Can I get some help with a question about stock messaging app?

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
question about stock messaging app

I am using the stock messaging app. When I open the text thread for one of my contacts, at the bottom where you would start another text, it says "enter chat msg" and there is a green send button. It just so happens this person is also a gs6 owner. For all my other text threads, it says at the bottom "enter message" with an orange send button. Does anyone know what this difference means? Does samsung automatically use it's chat service when I communicate with another gs6 owner and then just uses regular text messaging for other contacts?

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: question about stock messaging app

I am using the stock messaging app. When I open the text thread for one of my contacts, at the bottom where you would start another text, it says "enter chat msg" and there is a green send button. It just so happens this person is also a gs6 owner. For all my other text threads, it says at the bottom "enter message" with an orange send button. Does anyone know what this difference means? Does samsung automatically use it's chat service when I communicate with another gs6 owner and then just uses regular text messaging for other contacts?

Follow up question: I am now having trouble sending messages to that contact. It seems it's trying to send a "chat" by default. And it keeps failing. Anyone know how I turn that off so that I can just a regular text?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what to tell you, other than letting you know what on my phone using the stock messaging app, I always see "enter message" in the space where I type the message ... and that's for both individual contacts, or in group messages. I don't recall ever seeing "enter chat msg".

I know I'm grasping at straw here, as I'm purely guessing ... but the ONLY thing I can think of to maybe start looking is if you have Google Hangouts still enabled on your phone, or another text messaging app ... and perhaps that contact you're having trouble with is part of a group or whatever in another app, or in google+ ... and it's somehow tying to that and trying to send them a message in a different format than a standard text message.

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

So I've determined that I had "enhanced messaging" turned on in the settings. Because I was messaging another phone that also had it on, it automatically went to a "chat". I think that chat service might be sending messages through wireless, rather than cell like traditional texting. I was having some trouble with other things using that particular wireless network which is why I think the chat was failing to send. All in all, it looks like "enhanced messaging" was messing some things up for me, turning it off seems to have helped. Maybe my lessons learned can help someone else...

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

So I've determined that I had "enhanced messaging" turned on in the settings. Because I was messaging another phone that also had it on, it automatically went to a "chat". I think that chat service might be sending messages through wireless, rather than cell like traditional texting. I was having some trouble with other things using that particular wireless network which is why I think the chat was failing to send. All in all, it looks like "enhanced messaging" was messing some things up for me, turning it off seems to have helped. Maybe my lessons learned can help someone else...

Sounds like you got it figured out ... but I have to ask, where do you find this "enhanced messaging" setting? I don't see that anywhere on my phone. I'm on AT&T, so they may have removed that setting in their version of the OS and app.

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like you got it figured out ... but I have to ask, where do you find this "enhanced messaging" setting? I don't see that anywhere on my phone. I'm on AT&T, so they may have removed that setting in their version of the OS and app.

In the stock messaging app, go to More - Settings, and it's the first thing listed. I'm on Sprint, maybe it's only for certain carriers?

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

In the stock messaging app, go to More - Settings, and it's the first thing listed. I'm on Sprint, maybe it's only for certain carriers?

Not for me ... first thing on my list is "notifications" ... with an on/off toggle.

Screenshot_2015-05-28-11-04-52.png

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Not for me ... first thing on my list is "notifications" ... with an on/off toggle.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m528/wiggum333/Screenshot_2015-05-28-11-04-52.png

Here's mine. Side question: do you have a theme installed? I hate the base orange color if my messaging app, would much prefer your blue-gray color.

I know a 3rd party messaging app allows color customizations but after having my texting issues I want to stay on stock for a while to make sure everything is working properly.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1240.jpg
    1240.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 60

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site

I just wanted to say thank you a hundred times over! I have been wondering for some time now why in the heck some of contacts had "send chat " and others said "message", whew... it was driving me nuts

"It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine."

unica77

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
OMG! I had to register just to say Thank you! This problem has been driving me crazy for a year!! I can't believe it was something so simple!! Thank you so much!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1