01-06-2017 05:57 PM
61 123
tools
    So on my S6, the Recent Apps button is no longer working or even lit. When I open several apps, I'm unable to use that button.

I cleared cache, etc. VZW is offering me a new phone, but it's "factory reconditioned" and I'd like to keep this one.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    05-21-2015 10:13 AM
    it does sound like a hardware issue to me, best bet might be to take the replacements even if it is a refurb I know that sucks oh and just my opinion...
    05-21-2015 10:21 AM
    it does sound like a hardware issue to me, best bet might be to take the replacements even if it is a refurb I know that sucks oh and just my opinion...
    I might just live with it. Don't like used ones.
    systemofadown1 likes this.
    05-21-2015 10:33 AM
    It could always be an app causing trouble, that's just a guess hoping for the best case scenario. don't give up hope yet someone here might just come along with the answer you need

might be a worthwhile shot to clear your cache in recovery. See if that helps.
    05-21-2015 11:30 AM
    It could always be an app causing trouble, that's just a guess hoping for the best case scenario. don't give up hope yet someone here might just come along with the answer you need

might be a worthwhile shot to clear your cache in recovery. See if that helps.
    Or factory reset the phone?
    05-21-2015 11:35 AM
    Or factory reset the phone?
    that is an option I'd save it for last but it's worth a shot to before you have to accept a used phone.
    05-21-2015 01:18 PM
    that is an option I'd save it for last but it's worth a shot to before you have to accept a used phone.
    Reset to factory settings and still not working. Argh!
    05-21-2015 04:23 PM
    Dang...
    Probably hardware...
    05-21-2015 04:30 PM
    Go to Settings/Display/Touch Key Light Duration/. Check the setting.
    05-21-2015 04:53 PM
    Reset to factory settings and still not working. Argh!
    Factory settings or FDR? It sounds like hardware but before you call it a day at least try an FDR.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-21-2015 05:01 PM
    Go to Settings/Display/Touch Key Light Duration/. Check the setting.
    Hmm, don't see that option. I'm on Verizon.
    05-21-2015 05:05 PM
    Factory settings or FDR? It sounds like hardware but before you call it a day at least try an FDR.

It was FDR. Think I'm screwed.
    05-21-2015 05:06 PM
    Device reset should be a last resort. Like taking a machete to perform delicate surgery.

Try clearing the cache partition.

Turn the device off.
    Volume up+home+power
    Use volume rocker to select clear cache. Power to accept.
    Toggle to reboot. Power to accept.

Please,let us know what happens when it boots up.
    05-21-2015 06:27 PM
    It was FDR. Think I'm screwed.
    unfortunately yes.

05-21-2015 06:32 PM
    Device reset should be a last resort. Like taking a machete to perform delicate surgery.

Turn the device off.
    Volume up+home+power

Nope, same issue. It has to be the hardware.
    05-21-2015 06:35 PM

Turn the device off.
    Volume up+home+power

These dramatic posts always make me think of something that captain kirk would say......he said that he did an FDR. If an FDR didn't work then clearing the cache wont do a thing.

05-21-2015 06:36 PM
    These dramatic posts always make me think of something that captain kirk would say......he said that he did an FDR. If an FDR didn't work then clearing the cache wont do a thing.

Refurb arrives on Tuesday.
    05-21-2015 06:39 PM
    Nope, same issue. It has to be the hardware.
    Now get out the machete...if nada, time for exchange....
    05-21-2015 06:40 PM
    Refurb arrives on Tuesday.
    I'm sure the refurb will be like new. Good luck!! And please never hit your phone with a machete....could be dangerous.

05-21-2015 06:47 PM
    My samsung s6 does the same. Recent apps soft key has stopped working. Can not access recent apps. Saw elsewhere on the net that Google updates has deleted the function. Don't know what is actually going on. Very frustrating. My phone is only 6 weeks old. Brand new, not refurb.
    05-22-2015 03:34 PM
    Here is a "solution" that has worked for me. My S6 is the Verizon variant, but I think these steps will work on any Service Provider.

Settings > Accessibility > Dexterity and interaction > Assistant menu

From here, toggle the switch to "ON". This will create a hovering circle with a window with four panes inside it. If you interactive with the hovering circle it will open a new window in which you have access to the back and recent apps buttons via an onscreen button.

Not sure what has disabled the hardware buttons, but this should give you access via onscreen software.

I know it's not a true fix, but a work around.

If someone finds a true fix, please post it! But in the meantime ...

I hope this helps!
    co5489 and forkee like this.
    06-29-2015 12:08 AM
    I Have Trouble like u are...
    press call *#0*# and then press grip sensor and then press recents key.......... it work, I think it's not hardware but software that unable the key..

I have already 2times trouble like this.
    I also want to find the answers

hope we can get it..
    06-30-2015 05:04 AM
    I have the same problem. Since a week, my recent apps button is no longer working. However, if I press the Home or Back button, the Recent Apps button is still lit. But if I press the recent apps button, nothing happens.

I tried clearing the cache partition as suggested by jcp007, but no result. The workaround suggested by DonovanEdge works nice, but is not as good as using the Recent Apps button itself.

If someone has another suggestion...
    07-14-2015 02:55 AM
    I have the same problem. Since a week, my recent apps button is no longer working. However, if I press the Home or Back button, the Recent Apps button is still lit. But if I press the recent apps button, nothing happens.

I tried clearing the cache partition as suggested by jcp007, but no result. The workaround suggested by DonovanEdge works nice, but is not as good as using the Recent Apps button itself.

If someone has another suggestion...
    I was unable to fix this. It was maybe only a month old at the time, so , so Samsung sent me a (refurbed) replacement for free.
    07-14-2015 10:54 AM
    Thanks, Donavan, that worked for me and the button is fine to work with, since the normal Recents key is gone.
    07-14-2015 12:32 PM
61 123