05-29-2015 03:19 AM
83 1234
tools
    Samsung and LG are HUGE and all over the tech industry. Mobile is important and Sony shows what happens when it isn't going well, but Samsung companies is in no danger from anything Apple or Lenovo or LG can do at their best. Sammy is in defense, software, chips, satellites, screens, laptops, televisions, video arts, cameras, vehicles, appliances and usually every device you get has something made by them. Not true for any other major player in the industry.

Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Android Central Moderator.
    Laura Knotek and racedog like this.
    05-27-2015 10:06 PM
    Samsung and LG are HUGE and all over the tech industry. Mobile is important and Sony shows what happens when it isn't going well, but Samsung companies is in no danger from anything Apple or Lenovo or LG can do at their best. Sammy is in defense, software, chips, satellites, screens, laptops, televisions, video arts, cameras, vehicles, appliances and usually every device you get has something made by them. Not true for any other major player in the industry.

Samsung is definitely the most diversified. LG is second. Sony is the least diversified of the three.
    05-27-2015 10:13 PM
    PlayStation 4 is better than all Samsung products put together πŸ‘½πŸΈβ›΅πŸš€πŸΊπŸΌπŸ˜“πŸ‘ŒπŸΉ lol (IMO)

05-27-2015 10:14 PM
    Investors want year over year revenue and profits, not units moved. Are the new Samsung's but the just expensive and profitable yet?

That's the issue...Samsung's mobile division profits dropped 57% in the last quarter due to poor S5 sales (in China alone Samsung went from 20 million in sales to 9.6 million). Samsung clearly needs the S6 to be an out of the park hit to recover from the S5 which sold far fewer phones (40% fewer) than the S4 before it.
    05-27-2015 10:23 PM
    That's the issue...Samsung's mobile division profits dropped 57% in the last quarter due to poor S5 sales (in China alone Samsung went from 20 million in sales to 9.6 million). Samsung clearly needs the S6 to be an out of the park hit to recover from the S5 which sold far fewer phones (40% fewer) than the S4 before it.
    One device isn't the game. The note is growing in popularity and Samsung has started cutting down the number of crappy budget devices they pour upon the world. Obviously that has an impact.

05-27-2015 10:26 PM
    This is funny because I have very little interest in Samsung and no interest in their phones, but sounds like I'm defending them. What I'm trying to say is that this Forbes article is FUD, and Samsung has no need or obligation to answer to their absurd claims.

Laura Knotek and tpence2177 like this.
    05-27-2015 10:28 PM
    I consider the Note their flagship at this point. That phone seem like their no compromise phone compared to the S6 with 2500mah battery, no sd slot and iphone looks. nothing wrong with iphone looks but you want a flagship thats stands out from the rest, you don't even faintly look like your competitors. Thats a sign of caving in. The Note stands out from the rest. If they make the Note 5 look like an overgrown 6+ that would be terrible.

One device isn't the game. The note is growing in popularity and Samsung has started cutting down the number of crappy budget devices they pour upon the world. Obviously that has an impact.

05-27-2015 10:54 PM
    It's because you can't sell an Android phone with hardware specs alone that rival or best the iphones without being able to sell the UI that goes with it.

Every manufacturer customizes its Android with their own version of every basic app from email to camera, calendar to browser and even it's gallery and they all work differently. Even the Settings app is different from phone to phone where the brightness and volume controls can be in completely different locations from one phone to another. On top of that you have the manufacturers loading their own bloat on top of Android. And then on top of that you have the carriers adding their own bloat... like AT&T having a browser bar on top of my LG Internet browser :/ Its worse than OS fragmentation IMO.

You really have to be on top of your Android game to show a person each phone and, when asked, show them where the email or gallery app is and how to use it without fumbling and showing them how even a sales rep can have a hard time navigating through a phone and blow your sale. You show them an iPhone where a 3 year old can figure out the UI and the sale is made.

IMO, Google should force a pure android UI on all phones from all manufactures and carriers so that the user can have the same experience with Android the first time out of box and make it as basic as an iphone layout.

Then they can show them the magic of Android and offer their own versions of apps or alternative UIs like TW or Sense that they can download exclusively from their own app store or on google play and explore on their own from that point if they want to be all techy and different from the i-crowd or they can stay with the basic if they want plain jane.

For me the dealmaker going from iphone 4s to Android was having a pure Android experience with a Nexus 4. No bloat. From there I learned to love Android and move on to a LG G2 then a G3 being able to overlook the UI for hardware features.

But ask a sales rep about some features of an m9 or the motoX, and they just cringe at the thought of having to demonstrate the items. It's like they are lost and have no idea what they are talking about.
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    05-27-2015 10:56 PM
    Sales drive revenue and profits though, so it's an important metric.

And if the sales aren't exactly what they're expecting, I could understand why Samsung are shying away from revealing the first month sales.
    Samsung has never revealed it's sells figures that's been left up to the tech sites to speculate and to throw out headline grabbers . If you notice it wasn't samsung that said the s5 was a flop the media did . What we know is that there profits where down from the year before . Which may are may not be contributed by them having to cut prices to move products . Because that fact is they still sold hundreds of millions of phones . Most experts believe the s5 sells only looked lower because samsung up the products of the 5 by 20% over the 4 which means that they would have to sell 14 million more s5 . By my math looks like the s5 was hardly a flop . Now with the higher margins of profits that the s6 should generate because a 128 gig edge is $900 all they have to do is 50 million and the share holders will be dancing in the streets . Now for all you Samsung haters just hoping for their demise they're not going anywhere soon

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-28-2015 02:22 AM
    Samsung has never revealed it's sells figures that's been left up to the tech sites to speculate and to throw out headline grabbers . If you notice it wasn't samsung that said the s5 was a flop the media did . What we know is that there profits where down from the year before . Which may are may not be contributed by them having to cut prices to move products . Because that fact is they still sold hundreds of millions of phones . Most experts believe the s5 sells only looked lower because samsung up the products of the 5 by 20% over the 4 which means that they would have to sell 14 million more s5 . By my math looks like the s5 was hardly a flop . Now with the higher margins of profits that the s6 should generate because a 128 gig edge is $900 all they have to do is 50 million and the share holders will be dancing in the streets . Now for all you Samsung haters just hoping for their demise they're not going anywhere soon

Not true.

From Samsung themselves, 10 million Galaxy S4's in the first month: http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=MKrfq7KO

J.K. Shin tells WSJ the S5 sold 11 million in the first month: http://www.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1...434884250.html

So they have in the past officially stated sales either through their own publication or through credible news outlets like the Wall Street Journal. So its not like the figures are completely made up.

Also, a very minor percent would be purchasing the S6/S6E outright. The majority of consumers would be getting them on plans, so they wouldn't be making those monstrous profits that you're thinking just on outright sales. Most of the money is from sales on plans. Yes they still sold a truck load of Galaxy S5's, but if they sold less S5's than they did S4's then that would not be good for Samsung.

Another problem is on the low and mid-range phones where Chinese OEM's are rapidly starting to come up and are eating into Samsung's sales as well. So if the high end phones aren't selling as well as they'd like and the low end phone sales are being encroached by other OEM's, it's got to hurt Samsung. Is it doom and gloom for Samsung? No, of course not. Not yet anyway. But now is when they need to identify the issues and correct them otherwise soon enough losing profits quarter on quarter and will end up being posting losses. That's not a position any company wants to be in.

The question remains though, if they were so enthusiastic with revealing the Galaxy S4 and S5 first month sales, why haven't they come out with the first month Galaxy S6/6E sales?

Sent from my SM-G920I
    Zoostation likes this.
    05-28-2015 03:01 AM
    The battery is a non-issue. I own the S6 and the battery will easily last a work day. I have a fast charger in my car which cost $10 on Amazon that charges the phone to about 40%-50% capacity in 30 minutes. The included Samsung quick charger charges the phone from 5% to 100% in about an hour and 15 minutes or so. So if I start with a fully charged phone in the morning, my drive time home recharges the S6 to 60% or more by the time I reach home. So unless you are of in the woods somewhere, the batter is never an issue.

Further, Samsung charges only $45.00 to replace the batter which is a smoking deal. So if the S6 battery wears out, it's not a huge problem.

The S6 is the best phone out there right now. It is really better than the iPhone in many ways and I have owned three iPhones.
    05-28-2015 04:30 AM
    Nowhere in that article does Samsung state the official sales numbers. Saying something isn't true holds no weight if you don't counter it with quantifiable proof. The reality is, if the S6 were selling strongly Samsung would have already made the proud announcement. And Samsung is renowned for letting every corner of the world know when they have a hit.
    The rising swell of tech and business sites is growing every day, all throwing out the 10 million sales number and all Samsung and its apologists can say is "That's not true?" on what day of the week is that sufficient proof?
    By the way, the Samsung Galaxy S6, only a month in, is $50 off at Verizon. Don't know if that's industry wide, but Verizon is the largest carrier. Products that move briskly don't see price drops. When have you ever heard of a company refusing to release successful sales data? Especially in the face of growing doubt?
    Samsung has been incredibly quiet regarding the S6. Their silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.
    Based on last year's S5 debacle and the current S6 problems, despite being arguably the most attractive device available and the most tech advanced, looks like to me that Samsung is cycling out of public favor, as every other once dominant OEM has done.
    Last year's plastic S6 with removable battery and expandable memory was a disaster. The current all metal/glass, finger print sensor iPhone aping S6 hasn't been successful. The public hasn't shown a taste for either. The world beating S6 was supposed to revive Samsung's high end business. It didn't happen. What is Samsung to do now?
    Start dropping the price. As embarrassing as that is with bitter arch nemesis Apple certainly taking gleeful notice as its iphone 6 is still going strong.
    05-28-2015 07:01 AM
    Nowhere in that article does Samsung state the official sales numbers. Saying something isn't true holds no weight if you don't counter it with quantifiable proof. The reality is, if the S6 were selling strongly Samsung would have already made the proud announcement. And Samsung is renowned for letting every corner of the world know when they have a hit.
    The rising swell of tech and business sites is growing every day, all throwing out the 10 million sales number and all Samsung and its apologists can say is "That's not true?" on what day of the week is that sufficient proof?
    By the way, the Samsung Galaxy S6, only a month in, is $50 off at Verizon. Don't know if that's industry wide, but Verizon is the largest carrier. Products that move briskly don't see price drops. When have you ever heard of a company refusing to release successful sales data? Especially in the face of growing doubt?
    Samsung has been incredibly quiet regarding the S6. Their silence is deafening. It speaks volumes.
    Based on last year's S5 debacle and the current S6 problems, despite being arguably the most attractive device available and the most tech advanced, looks like to me that Samsung is cycling out of public favor, as every other once dominant OEM has done. The world beating S6 was supposed to revive Samsung's high end business. If the S6 fails to do that, what else is there to do?
    First off why is samsung the only android phone company that for some reason has to prove to you guys how successful they are by how many phones they sell or not cell. And how much money they made from one quarter to the next. You'd think all you guys where stock holders in the company . And why am I willing to bet that most you in a tizzy about Samsung's present financial state . Don't even own the gs6 but you own maybe a htc ,lg ,are moto phones and are so tried of Samsung being the 800 pound gorilla in the room you're scratching for every bit of news that proves their demise. You guys really need to stop wasting so much of your time hating on samsung if you don't like there phones fine buy something that you like and move on . My gs6 works for me and that all that matters

05-28-2015 07:25 AM
    First off why is samsung the only android phone company that for some reason has to prove to you guys how successful they are by how many phones they sell or not cell. And how much money they made from one quarter to the next. You'd think all you guys where stock holders in the company . And why am I willing to bet that most you in a tizzy about Samsung's present financial state . Don't even own the gs6 but you own maybe a htc ,lg ,are moto phones and are so tried of Samsung being the 800 pound gorilla in the room you're scratching for every bit of news that proves their demise. You guys really need to stop wasting so much of your time hating on samsung if you don't like there phones fine buy something that you like and move on . My gs6 works for me and that all that matters

I didn't see anybody hating on Samsung. I was a first day adopter of the S6 on April 1 and am rooting for them but a few things on the S6 (battery life, sometimes wonky fingerprint sensor, frustrating occasional lag) make me question if Samsung is really ready to sell a nearly $1000.00 phone (that's what I paid for my 128GB edge).

IF sales are slow (and we don't really know yet) then it's an indication that Samsung may have some issues on its hand that need to be addressed like getting the S6 right (I've been waiting patiently for 2 months now) and making the S7 more acceptable to consumers. That's a legitimate conversation.

And, the fact that Samsung is suspiciously silent nearly 2 months into sales, is something to wonder about. Apple (like any successful company) has no problem shouting to the world that they sold over 10 million iPhone 6's in one weekend. That helped to create momentum for them for over 70 million iPhone sales in a single quarter. Samsung's silence stands in stark contrast to this and just creates suspicion as noted by other publications - http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...mmunicati.aspx
    05-28-2015 08:06 AM
    I didn't see anybody hating on Samsung. I was a first day adopter of the S6 on April 1 and am rooting for them but a few things on the S6 (battery life, sometimes wonky fingerprint sensor, frustrating occasional lag) make me question if Samsung is really ready to sell a nearly $1000.00 phone (that's what I paid for my 128GB edge).

IF sales are slow (and we don't really know yet) then it's an indication that Samsung may have some issues on its hand that need to be addressed like getting the S6 right (I've been waiting patiently for 2 months now) and making the S7 more acceptable to consumers. That's a legitimate conversation.

And, the fact that Samsung is suspiciously silent nearly 2 months into sales, is something to wonder about. Apple (like any successful company) has no problem shouting to the world that they sold over 10 million iPhone 6's in one weekend. That helped to create momentum for them for over 70 million iPhone sales in a single quarter. Samsung's silence stands in stark contrast to this and just creates suspicion as noted by other publications - Memo to Samsung: Improve Your Corporate Communication (SSNLF)
    In 2014 Samsung moved approximately 308 million devices, while Apple moved about 191 million. Samsung tends to average between 70 and 85 million per quarter, while Apple spikes up once a year to 50-60 (this year around 75 million) and is usually closer 25 - 40. So three quarters of the year, Samsung is 2-3 times larger in shipments and once per year they're only equivalent. Apple is still growing in volume, but Samsung is still holding steady, at least on an annual basis. Having two major releases per year ~ 6 months apart helps regularity a bit, but does inhibit some from buying one or the other.
    05-28-2015 11:13 AM
    In 2014 Samsung moved approximately 308 million devices, while Apple moved about 191 million. Samsung tends to average between 70 and 85 million per quarter, while Apple spikes up once a year to 50-60 (this year around 75 million) and is usually closer 25 - 40. So three quarters of the year, Samsung is 2-3 times larger in shipments and once per year they're only equivalent. Apple is still growing in volume, but Samsung is still holding steady, at least on an annual basis. Having two major releases per year ~ 6 months apart helps regularity a bit, but does inhibit some from buying one or the other.
    Are you only including the galaxy line Samsung makes a lot more models of smartphones and tablets then Apple

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    05-28-2015 11:29 AM

It really isn't that big a deal what these guys use and why they're harping on Samsung.
    donm527#IM likes this.
    05-28-2015 01:52 PM
    As soon as the Note 4 and Note Edge came out, I started seeing them at work and roundabout. Also with the S5.
    But I have yet to see an S6.
    Amazon shows the sales as being way down. And both Verizon and Amazon show most review complaints with horrible battery life.
    So, it's not a big surprise the sales are down.
    I see S5's, Note 3's and iPhones all day long (in IT areas), but no Note 4's or S6's.

berdinkerdickle likes this.
    05-28-2015 01:57 PM
    Very good points, but Samsung's sales are declining pretty fast (50% decline y/y in China alone) and Apple's are growing immensely. Samsung managed to move 10 million fewer phones in 2014 vs 2013 in a market that grew by nearly 90 million phone sales (Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014). Apple's sales increased 50% (25 million iPhones) in the same year.

Pretty surprising is that the last reported quarter actually had Apple selling more volume than Samsung - 74.8 million phones vs 73 million. A year ago, Samsung was more than double Apple's sales - Apple Crowned King Of Smartphone Market, Sells More Than Samsung In Q4 2014 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Also, consider that most of Samsung's sales are low-mid priced phones around the world (average selling price $247) while Apple sells one very high priced product line (average selling price $687). Samsung's profits plunged 64.2% in the last reported quarter vs Apple having it's biggest profit quarter in history ($24.2 billion), by far, in large part to the iPhone 6 release.

Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

In the end, the way I look at this is that Apple makes 93% of all profits in the cell phone industry. That says much more (at least to me) than how many total units you are moving. I'm no Apple fanboy and have been rooting for Samsung for many years now and have bought many of their products but they clearly need to figure this out. In my humble opinion, it should start with fixing the battery life, fingerprint sensor and lag issues with the S6 to get it back on track and to get people talking nicely about it.

I paid nearly $1000.00 for my Samsung phone and I expect Samsung to fix the issues and at least act like they care. Just like I expect when I buy an expensive Apple product. If you want to sell $1000.00 phones, you need to really deliver on the customer experience.
    newsman787 likes this.
    05-28-2015 03:06 PM
    I guess I consider myself lucky on the fingerprint scanner issue. Got some help setting it up from a Samsung rep and it works well for me.
    05-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Very good points, but Samsung's sales are declining pretty fast (50% decline y/y in China alone) and Apple's are growing immensely. Samsung managed to move 10 million fewer phones in 2014 vs 2013 in a market that grew by nearly 90 million phone sales (Gartner Says Smartphone Sales Surpassed One Billion Units in 2014). Apple's sales increased 50% (25 million iPhones) in the same year.

Pretty surprising is that the last reported quarter actually had Apple selling more volume than Samsung - 74.8 million phones vs 73 million. A year ago, Samsung was more than double Apple's sales - Apple Crowned King Of Smartphone Market, Sells More Than Samsung In Q4 2014 : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Also, consider that most of Samsung's sales are low-mid priced phones around the world (average selling price $247) while Apple sells one very high priced product line (average selling price $687). Samsung's profits plunged 64.2% in the last reported quarter vs Apple having it's biggest profit quarter in history ($24.2 billion), by far, in large part to the iPhone 6 release.

Samsung's mobile profits plunge 64.2% after Apple's iPhone 6 devastates premium Galaxy sales

In the end, the way I look at this is that Apple makes 93% of all profits in the cell phone industry. That says much more (at least to me) than how many total units you are moving. I'm no Apple fanboy and have been rooting for Samsung for many years now and have bought many of their products but they clearly need to figure this out. In my humble opinion, it should start with fixing the battery life, fingerprint sensor and lag issues with the S6 to get it back on track and to get people talking nicely about it.

I paid nearly $1000.00 for my Samsung phone and I expect Samsung to fix the issues and at least act like they care. Just like I expect when I buy an expensive Apple product. If you want to sell $1000.00 phones, you need to really deliver on the customer experience.
    The apple spike was to be expected its there first big phone there's a lot of pent up apple iPhone people waiting for this for along time . Now that they've done it the next phone will not be a big deal for there supporters . ,. And let's not forget there biggest gain was China that market is now full . This will be samsung Chance to take back some of there lost customers . They wont go down without a fight . Let's not forget apple is buying Sammy chips and maybe there screen technology to . There's more then one way to skin a cat when your samsung

05-28-2015 04:41 PM

And this my friends is why you never keep a broken phone past the 14 day trial period.

I'm sorry bro, but you may think that your issues are Samsung fault, but you're issues are with T-Mobile and Google. But most of all, you kept a phone that clearly isn't working for you. Take responsibility for that at least. Then if you want, you can plead your case about how your issues aren't related to T-Mobile software that you accepted to use and lollipop bugs, but totally Samsung's fault (specifically battery life). Just remember that your going to also have to explain how the vast majority (95+%) don't have your issues.

Also understand that I'm not arguing with you, just asking you to once again back up your claims. I've been laying off of you with your unfounded rants on the G4 forum, but here, I'm asking politely once again on this thread to put up or step down.

Posted via the zenfone 2
    05-28-2015 04:48 PM
    And this my friends is why you never keep a broken phone past the 14 dayAlso understand that I'm not arguing with you, just asking you to once again back up your claims. I've been laying off of you with your unfounded rants on the G4 forum, but here, I'm asking politely once again on this thread to put up or step down.

Posted via the zenfone 2
    Huh? "Unfounded rants" because I'm sharing my real world 2 month experience with my S6's battery life, which incidentally is shared by many others (including Phil Nickenson who runs Mobile Nations). I thought this was a place for people to share their experiences, both good and bad.

And, "put up" what exactly? I've posted many battery life screenshots. Truly not following you here.
    05-28-2015 04:55 PM
    Huh? "Unfounded rants" because I'm sharing my real world 2 month experience with my S6's battery life, which incidentally is shared by many others (including Phil Nickenson who runs Mobile Nations). I thought this was a place for people to share their experiences, both good and bad.

And, "put up" what exactly? I've posted many battery life screenshots. Truly not following you here.
    I'm not sure why he thinks you owe him an explanation.
    Techno-guy likes this.
    05-28-2015 05:01 PM
    Samsung sold me one. I am happy with mine, so I don't care how many they sold. My last two have been htc ones. Had the G2 - also an excellent phone - and the S3 before that.

05-28-2015 06:12 PM
83 1234