style per individual contact or per contact group?

You may find those type things nit-picky but a lot of us don't, especially when we had those very useful features on older Samsung phones. Streamlining software by stripping out useful, efficient settings and features seems like a silly move does it not?

Sorry if it bothers you that the removal of those features annoys me, but thats what this particular thread is all about ... on top of that I think my griping about them being gone is more than legitimate - mainly because they WERE there on the older flagship phones.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
In talking to the live-chat samsung reps a few times over the last week or so, I get the feeling "we" are going to have to kinda flood them with feedback on their current OS software and make sure they know that these features that have been removed need to be put back in. Right now, I can't say that they are aware the removal of these things is bothering anyone.

I agree, but since there are menus for such features, I don't look at them as removed but buggy.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree, but since there are menus for such features, I don't look at them as removed but buggy.

there is a menu for the default vibration notification pattern ... but there is no menu or option to set either a unique message notification sound or vibration per contact or contact group. That may be something they removed on purpose, or something they "forgot" ... I dont know. Seems to me its a combo of possible bugs and features/settings that were removed on purpose, but that should have been left in there.

Only time will tell.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
As far as these being picky, I didn't read these as complaints, but rather annoyances. Little things that may annoy one person but makes little difference to another. That's why we don't chastise people when they post things that concern them.

jerryrip

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Very sorry if I offended you, Wiggum333, but it just occurs to me that before you (or a lot of others on this thread) purchase a pricey piece of equipment that maybe you should not only research it on the internet (and incidently the users manual gives you an idea of what the phone cannot do, not what it can do), but actually go into a store with demonstrator models on hand and go through the process of setting up various ringtones and vibration patterns on the phone before you actually buy one and get a rude awakening. Or just talk to a sales rep. Just seems like common sense to me. The same for a lot of these other "annoyances." I guess I misread the intent with this thread, but people like me who are looking to buy an S6 will be turned away from buying one because of all the negative things I've been reading here, a lot of which are extremely picky (complaining about the camera bulge when all one had to do was to just pick one up in the store and look at it before one bought it, then get a case to protect it lol). I actually had to talk to a Samsung rep in order to clear up a lot of these complaints, and I've decided to buy one anyway. I understand if it was something that Samsung misrepresented, but it's not. Samsung took into account a lot of users complaints about the S3, S4, and S5 before they designed this phone. I guess everyone has their own favorite features, but no manufacturer can put all of them into one phone without inflating the cost beyond affordability. Even with all of its "problems" though, the S6 is still better than the IPhone 6.

Last edited:

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Very sorry if I offended you, Wiggum333, but it just occurs to me that before you (or a lot of others on this thread) purchase a pricey piece of equipment that maybe you should not only research it on the internet (and incidently the users manual gives you an idea of what the phone cannot do, not what it can do), but actually go into a store with demonstrator models on hand and go through the process of setting up various ringtones and vibration patterns on the phone before you actually buy one and get a rude awakening. Or just talk to a sales rep. Just seems like common sense to me. The same for a lot of these other "annoyances." I understand if it was something that Samsung misrepresented, but it's not. Samsung took into account a lot of users complaints about the S3, S4, and S5 before they designed this phone. I guess everyone has their own favorite features, but no manufacturer can put all of them into one phone without inflating the cost beyond affordability. Even with all of its "problems" though, the S6 is still better than the IPhone 6.

I was not / am not offended ... I just got caught off guard that you would think that a rep could explain everything about a phone, or that you/me/whomever could go into a store and work through every possible scenario to find out exactly what the phone can/can't do.

Let's be real here ... you've been driving an S4 for two years ... friends/coworkers have an S5 that has the same settings/functions/options as you have on your S4 ... that were also on the S3 ... is it really wrong to assume that the S6 will have most/all of those same features? If not exactly as they were implemented on previous versions, but at least there in some way, shape or form ...

It's not like i"m mad at Samsung because they haven't yet implemented some weird-assed feature that only me and maybe a few other people want or would like. I'm talking about everyday, commonplace features that even the iPhone has LOL. Customizing individual ringtones, notification tones and notification vibrations has been around quite a while ... and while the bubble I'm privy to may be small in the grand scheme of things, most everyone I know has at least one or two people that they single out with different ringtones, notification tones and vibration alert patterns so that they can know if "that person" is trying to contact them - without having to go pick up their phone and look at it to see.

And again, it's not a life/death thing here ... it's not making me lose sleep. It's just an "annoyance" that these things are now gone ... because while my phone is still a wonderful device (hardware and software wise), there are things I'd LOVE for it to do - that I feel SHOULD be there w/out question.

Let me end this by saying I agree with you ... all of us SHOULD go check them out in the store as much as possible before buying these phones that cost an arm and a leg ... but even you know that the floor models won't necessarily allow you to do anything/everything that you will eventually run into while owning/using the phone. You also know that user manuals do not get into the kind of fine detail that we are discussing here. This is also why so many here buy the phone ... or multiple phones at one time - only to KNOW they are only trying them out within the return period ... since that is truly the only time you can work the phone over like you really want to, and HOPEFULLY find out all the things you may like or dislike about it.

No hard feelings, and I get your point. I just hope you get mine too, and we can put this "spat" to bed.

jerryrip

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
No biggie lol. I'm a newbie here, having read a lot of threads but never posting. I have an S3 and I wanted to just skip through the S4 and S5 because I wanted something totally different than what I was getting with the S3. Not that I didn't love the phone, but I like to have the latest greatest technology anytime I can afford it lol. That said, I understand your disappointment with some features. Maybe the next model will address a lot of other concerns like the S6 was supposed to.

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Fully charged my phone says something like 33 hours remaining. I think there's may be something wrong with yours.

My phone always says 10 hours remaining when I fully charge it too. Even in power saving mode :/