01-06-2017 05:57 PM
61 123
tools
    Device reset should be a last resort. Like taking a machete to perform delicate surgery.

Try clearing the cache partition.

Turn the device off.
    Volume up+home+power
    Use volume rocker to select clear cache. Power to accept.
    Toggle to reboot. Power to accept.

Please,let us know what happens when it boots up.
    This worked for me. Many thanks.
    06-29-2016 10:53 PM
    The recent apps button stopped working after using my S6 extensively in the rain today. The best workaround I found so far is the "All in one Gestures" app. You can set up a gesture, e.g. swipe from bottom-left corner to bring up the recent apps list or even remap 'long-press back key' to recent apps (if your back key is still working).
    07-24-2016 05:27 PM
    Here is a "solution" that has worked for me. My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

If someone finds a true fix, please post it! But in the meantime ...

I hope this helps!
    I've been looking for something like this since mine stopped working a week ago I kept thinking why would there not be another way to get to recent apps. Thanks man not a true fix but now my battery may last more than 8 hours whilst trying to run 50 apps. Cheers
    09-28-2016 08:59 AM
    I've been looking for something like this since mine stopped working a week ago I kept thinking why would there not be another way to get to recent apps. Thanks man not a true fix but now my battery may last more than 8 hours whilst trying to run 50 apps. Cheers
    Indeed Daniel, glad to help!
    09-28-2016 06:02 PM
    Here is a "solution" that has worked for me. My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

If someone finds a true fix, please post it! But in the meantime ...

I hope this helps!
    I know this is an old thread but thank you thank you thank you so much for this post! I accidentally dropped my phone in water at the weekend and ever since the "recent apps" button isn't working. This fix has solved the problem and means I won't need to send back to Samsung. Thanks again!!
    10-03-2016 04:58 AM
    I know this is an old thread but thank you thank you thank you so much for this post! I accidentally dropped my phone in water at the weekend and ever since the "recent apps" button isn't working. This fix has solved the problem and means I won't need to send back to Samsung. Thanks again!!
    @Harribo34, glad to help!

Not sure why this capability is not well advertised, but happy it is available.
    10-03-2016 06:54 AM
    This is great. Super helpful. Thank you
    10-22-2016 03:47 PM
    So on my S6, the Recent Apps button is no longer working or even lit. When I open several apps, I'm unable to use that button.

I cleared cache, etc. VZW is offering me a new phone, but it's "factory reconditioned" and I'd like to keep this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Same thing here.. lights work but not the recents or back keys ... did soft reset..cleared cache and reboot..and a factory reset..still nothing.. I belive it to be an issue with the native email an ppec as that was and still is causing issues ... and u cannot Uninstall it.

So here are 2 solutions.. sounds length but it isn't...
    1 go to settings.. accessibility..dexterity and interaction.. assistant menu.. turn it on
    ..a floating app will alow u to use back and recents keys..

But better yet install the (all in one gestured app)
    You can play with this to make the recents and back as well as many functions go where u like on the screen.
    I found Best to do as follows
    click more... click more hot-spot..
    Click 12 hot-spot straight swipe... click on swipe ... click enable.. go to the "bottom" listings..not the bottom of the screen...lol
    Check the right box assign "back"... Center assign no action own what ever u like.. left assign "recents"...
    Better now than before it was broken all actions right above the home key on the screen..
    Play with settings for size transparency..etc..

Better than factory... and don't need to buy a new phone..
    Good luck.
    11-07-2016 05:19 PM
    I am having the same problem but it is just my recent apps button and it still vibrates and lights up when I touch it. I've tired all the things you have said except a factory reset. I even tried the apps they didn't work for me AT ALL so I don't know what's going on. Also, when I have my phone's power off screen on it only shows two options POWER OFF and RESTART the other one that is usually there has disappeared. Could I have been hacked? If so how do I fix that problem? Should I just reset it and hope that works?
    12-08-2016 10:28 AM
    Thanks, Donavan, that worked for me and the button is fine to work with, since the normal Recents key is gone.
    I have the same problem, suddenly the recent apps isn't working. I'm using the assistance menu, but it's not the same. I also did a reboot, (which I hated) and nothing. I tried the *#0*#, but it doesn't give me the grip sensor option. Is there anything I can do or is getting another phone the only option.
    12-29-2016 02:48 PM
    its not working, i tried clearing the cache, factory reset, everything, will i have to get a new phone????
    01-06-2017 05:57 PM
61 123