1 month old 64GB S6 went full stupid. Question...

MGVRay

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
So, I got my girlfriend a S6 last month and today it went full retard. This phone was babied, the only apps on it that are downloaded are mainstream apps like Facebook (which I believe is already installed) and whatnot. She barely uses it other than the camera and social media, is what i'm trying to say.

Issues:
- Restarts every 5 minutes on it's own.
- Super laggy, hard to navigate.
- No data connectivity.
- Phone status (baseband, IMEI, PRL, etc.) everything says unknown or disconnected.
- Camera doesn't work at all. Pitch black.
- Did a factory reset, cannot be activated.

After an hour with the representative over the phone, they're just sending out a replacement. Now, I know it sounds selfish and first world issue, but the phone is only 1 month old and I had asked if they were sending me a refurb or a brand new phone. He said that there was a low chance of a refurb since it's a newer device, but it's possible... I been with VZW since 2009, been a hell of a good customer, etc. etc. etc.

Would it be too much if, upon receiving the replacement and it's a refurb, that I called and complained...?

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
So, I got my girlfriend a S6 last month and today it went full retard. This phone was babied, the only apps on it that are downloaded are mainstream apps like Facebook (which I believe is already installed) and whatnot. She barely uses it other than the camera and social media, is what i'm trying to say.

Issues:
- No data connectivity.
- Phone status (baseband, IMEI, PRL, etc.) everything says unknown or disconnected.

After an hour with the representative over the phone, they're just sending out a replacement. Now, I know it sounds selfish and first world issue, but the phone is only 1 month old and I had asked if they were sending me a refurb or a brand new phone. He said that there was a low chance of a refurb since it's a newer device, but it's possible... I been with VZW since 2009, been a hell of a good customer, etc. etc. etc.

Would it be too much if, upon receiving the replacement and it's a refurb, that I called and complained...?

Highly doubt that it's a refurb phone seeing as it's hard to take the S6 apart. But if it is a refurb phone then chances are it was repaired and might work better then the original phone.
So the only thing you can do is test it out, if it doesn't perform how you would like it to then call back and complain and have them send you another one.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Issues:
- No data connectivity.

Wait and see if it's one. They are "supposed" to be test thoroughly and certified before being sent out, at least that's with AT&T any way.

Mike McQuaid

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely not. Not only would I call and complain, I would lose my mind on the poor soul that had the misfortune of being the agent that my phone call got routed to.

Vzw is NOTORIOUS for that. If you are outside of their 15 day return period, there is a high chance you will receive a refurb, this was one reason that led me to cancel my service with them.

Under no circumstance should any customer, at any time, on any planet recieve a refurb phone replacement for a brand new phone purchased that is still under warranty.

Such crap man...you have every right to raise hell.

Good luck and really really hope they have the sense to send a new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

MGVRay

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Now it's a just a matter of seeing if ATT will cover the cost to get me to switch over... 4 devices on edge and 1 device on 2 year contract.

MGVRay

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Gah, T-Mobile prices are very attractive, but the service in my area is super horrible. They're on par with Boost/Virgin where I live.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not. Not only would I call and complain, I would lose my mind on the poor soul that had the misfortune of being the agent that my phone call got routed to.

Vzw is NOTORIOUS for that. If you are outside of their 15 day return period, there is a high chance you will receive a refurb, this was one reason that led me to cancel my service with them.

Under no circumstance should any customer, at any time, on any planet recieve a refurb phone replacement for a brand new phone purchased that is still under warranty.

Such crap man...you have every right to raise hell.

Good luck and really really hope they have the sense to send a new phone.

I hate to rain on your rant, but unless your phone is dead right out of the box, it's not a new phone. It's used, and they have every right to send you a refurb. Once you open the box and use it, it's no longer considered new..... ;)

Posted via my Rooted LG G3 running DeneROM.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You'd likely have had better luck going through Samsung. Even if it's a refurb it is a Samsung refurb and complaining about a refurb with them might get you a bit further.

I know when I worked for Sprint under no circumstances could a customer get anything but a refurb if we did a swap unless the phone was so new we didn't have any. Nobody could override that. It took about 60 days for the refurbs to flow into the system. The bad fact is if you signed any sort of protection agreement with Version you very likely agreed to get a refurb and there is little you can do to contest that. The company I work for now will allow us to swap out a customers product within 60ish days for a brand new one if something goes wrong but we're one of the few consumer electronic companies to do that. Pretty much all the phone companies are refurb or nothing, likely due to the price of the phone itself.

Not saying it's right but it's pretty much what we all agree to when we sign the papers for the phones these days. That's why I won't deal with AT&T if the phone is under warranty, I go right to the manufacturer. I typically have good luck, though my last 2 ro 3 phones were HTC phones and they have pretty good customer service. Not sure about Samsung.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I hate to rain on your rant, but unless your phone is dead right out of the box, it's not a new phone. It's used, and they have every right to send you a refurb. Once you open the box and use it, it's no longer considered new..... ;)

Posted via my Rooted LG G3 running DeneROM.

True that.

Sent from a far away Galaxy

MGVRay

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Of course a phone once leaving the box is no longer considered new. Never insinuated that. What I am saying though, is I paid for a brand new device, not a scratch n dent sale or discounted refurb. I bought a brand new device. I expect to get a brand new phone in return for this defective one.

Leslie Hatcher

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
My s6 died after 3 weeks. Under no circumstances will Verizon send a new device. Trust me- I fought that for about 2 hours with 3 different reps. Never could get a real reason other than they don't issue new phones for replacement devices. Of course I had the option of going through Samsung- but they had a 4-6 week turnaround time and there was no guarantee of a new device through them.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Been there. Done that on my son's GS3. Went around and around with AT&T. They told me that they had no control from their end on refurb versus new. They said if the refurb was defective, then a new one would be sent out. Refurb worked fine.

MGVRay

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Got the replacement... Refurb. After reading Leslie's post, I will just settle for this for now... If it happens again, i'll just give my girl my 4G tablet so she can use that while I tango with Samsung.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I have had a couple of refurbished phones. It doesn't bother me. They look new and most of the time they have been through more testing to ensure they work.

I see why people want a new phone though but for me it doesn't matter as long as it looks new with no damage and it works perfectly.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
My s6 died after 3 weeks. Under no circumstances will Verizon send a new device. Trust me- I fought that for about 2 hours with 3 different reps. Never could get a real reason other than they don't issue new phones for replacement devices. Of course I had the option of going through Samsung- but they had a 4-6 week turnaround time and there was no guarantee of a new device through them.

Not sure if anything has changed since but last go around before the S6 my father got a nearly 1month old Droid Razr HD with a bad battery replaced with a brand new phone in store. It took some haggling and a manager but the Verizon store took care of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia