Forbes calls S6 sales so far "Disastrous"

Status
Not open for further replies.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not reacting to any of this until the actual numbers come out from Samsung.

Here's a couple variables that influence my reluctance to buy this "low sales" idea:
#1. They had to add assembly lines in another factory to meet demand
#2. They had to supply their own cameras to augment Sony's supply, again to meet demand.
#3. They had to manufacture more gold devices for Europe, due to demand far exceeding what they expected.

Regardless of the numbers, I'm thrilled with the phone. The speed, stability and display.... the fit and finish.... Good stuff.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
What's more disastrous is that we are all weighing before the facts are in and using this thread to vent issues and regrets. We can question the wisdom of Samsung design choices all day and it won't make a difference. Samsung smartphone revenue regardless of the number of variants and models is greater than most of their completion combined. So what if the GS506 sells fewer than the competition or it's predecessors, in the long run, it will pay off. Greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Just my opinion and not meant to sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those who are wondering. I am also not an attorney or paid spokesperson for Samsung. If Samsung makes some bad missteps like HTC, I will be the first to call them on it.

I agree. It's most disastrous to weigh in with our negative opinions.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Ah. The excuses are abound.

The bigger question is this: why should anyone upgrade their device from, say, the S5 to the S6? What can the S6 do the S5 can't do? The S6 has 8 cores for processing. So what? No phone needs 8 cores. The S6's battery is smaller. The S5's battery lasts longer. The S5 is waterproof/dustproof. There is absolutely no need for anyone to "upgrade" to the S6, unless pretty phones are your thing. But everyone slaps on a 2" thick plastic case anyways.
What excuses? Every single article on S6 sales so far are pure speculation because none of them actually have the real figures.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not reacting to any of this until the actual numbers come out from Samsung.

Agreed...we won't really know until the actual numbers are released. That said, Forbes was citing a Korean newspaper that got the sales information confirmed from a high ranking Samsung official so apparently there was confirmation from Samsung (though not official) for the soft S6 sales numbers, maybe to ease things a bit when the actual numbers are released.

Of course, it's speculation until the real numbers come out but Samsung's official silence about sales does make you wonder since I'm sure they would be singing from the rooftops if sales were going well or at least denying the initial sales report. Will be fascinating to see the actual data.

Anyway, here is the Forbes update/weekly summary from yesterday:

FORBES
Galaxy S6 Sales Disaster

While there are no confirmed numbers (and Samsung’s comment is “no comment”), the reporting of the first month of sales on the Galaxy S6 is not what the South Korean manufacturer would have been hoping for. Ten million is not just on the low-end of expectations, it’s crashing through the floor and have a serious effect on the finances of the parent company.

Korean news agency Yonhap reports that it has taken a month for sales of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge to reach 10M. Speaking to Yonhap a ‘high-ranking Samsung official’ confirmed this figure for the first time. Trying to put a positive spin on it the official said: “The sales of the Galaxy S6 series have already surpassed 10 million.”

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
What excuses? Every single article on S6 sales so far are pure speculation because none of them actually have the real figures.

None of us knows until the sales figures are reported by Samsung. Speculation based upon zero facts is pointless. Critics are going to jump on the lack of information as proof positive that Samsung made a mistake. A rush to judgement without the facts serves no purpose.

This post is my opinion and a response to a prior post or series of posts. It is not intended to be sarcastic or judgmental or offensive in any way for those wondering. I am not a paid attorney spokesperson nor am I a Samsung employee but I am the Korean Thor.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Forbes calls S6 sales so far "Disastrous"

Of course, it's speculation until the real numbers come out but Samsung's official silence about sales does make you wonder since I'm sure they would be singing from the rooftops if sales were going well or at least denying the initial sales report....

Anyway, here is the Forbes update/weekly summary from yesterday:
While there are no confirmed numbers (and Samsung’s comment is “no comment”)

It took me a whopping 10 seconds to find out that Samsung's CEO has officially denied sluggish S6 sales.

Rule of thumb: when you read something on the internet take the time to find out the whole story instead of jumping on one side of it. If you ask me to post links you should know I'm just going to link you one of those "let me Google that for you" links. Just saying.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
CEO wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't sound positive on sales. Protecting his job too. But the real tell is confirming that they just recently passed 10 million sales. He couldn't say the 15 million? Not even 11? Also take into account the mention that the s6 is more expensive to make than the s5... Up to $30 more in some cases. Well have to wait until next earnings report to probably get a clearer idea.

Posted via the Android Central App

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
CEO wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't sound positive on sales. Protecting his job too. But the real tell is confirming that they just recently passed 10 million sales. He couldn't say the 15 million? Not even 11? Also take into account the mention that the s6 is more expensive to make than the s5... Up to $30 more in some cases. Well have to wait until next earnings report to probably get a clearer idea.

Posted via the Android Central App
He didn't clarify anything, no I'm not sure what you're getting at

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It's easier to jump to conclusions based upon zero facts that to do the research first and deal with the truth when it comes to products, people or other issues. Until we see the GS6 earned $xx million on xx million units versus the GS5 or GS4 over a comparable time period, rampant speculation is worthless, pointless, serving absolutely no purpose.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I see demand as very high for the S6 and Edge especially Gold which while nice, its not for me. I am not buying the lackluster sales from any pro-apple news outlet.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
It's easier to jump to conclusions based upon zero facts that to do the research first and deal with the truth when it comes to products, people or other issues. Until we see the GS6 earned $xx million on xx million units versus the GS5 or GS4 over a comparable time period, rampant speculation is worthless, pointless, serving absolutely no purpose.

I'm not sure it's fair to say this is based upon "zero facts". As a first day, early adopter and someone who thinks the S6 was the right move for Samsung, I wish it wasn't true but the reports are from Forbes and Business Insider, both very respected business publications. The original source was sales statistics that were gathered by a Korean business newspaper which were subsequently confirmed by a high ranking Samsung official.

Agreed, there is no official sales data from Samsung (and that won't come for a while) but consider that Apple is more than happy a few days into its release to share that they sold a record 10 million iPhone 6's in just the first weekend, well ahead of any official quarterly report. If Samsung's sales were not as concerning as reported, it would seem that Samsung would issue an early release as well regarding how great the S6 is doing but instead, the response is "no comment".

But, perhaps the S6 is a runaway hit and Samsung is just being coy. Hopefully, the picture becomes clearer in short order.

Anyway, here was the Apple press release just 3 days into iPhone 6 sales for comparison to Samsung's silence:

First Weekend iPhone Sales Top 10 Million, Set New Record
CUPERTINO, California—September 22, 2014— Apple® today announced it has sold over 10 million new iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, a new record, just three days after the launch on September 19. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK and will be available in more than 20 additional countries on September 26. The new iPhones will be available in 115 countries by the end of the year.

“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure it's fair to say this is based upon "zero facts". As a first day, early adopter and someone who thinks the S6 was the right move for Samsung, I wish it wasn't true but the reports are from Forbes and Business Week, both very respected business publications. The original source was sales statistics that were gathered by a Korean business newspaper which were subsequently confirmed by a high ranking Samsung official.

Agreed, there is no official sales data from Samsung (and that won't come for a while) but consider that Apple is more than happy a few days into its release to share that they sold a record 10 million iPhone 6's in just the first weekend, well ahead of any official quarterly report. If Samsung's sales were not as concerning as reported, it would seem that Samsung would issue an early release as well regarding how great the S6 is doing but instead, the response is "no comment".

But, perhaps the S6 is a runaway hit and Samsung is just being coy. Hopefully, the picture becomes clearer in short order.

Anyway, here was the Apple press release just 3 days into iPhone 6 sales for comparison to Samsung's silence:

First Weekend iPhone Sales Top 10 Million, Set New Record
CUPERTINO, California—September 22, 2014— Apple® today announced it has sold over 10 million new iPhone® 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, a new record, just three days after the launch on September 19. iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK and will be available in more than 20 additional countries on September 26. The new iPhones will be available in 115 countries by the end of the year.

“Sales for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus exceeded our expectations for the launch weekend, and we couldn’t be happier,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO.

Not questioning whether either publications are reputable but they are unnamed sources quoted by a Korean newspaper. How many times have we seen unnamed sources drive a particular narrative supporting the argument or spin of one side of the discussion. Just because it's in print or on the internet doesn't make it true. Put a name with the information and vet the name and information. Publications should be disinterested, objective third parties instead they have become the bludgeon to crush whoever doesn't agree with them, facts or not.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Forbes is on Apples payroll, so I ignore most of the garbage they write.
I do believe Samsung is selling less than the previous year but it's not because people don't like the S6/Edge.
iPhone 6 and 6+ are putting a little hurt on them (people wanted a big screen iPhone for a LONG time)
But, it's not just iPhone. Android has had some fantastic devices released over the last 2 years and that's just more competition outside just Apple.
People are now buying Motorola, LG, Nexus, Sony, HTC, Huawei, Xiaomi, 1+one etc. Samsung used to be a go to device for android.
Now, there is a LOT more options.
I was never a big fan of samsung. I have actually hated every single device they've released until the Note 4.
I wish more people would give the S6 a try. I bough TWO, an S6 for my dad (after he said he didn't like the iPhone 6+ i got him). And an S6 Edge for me
I work at apple. i love apple products. i have an iPhone 6 as well, but I have to be honest, the S6 Edge is the best device I have ever used.
I have had it 45-ish days now, and I love it more every day. It's perfect (to me). Feels incredible in the hand, not Too big, not too small.

Anyways... S6 Edge is awesome. I have now seen several people with them out in the wild.
I hope Samsung doesn't change it too much on S7 because I LOVE this phone.
My iPhone collects dust. I use the S6 even at Apple.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Forbes is on Apples payroll, so I ignore most of the garbage they write.
I do believe Samsung is selling less than the previous year but it's not because people don't like the S6/Edge.
iPhone 6 and 6+ are putting a little hurt on them (people wanted a big screen iPhone for a LONG time)
But, it's not just iPhone. Android has had some fantastic devices released over the last 2 years and that's just more competition outside just Apple.
People are now buying Motorola, LG, Nexus, Sony, HTC, Huawei, Xiaomi, 1+one etc. Samsung used to be a go to device for android.
Now, there is a LOT more options.
I was never a big fan of samsung. I have actually hated every single device they've released until the Note 4.
I wish more people would give the S6 a try. I bough TWO, an S6 for my dad (after he said he didn't like the iPhone 6+ i got him). And an S6 Edge for me
I work at apple. i love apple products. i have an iPhone 6 as well, but I have to be honest, the S6 Edge is the best device I have ever used.
I have had it 45-ish days now, and I love it more every day. It's perfect (to me). Feels incredible in the hand, not Too big, not too small.

Anyways... S6 Edge is awesome. I have now seen several people with them out in the wild.
I hope Samsung doesn't change it too much on S7 because I LOVE this phone.
My iPhone collects dust. I use the S6 even at Apple.
I admire you for having the courage to use what works best for you in spite of where you,work.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Samsung CEO denies Galaxy Note 5 July launch rumors - GSMArena.com news

"He said the Galaxy S6 is doing great on the market, its sales have recently surpassed the 10 million units milestone."

We'll get numbers in another quarter and we'll find out how S6 sales are going. Until then I'm just discussing/speculating just like everyone else on this thread.

Even that is unusual though, because previously, Samsung would come out after the first month of the Galaxy S sales and announce their first month sales.

With the S4 they came out and announced 10 million sales in less than a month: About Samsung - Samsung

The S4 was released on April 27 and by May 23 (less than a full month) they come out with a press release stating the 10 million sales, which is great.

Then the S5 is released on April 11 and on May 14 Samsung make the statement that they've sold 11 million units: Samsung Says New Galaxy S5 Smartphone Is Off to a Strong Start - WSJ

The S6 came out on April 10, it's now May 23 and we haven't had any official word on the sales? Something weird here. Samsung is typically not shy about revealing first month sales.

Maybe they're just delaying the news, or maybe the sales aren't what they were expecting.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Even that is unusual though, because previously, Samsung would come out after the first month of the Galaxy S sales and announce their first month sales.

With the S4 they came out and announced 10 million sales in less than a month: About Samsung - Samsung

The S4 was released on April 27 and by May 23 (less than a full month) they come out with a press release stating the 10 million sales, which is great.

Then the S5 is released on April 11 and on May 14 Samsung make the statement that they've sold 11 million units: Samsung Says New Galaxy S5 Smartphone Is Off to a Strong Start - WSJ

The S6 came out on April 10, it's now May 23 and we haven't had any official word on the sales? Something weird here. Samsung is typically not shy about revealing first month sales.

Maybe they're just delaying the news, or maybe the sales aren't what they were expecting.
Still speculating, though not unlikely. Even if sales are behind, last year, it doesn't mean that the redesign was a bad decision. In the long run, the new direction will,pay off. Unlike previous version, two differentiating features were excluded and a number of improvements were added in their place. Could it also be that having to roll out patches and possibly working on the upcoming updates to address the issues plaguing the GS6 have more priority?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone 6S is going to sell 73 million units the first quarter it is released this year like it did last year either. Not to say 60 or 70 million will be anything to sneeze at but they would need to sell 90 million to stay at the same trajectory and I don't see it. There is just a lull in the industry right now. People with 2014 phones are satisfied with their performance and skipping this generation. 2015 phones so far have been plagued with SOC, OS and battery life issues so there just isn't that sustained excitement or buzz. I see a flat year in general for 2015 smartphones for the big players with perhaps some smaller Chinese brands gaining some traction.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the iPhone 6S is going to sell 73 million units the first quarter it is released this year like it did last year either. Not to say 60 or 70 million will be anything to sneeze at but they would need to sell 90 million to stay at the same trajectory and I don't see it. There is just a lull in the industry right now. People with 2014 phones are satisfied with their performance and skipping this generation. 2015 phones so far have been plagued with SOC, OS and battery life issues so there just isn't that sustained excitement or buzz. I see a flat year in general for 2015 smartphones for the big players with perhaps some smaller Chinese brands gaining some traction.
Big box retailers like Best Buy offers gift cards to entice preorders. LG is giving away or including a spare battery and sd card. To your point, there are a lot of choices and consumers while trying to find choices that they have been loyal to in the past have a ton of choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC