01-06-2017 05:57 PM
61 123
tools
    Thanks, Donavan, that worked for me and the button is fine to work with, since the normal Recents key is gone.
    Tazio, not a problem glad to help! I know it's frustrating, but until we (or Samsung) can identify and resolve the issue, it's the best workaround I know of.
    07-16-2015 06:23 AM
    Do you have kids mode installed on ur device?
    08-05-2015 06:42 AM
    Hi, I recently downloaded the Kids app from Galaxy Apps store. I appears that the Recent Apps button stopped working after installing Kids app. Not sure if there's a correlation. Did you encounter the same issue?

Thanks.
    Khalid Shariff likes this.
    08-05-2015 11:16 AM
    Interesting... I deleted the "Kids Mode" app (from Galaxy Apps store) and the Recent Apps button is working. Not sure if there's a menu option in Kids Mode that disables Recent Apps button.

HS
    Khalid Shariff likes this.
    08-05-2015 11:17 AM
    Interesting... I deleted the "Kids Mode" app (from Galaxy Apps store) and the Recent Apps button is working. Not sure if there's a menu option in Kids Mode that disables Recent Apps button.

HS
    Surprisingly, UN installing the kids mode solved my problem. Thanks for saving me the trouble and time for replacing the handset.
    08-29-2015 03:54 PM
    i was just playing around with the phone and stumbled around that my power saving mode was turned off.
    I turned it on for auto on at 15% and the backlight buttons turned on ... some bug
    09-17-2015 02:03 AM
    I had similar issue,luckily i just enable touch sensitivity and recent app button works perfect now.
    10-12-2015 02:15 AM
    My recent apps button is completely non functional. No light, no sound, nothing. It's like it doesn't exist even though there is a vague outline of where it died. I don't have a kid's mode app. The onscreen button works but then puts an ugly circle on the screen. Also, I don't believe the s6 has touch sensitivity adjustment.

What DID work was this:
    I downloaded the free app "All in one Gestures" by YS Liang. It's in the play store.

I was able to set a long press of the back button as the "recent app button". I also enable long press of home button to take a screen shot. I didn't want to look like i was blessing the phone just to get a screen shot, lol. You can also set different functions when swiping from each side of the screen (not just the default top pull down), as well as tapping the corners or notification bar. Check it out! I was pleasantly surprised.

I also downloaded "Galaxy Button Lights" (also free in the google play store) to turn off the backlit keys. Now it's hidden
    10-16-2015 06:52 PM
    I too had this issue. I spent two days scouring the internet for answers and guidance. I tried EVERYTHING that i came across and did every cleaning and reboot that there is. I finally took it to my carrier who immediately told me there was nothing they could do, that I would have to send it in and get a new one. I called Samsung who confirmed my carrier and sent me a mailing label. As I was backing everything up and taking out the SIM card I realized that i forgot something and put the SIM card back in the phone...after it restarted BAM everything works fine now. NO IDEA WTF HAPPENED but figured I'd share.
    11-18-2015 02:56 PM
    Hi, I recently downloaded the Kids app from Galaxy Apps store. I appears that the Recent Apps button stopped working after installing Kids app. Not sure if there's a correlation. Did you encounter the same issue?

Thanks.
    This worked for me. I uninstalled and reinstalled the kids mode and the button is back to normal. Thanks for mentioning your fix!
    11-30-2015 05:50 PM
    So on my S6, the Recent Apps button is no longer working or even lit. When I open several apps, I'm unable to use that button.

I cleared cache, etc. VZW is offering me a new phone, but it's "factory reconditioned" and I'd like to keep this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    It's touchwiz people you just need to reinstall it
    12-19-2015 06:55 AM
    It's touchwiz people you just need to reinstall it
    Daniel, how do you reinstall Touchwiz?
    12-19-2015 07:19 AM
    Solved - Tried nearly everything I read on the internet about this issue except factory reset, wiping cache, turning on and off, uninstalling updated and apps...Here's what I randomly found that worked for me:

Go to 'Settings' -> 'Backup and reset' -> 'Reset settings'

Your phone will shut down and restart itself. This will not erase stored files on your phone or anything like that, it will just get rid of any wifi passwords you have saved as well as if you have any special arrangement of icons/apps on your screen, it will reset those. Once it's done rebooting it should be working.

Let me know if this works.

Cheers
    01-15-2016 06:04 PM

Thanks.
    I went back into the Kids App, and clicked "More"... then I hit close app, and it worked.
    02-28-2016 09:46 PM
    My s6 edge + recent key don't work my camera icon on lock screen is not there. When I receive a call it rings but nothing show up on my screen I wipe cache and still the same.
    03-02-2016 05:54 PM
    I Have Trouble like u are...
    press call *#0*# and then press grip sensor and then press recents key.......... it work, I think it's not hardware but software that unable the key..

I have already 2times trouble like this.
    I also want to find the answers

hope we can get it..
    I have dialed *#0*# and I pressed on grip sensor and it shows that it's working
    But after all it still not working
    03-04-2016 01:34 PM
    Yep, Kids Mode also disabled my recent apps. I just opened it and closed it again, and everything was back to normal. No need to even uninstall.
    03-10-2016 11:29 AM
    I know this is an old thread, but thank you for sharing because this worked for me too. I just uninstalled kids mode and everything is back to normal. I was just about to do a factory reset!
    03-28-2016 01:33 AM
    Sorry but I'm new to these forums. I created this comment but cannot see how to delete it.... only edit
    04-04-2016 08:31 PM
    Here is a "solution" that has worked for me. My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

If someone finds a true fix, please post it! But in the meantime ...

I hope this helps!

Thank you thank you thank you. I had my front replaced and about a week later I lost both soft buttons. So many apps get stuck if you can use the back button...... This little gem is exactly what I needed!
    04-04-2016 08:33 PM
    Thank you thank you thank you. I had my front replaced and about a week later I lost both soft buttons. So many apps get stuck if you can use the back button...... This little gem is exactly what I needed!
    Glad to help!
    04-04-2016 10:10 PM
    I had the same problem with my Galaxy S6. The problem on mine was the power saving mode. When it is turned on the buttons don't light up. If you turn power saving mode off they work.

So you have to decide if want the two buttons to light up and drain the battery more quickly or dark lights and more battery life.

Samsung and all mobile companies suck. They put all this cool stuff on the phones but you can't use them because the batteries don't pack enough juice for 15 to 20 hours on one charge a day. Merde!
    04-23-2016 11:34 AM
    Same issue as you guys. At first my phone was glitching between recent apps and split screen mode! Several factory resets to no avail! I eventually factory reset AND deleted the cache. This resulted in the recent apps button not working - but it still lit up when the back key was pressed. Following some research there seems to be a consensus that this function has been removed. (I'm guessing a firmware update had gone rogue and they have deactivated it)

My solution a simple one - at least one that cost zero as opposed to going to by a new phone and most likely get the same issue!

I downloaded an app from the market place called 'All in one gestures' and assigned a swipe gesture from the top right of my screen to open recent apps. Works great and its free! I wonder if the next update - it will be resolved..... hmmmm
    06-15-2016 08:35 AM
    Hi

Just wanted to post a solution that i found worked and resolved my recent apps button issue plus my notification panel issue:

Solution copied below:
    Hi,

Does the button light up?

This is was a historic issue on Samsung phones and was because of a faulty/corrupt software update. You can try a couple of things the first is to clear the cache:

Press and hold Power, Volume Up and the Home button
    You'll see a blue screen with the Android on it, then you'll be taken to the recovery menu.
    Use the volume buttons to scroll and highlight Wipe Cache Partition. Press Power to confirm.
    You have already tried the factory reset so next step would be to connect to Samsung Smart Switch and perform a recovery reinstalling the firmware.

If if this still doesn't work then firstly contact Samsung support here: Mobile Phone | Support | SAMSUNG UK as the phone is still under warranty.

Hope this helps.
    End of copied solution

I tried the wipe cache option but not the factory reset after reading so many posts stating it didn't it didn't work but the Samsung Smart Switch/recovery reinstall solved the problem and i've also noticed that my phone is faster and isn't lagging as much as it was after i upgraded the firmware.

NB. You need to dload the Samsung Smart Switch pc version and connect your phone to your PC. I tried the phone app version but couldn't find the recovery install option. The PC version can be found here:
    Samsung Smartswitch | SAMSUNG UK

Hope this helps
    06-18-2016 06:51 AM
    So frustrated!

I was on skype with a friend and the phone kept trying to switch into split screen mode, then popping up errors saying that the app didn't support it.

I kept trying to get back to the app to re-enter full screen mode and the button wouldn't work. I restarted my phone twice before the split screen mode finally stopped trying to kick in, but the recent apps button still won't work.

I've restarted, I've checked my power saving options, I've done the cache wipe.....nada.
    06-20-2016 12:13 AM
61 123