05-24-2015 08:00 PM
120 12345
tools
    Having been a Samsung "family" for quite a few years now, I for one believe there may be some truth to this article.

From tablets to phones to even TV's, we purchased the Samsung line of products because of the "features" they offered vs. their competitors. But at this point, we have not only refrained from jumping on the S6 bandwagon but are now looking at other manufacturers once again solely because it appears that Samsung is becoming a "follower" instead of a "leader", at least in regards to the "substance" of their products. Removable batteries, SD cards, high res displays, S pen, etc. are a few parts of what I refer to as "flexible functionality" and was what made Samsung products "stand out in a crowd" for us. They were the MAIN reason we bought Samsung in the first place. But I guess we are more and more in the minority in this line of thinking because glass cases and curved screens, even with their TV's, which are all flash, no substance, and gimmicky at most, are what they seem to believe will sell their products nowdays, or will it? I always seemed to read about how the plastic backs on the Samsung phones made them "look" cheap when anyone that owned one knew the real truth. I guess as a previous poster noted, what the press "thinks" is much more important than what the end user "needs".

Sadly, the changes to the S6, including the "edge", did not in our opinion help Samsung "stand out in the crowd" but rather "blend in" and become just another "pretty face" that hides whatever "substance" may actually lie within. What does all the "flash" really do if as a user, I just cover it all up with a case as most people seem to do and do I want to pay a premium price for reduced functionality? If the Note 5 follows this path as well, then at least for us, it will be VERY difficult to not look elsewhere.
    Could not agree more. People on this forum and the mobile phone press keep on telling us that removable batteries and expandable storage don't matter to most consumers. Maybe enough to make a large difference in sales.

Keep it up....

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.
    05-23-2015 11:18 AM
    The S6 is a nice phone but here is what I think hurts sales;
    1. Eliminating the SD card AND charging $100 more for the 64GB vs. the 32GB.
    2. Eliminating the removable battery AND using an undersized battery.
    3. Sealing the case but NOT providing water resistance.
    4. Not enabling WiFi calling
    5. Bloatware
    But the S6 fan club will tell you that these things don't matter to the masses. It must just be me and you then......

05-23-2015 11:20 AM
    Ah. The excuses are abound.

The bigger question is this: why should anyone upgrade their device from, say, the S5 to the S6? What can the S6 do the S5 can't do? The S6 has 8 cores for processing. So what? No phone needs 8 cores. The S6's battery is smaller. The S5's battery lasts longer. The S5 is waterproof/dustproof. There is absolutely no need for anyone to "upgrade" to the S6, unless pretty phones are your thing. But everyone slaps on a 2" thick plastic case anyways.
    Some of this is related to the Lollipop update, but the S6 is noticeably faster to use than the S5, particularly in task switching. My battery life is also better than on the S5. My phone is my primary camera, so the better low light performance is a huge deal with me. The narrower build makes it easier to hold and reach across, and the fingerprint scanner is probably the thing that most makes the day to day usability much more pleasant. I am here and there on the SD card issue (I had one where I stored all my media, but appreciate the faster read write speeds on local storage), but if I designed it from scratch I would have tried to keep the same size battery and waterproofing. Again, as I mentioned above, Samsung sales globally are much more related to market forces than the phone itself. I doubt including any of the features listed in this thread would have made a huge difference. Rather, building a phone that the tech press loved at least built up the hype train in the US for early adopters.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-23-2015 11:47 AM
    But the S6 fan club will tell you that these things don't matter to the masses. It must just be me and you then......

There's going to be bloatware on anything non Apple unfortunately. The lack of SD and removable battery may be hurting them in emerging markets, but in in the US and Europe the vast majority of people don't pay attention to that. In Japan, Samsung has struggled for years and has an perception problem. People their perceive the iPhone to be the most hip and cool device to be seen with. It doesn't matter if the S6 is a better phone or not, they will still buy an iPhone to be hip. Here in the states (and this is not to bash all iPhone users, but it's the experience I have had with friends, family and coworkers who use them) many iPhone users are simply just a herd of iSheep. Nearly every iPhone user I know is iOS for life, they're mostly on their second and third iOS device and won't even consider what anyone else has to offer - don't even want to know because to them just by being an iPhone automatically makes it better. Gotta love the circular logic or lack thereof. I also have friends tell me that not using micro usb for charging makes the phone better. That being said, my family are all first time Samsung buyers. Two white 64 and one black 32. Heck, we even converted my sister from iOS and outside of the forums I've yet to see that amongst anyone I know.

05-23-2015 12:11 PM
    Yep, market research has shown these issues aren't concerns of everyone who doesn't frequent these forums.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    05-23-2015 12:22 PM
    As many of us know, and many still have no clue...

It's marketing AND advertising that gets the message through to the potential buyers.

Now with the internet and forums, these contribute much to the educational and sales process.

Samsung took the marketing approach two years ago to differentiate themselves from Apple with their removable battery commercials and NOT being tied into the wall outlets at airports as Apple buyers have to do.

OK... well and good. But the S5 in the eyes of Samsung executives didn't meet their expectations in sales volume that they were looking for.

They then redesigned the S6 to basically COPY Apple and while the verdict is still out, I can honestly say that out of ALL my friends and associates in the corporate and in the independent business worlds...

I have NOT seen a single S6 in anyone's possession... while virtually everyone is running older S5's and S4's or Apple phones!

And of the newest phones purchased, ALL of them appear to be Apple 6's and 6+'s.

Real world time usage does NOT lie! Maybe on this forum people like and want to like their S6. However, perhaps the marketing by Samsung has NOT worked well AGAIN!

Apple phones appear to be dominating the new phone marketplace. And this from a guy who has NEVER owned an Apple phone, has had the same cell number for 22 years and who has a UDP from VZ and who WANTED an S6... but who definitely sees that Samsung has lost its MARKETING way with the S6.

Currently on the S4 under a no deductible VZ extended warranty!
    05-23-2015 12:28 PM
    I still think one problem is just complacency with Apple, and it being omnipresent and therefore something people don't want to leave. I think people are oblivious and/or intimidated when it comes to Android. People have iPhones, they know it "works", and are happy with sticking with it. My aunt got the S5 and hates it because she thinks there's too many options for what she can do. Yes, too many options is a bad thing for her, and I suspect this can be the case for many casuals. At the same time I can understand S6 sales suffering as a result of the Android user base being turned off by the doing away of the removable battery and expandable memory.

And battery life is definitely not just a concern for people working with the S6 out of the box. I am extremely annoyed by the battery life I get and I've made many tweaks. I recently went with turning off location services when I am not in present need of it, but I feel that the amount of changes that I have to make is becoming borderline absurd. This is my first Android phone and I suppose I still have some things to learn, but for my first experience on the operating system I am definitely a little annoyed by the battery life.
    05-23-2015 12:33 PM
    What's more disastrous is that we are all weighing before the facts are in and using this thread to vent issues and regrets. We can question the wisdom of Samsung design choices all day and it won't make a difference. Samsung smartphone revenue regardless of the number of variants and models is greater than most of their completion combined. So what if the GS506 sells fewer than the competition or it's predecessors, in the long run, it will pay off. Greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Just my opinion and not meant to sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those who are wondering. I am also not an attorney or paid spokesperson for Samsung. If Samsung makes some bad missteps like HTC, I will be the first to call them on it.
    05-23-2015 12:41 PM
    People their perceive the iPhone to be the most hip and cool device to be seen with. It doesn't matter if the S6 is a better phone or not, they will still buy an iPhone to be hip. Here in the states (and this is not to bash all iPhone users, but it's the experience I have had with friends, family and coworkers who use them) many iPhone users are simply just a herd of iSheep. Nearly every iPhone user I know is iOS for life, they're mostly on their second and third iOS device and won't even consider what anyone else has to offer - don't even want to know because to them just by being an iPhone automatically makes it better. Gotta love the circular logic or lack thereof.
    Funny, but I actually think my S6 edge is the way cooler device over my iPhone. But that said, you can't be too dismissive of Apple's massive (and growing) following. Those numbers in the reports are just stunning and can't be so easily dismissed.

The vast majority of consumers just want a phone that works - that they don't have to tinker with all the time, worry about battery life constantly, deal with lag, get quick updates to revolve problems, receive world-class customer experiences from the manufacturer and run fantastic, smooth Apps.

Like it or not, Apple delivers on all of these which is why their fan base is so loyal and why they are now receiving 93% of all cell phone industry profits as of last Quarter and selling over 70 million phones during the holiday season and 50-60 million in other Quarters. It's not just good press or "iSheep" blindly following them, Apple delivers an exceptional phone ownership experience and, sadly for Samsung, sales (and profits) are really showing it at this point.

Honestly, as an S6 edge owner that paid out of pocket nearly $1,000.00 for my 128GB, Samsung and Google could learn a lot from Apple.
    neiljay6 and newsman787 like this.
    05-23-2015 12:53 PM
    I'm not saying they don't make a good device. Most of the iPhone users I know had a very good experience with their first iPhone, and because the initial experience was good, they will now blindly follow Apple for life. First impressions can be make or break. Earlier iPhones were much smoother and easier to use than Androids. Just like a lot of people I know won't buy a domestic (US/Canada) vehicle ever again, because their first experience was poor. It doesn't matter how good one may be today, the damage was already done.

05-23-2015 02:18 PM
    Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not reacting to any of this until the actual numbers come out from Samsung.

Here's a couple variables that influence my reluctance to buy this "low sales" idea:
    #1. They had to add assembly lines in another factory to meet demand
    #2. They had to supply their own cameras to augment Sony's supply, again to meet demand.
    #3. They had to manufacture more gold devices for Europe, due to demand far exceeding what they expected.

Regardless of the numbers, I'm thrilled with the phone. The speed, stability and display.... the fit and finish.... Good stuff.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    05-23-2015 02:47 PM
    What's more disastrous is that we are all weighing before the facts are in and using this thread to vent issues and regrets. We can question the wisdom of Samsung design choices all day and it won't make a difference. Samsung smartphone revenue regardless of the number of variants and models is greater than most of their completion combined. So what if the GS506 sells fewer than the competition or it's predecessors, in the long run, it will pay off. Greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Just my opinion and not meant to sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those who are wondering. I am also not an attorney or paid spokesperson for Samsung. If Samsung makes some bad missteps like HTC, I will be the first to call them on it.
    I agree. It's most disastrous to weigh in with our negative opinions.
    05-23-2015 03:04 PM
    Ah. The excuses are abound.

The bigger question is this: why should anyone upgrade their device from, say, the S5 to the S6? What can the S6 do the S5 can't do? The S6 has 8 cores for processing. So what? No phone needs 8 cores. The S6's battery is smaller. The S5's battery lasts longer. The S5 is waterproof/dustproof. There is absolutely no need for anyone to "upgrade" to the S6, unless pretty phones are your thing. But everyone slaps on a 2" thick plastic case anyways.
    What excuses? Every single article on S6 sales so far are pure speculation because none of them actually have the real figures.
    05-23-2015 03:16 PM
    Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not reacting to any of this until the actual numbers come out from Samsung.
    Agreed...we won't really know until the actual numbers are released. That said, Forbes was citing a Korean newspaper that got the sales information confirmed from a high ranking Samsung official so apparently there was confirmation from Samsung (though not official) for the soft S6 sales numbers, maybe to ease things a bit when the actual numbers are released.

Of course, it's speculation until the real numbers come out but Samsung's official silence about sales does make you wonder since I'm sure they would be singing from the rooftops if sales were going well or at least denying the initial sales report. Will be fascinating to see the actual data.

Anyway, here is the Forbes update/weekly summary from yesterday:

FORBES
    Galaxy S6 Sales Disaster

While there are no confirmed numbers (and Samsung’s comment is “no comment”), the reporting of the first month of sales on the Galaxy S6 is not what the South Korean manufacturer would have been hoping for. Ten million is not just on the low-end of expectations, it’s crashing through the floor and have a serious effect on the finances of the parent company.

Korean news agency Yonhap reports that it has taken a month for sales of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge to reach 10M. Speaking to Yonhap a ‘high-ranking Samsung official’ confirmed this figure for the first time. Trying to put a positive spin on it the official said: “The sales of the Galaxy S6 series have already surpassed 10 million.”
    05-23-2015 03:23 PM
    What excuses? Every single article on S6 sales so far are pure speculation because none of them actually have the real figures.
    None of us knows until the sales figures are reported by Samsung. Speculation based upon zero facts is pointless. Critics are going to jump on the lack of information as proof positive that Samsung made a mistake. A rush to judgement without the facts serves no purpose.

This post is my opinion and a response to a prior post or series of posts. It is not intended to be sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those wondering. I am not a paid attorney spokesperson nor am I a Samsung employee but I am the Korean Thor.
    05-23-2015 04:01 PM
    Of course, it's speculation until the real numbers come out but Samsung's official silence about sales does make you wonder since I'm sure they would be singing from the rooftops if sales were going well or at least denying the initial sales report....

Anyway, here is the Forbes update/weekly summary from yesterday:
    While there are no confirmed numbers (and Samsung’s comment is “no comment”)
    It took me a whopping 10 seconds to find out that Samsung's CEO has officially denied sluggish S6 sales.

Rule of thumb: when you read something on the internet take the time to find out the whole story instead of jumping on one side of it. If you ask me to post links you should know I'm just going to link you one of those "let me Google that for you" links. Just saying.
    neiljay6 and jcp007 like this.
    05-23-2015 04:08 PM
    Well, I like the S6, after coming from a Blackberry Z30
    neiljay6 and Solitude1984 like this.
    05-23-2015 06:09 PM
    CEO wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't sound positive on sales. Protecting his job too. But the real tell is confirming that they just recently passed 10 million sales. He couldn't say the 15 million? Not even 11? Also take into account the mention that the s6 is more expensive to make than the s5... Up to $30 more in some cases. Well have to wait until next earnings report to probably get a clearer idea.

05-23-2015 06:16 PM
    CEO wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't sound positive on sales. Protecting his job too. But the real tell is confirming that they just recently passed 10 million sales. He couldn't say the 15 million? Not even 11? Also take into account the mention that the s6 is more expensive to make than the s5... Up to $30 more in some cases. Well have to wait until next earnings report to probably get a clearer idea.

He didn't clarify anything, no I'm not sure what you're getting at
    05-23-2015 07:01 PM
    It's easier to jump to conclusions based upon zero facts that to do the research first and deal with the truth when it comes to products, people or other issues. Until we see the GS6 earned $xx million on xx million units versus the GS5 or GS4 over a comparable time period, rampant speculation is worthless, pointless, serving absolutely no purpose.
    05-23-2015 07:17 PM
    I see demand as very high for the S6 and Edge especially Gold which while nice, its not for me. I am not buying the lackluster sales from any pro-apple news outlet.
    neiljay6 likes this.
    05-23-2015 08:11 PM
    It's easier to jump to conclusions based upon zero facts that to do the research first and deal with the truth when it comes to products, people or other issues. Until we see the GS6 earned $xx million on xx million units versus the GS5 or GS4 over a comparable time period, rampant speculation is worthless, pointless, serving absolutely no purpose.
    I'm not sure it's fair to say this is based upon "zero facts". As a first day, early adopter and someone who thinks the S6 was the right move for Samsung, I wish it wasn't true but the reports are from Forbes and Business Insider, both very respected business publications. The original source was sales statistics that were gathered by a Korean business newspaper which were subsequently confirmed by a high ranking Samsung official.

Agreed, there is no official sales data from Samsung (and that won't come for a while) but consider that Apple is more than happy a few days into its release to share that they sold a record 10 million iPhone 6's in just the first weekend, well ahead of any official quarterly report. If Samsung's sales were not as concerning as reported, it would seem that Samsung would issue an early release as well regarding how great the S6 is doing but instead, the response is "no comment".

But, perhaps the S6 is a runaway hit and Samsung is just being coy. Hopefully, the picture becomes clearer in short order.

Anyway, here was the Apple press release just 3 days into iPhone 6 sales for comparison to Samsung's silence:

First Weekend iPhone Sales Top 10 Million, Set New Record
    CUPERTINO, California—September 22, 2014— Apple® today announced it has sold over 10 million new iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, a new record, just three days after the launch on September 19. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK and will be available in more than 20 additional countries on September 26. The new iPhones will be available in 115 countries by the end of the year.

“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.
    05-23-2015 08:13 PM
    Samsung CEO denies Galaxy Note 5 July launch rumors - GSMArena.com news

"He said the Galaxy S6 is doing great on the market, its sales have recently surpassed the 10 million units milestone."

We'll get numbers in another quarter and we'll find out how S6 sales are going. Until then I'm just discussing/speculating just like everyone else on this thread.

He didn't clarify anything, no I'm not sure what you're getting at
    05-23-2015 08:21 PM
    I'm not sure it's fair to say this is based upon "zero facts". As a first day, early adopter and someone who thinks the S6 was the right move for Samsung, I wish it wasn't true but the reports are from Forbes and Business Week, both very respected business publications. The original source was sales statistics that were gathered by a Korean business newspaper which were subsequently confirmed by a high ranking Samsung official.

Agreed, there is no official sales data from Samsung (and that won't come for a while) but consider that Apple is more than happy a few days into its release to share that they sold a record 10 million iPhone 6's in just the first weekend, well ahead of any official quarterly report. If Samsung's sales were not as concerning as reported, it would seem that Samsung would issue an early release as well regarding how great the S6 is doing but instead, the response is "no comment".

But, perhaps the S6 is a runaway hit and Samsung is just being coy. Hopefully, the picture becomes clearer in short order.

Anyway, here was the Apple press release just 3 days into iPhone 6 sales for comparison to Samsung's silence:

First Weekend iPhone Sales Top 10 Million, Set New Record
    CUPERTINO, California—September 22, 2014— Apple® today announced it has sold over 10 million new iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, a new record, just three days after the launch on September 19. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK and will be available in more than 20 additional countries on September 26. The new iPhones will be available in 115 countries by the end of the year.

“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.
    Not questioning whether either publications are reputable but they are unnamed sources quoted by a Korean newspaper. How many times have we seen unnamed sources drive a particular narrative supporting the argument or spin of one side of the discussion. Just because it's in print or on the internet doesn't make it true. Put a name with the information and vet the name and information. Publications should be disinterested, objective third parties instead they have become the bludgeon to crush whoever doesn't agree with them, facts or not.
    05-23-2015 08:24 PM
    Forbes is on Apples payroll, so I ignore most of the garbage they write.
    I do believe Samsung is selling less than the previous year but it's not because people don't like the S6/Edge.
    iPhone 6 and 6+ are putting a little hurt on them (people wanted a big screen iPhone for a LONG time)
    But, it's not just iPhone. Android has had some fantastic devices released over the last 2 years and that's just more competition outside just Apple.
    People are now buying Motorola, LG, Nexus, Sony, HTC, Huawei, Xiaomi, 1+one etc. Samsung used to be a go to device for android.
    Now, there is a LOT more options.
    I was never a big fan of samsung. I have actually hated every single device they've released until the Note 4.
    I wish more people would give the S6 a try. I bough TWO, an S6 for my dad (after he said he didn't like the iPhone 6+ i got him). And an S6 Edge for me
    I work at apple. i love apple products. i have an iPhone 6 as well, but I have to be honest, the S6 Edge is the best device I have ever used.
    I have had it 45-ish days now, and I love it more every day. It's perfect (to me). Feels incredible in the hand, not Too big, not too small.

Anyways... S6 Edge is awesome. I have now seen several people with them out in the wild.
    I hope Samsung doesn't change it too much on S7 because I LOVE this phone.
    My iPhone collects dust. I use the S6 even at Apple.
    05-23-2015 09:48 PM
120 12345