My wife just switched over from an iPhone 5c to a Samsung Galaxy S6. Well since I have never owned an IPhone, I didn't know to turn off imessage on her iPhone. I unregistered her iPhone on her iCoud account and then did the text message deactivation that Apple provides. So far she still can't receive messages from other iPhone users. Does the deactivation take some time or is there another process to fix this problem?

Thank you for any help
    05-26-2015 09:21 AM
    I found this: Issues with texts after moving to Android from iPhone? Here's an easy fix! | Android Central

It depends on when you deactivated iMessage. If you switched and then deactivated, it looks like you have to call Apple.
    lynnja232 likes this.
    05-26-2015 09:32 AM
    My sister didn't deactivate iMessage until after she switched from a 4S to an S6 and her SMS and MMS work fine, although that doesn't seem to be the norm.
    05-26-2015 12:27 PM
    Problem is fixed. One long phone call to Apple support fixed the problem. You also can use Apple Chat to fix the problem. I'm guessing both ways will take some time. Mine took about an hour.

Thanks for the help
    05-26-2015 12:38 PM
    Another thing Apple uses to trap people in their ecosystem. Smh.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-26-2015 01:13 PM
    Another thing Apple uses to trap people in their ecosystem. Smh.

LOL not much of a trap when all you have to do is make a phone call or live-chat a tech and tell them to turn that imessage stuff off. But yes, I do agree with you in concept, and it's a bit of a pain to deal with, especially if you are one of the great unwashed who wouldn't even know it's an issue in the first place.
    05-26-2015 01:30 PM
    This whole issue can be solves simply by going here.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage
    05-26-2015 03:07 PM
    LOL, what a clown! Have you ever used iMessage? Do you know anything about it? It's far superior to anything that Android has come up with yet in the messaging world.
    I can't speak for DSMpowerhousegroup, but I think he meant that the "trap" was the issue with getting the iMessage feature thing turned off so that your text messages would work fine on your android phone ... I don't think he meant that iMessage itself is some kind of trap or novelty ...

on that note ... I agree that iMessage is a wonderful thing. Having a "texting app" built into your phone that doesn't require a cellular network, seamlessly integrated into your text message system ... that's way cool. It's too bad it's only on iOS devices though.

My personal opinion though, I wish everyone would just start using skype or something like that, so we could all text over wifi or cellular networks, and you could receive it on your phone, tablet, pc, etc... whatever device you're currently holding in your hand. Groups, individuals, calls, video calls, ability to send pictures and/or files, etc. It's all there, and it's free unless you need their paid service for having skype be your actual phone line.

Not saying skype is "the shizz" ... just saying a system LIKE that, if everyone would use it across all platforms/ecosystems ... could make regular texting obsolete.

EDIT TO ADD: Unfortunately, in a way, I think there are WAY too many messaging programs/apps out there now ... Texting, skype, facebook messenger, imessage, hangouts, google messenger, blackberry messenger, yahoo messenger, etc. The list goes on and on for days. All I'm really saying above is, it would be AMAZING if someone had a singular app for texting/group texting/etc that ran on wifi or cellular, and was on all phones ... and had a nice, simple, clean interface that was acceptable to pretty much everyone. Then you wouldn't need to "text" anymore, and it would be able to include people with non-cellular devices (ie: people without phones, like my kids - which is why I use skype, so they can call/text me when on wifi, even though they don't have a "phone")
    05-26-2015 03:08 PM
    I can't speak for DSMpowerhousegroup, but I think he meant that the "trap" was the issue with getting the iMessage feature thing turned off so that your text messages would work fine on your android phone ... I don't think he meant that iMessage itself is some kind of trap or novelty ...

on that note ... I agree that iMessage is a wonderful thing. Having a "texting app" built into your phone that doesn't require a cellular network, seamlessly integrated into your text message system ... that's way cool. It's too bad it's only on iOS devices though.

My personal opinion though, I wish everyone would just start using skype or something like that, so we could all text over wifi or cellular networks, and you could receive it on your phone, tablet, pc, etc... whatever device you're currently holding in your hand. Groups, individuals, calls, video calls, ability to send pictures and/or files, etc. It's all there, and it's free unless you need their paid service for having skype be your actual phone line.

Not saying skype is "the shizz" ... just saying a system LIKE that, if everyone would use it across all platforms/ecosystems ... could make regular texting obsolete.

EDIT TO ADD: Unfortunately, in a way, I think there are WAY too many messaging programs/apps out there now ... Texting, skype, facebook messenger, imessage, hangouts, google messenger, blackberry messenger, yahoo messenger, etc. The list goes on and on for days. All I'm really saying above is, it would be AMAZING if someone had a singular app for texting/group texting/etc that ran on wifi or cellular, and was on all phones ... and had a nice, simple, clean interface that was acceptable to pretty much everyone. Then you wouldn't need to "text" anymore, and it would be able to include people with non-cellular devices (ie: people without phones, like my kids - which is why I use skype, so they can call/text me when on wifi, even though they don't have a "phone")
    It would have to be customizable to a certain extent. As of right now, you cant even change the back ground, bubbles, colors, or nothing on an iPhone. It doesn't have to be so cluttered with a million options, but something to make it "your own". That's why I steer clear of apple. The inability to make it your own. I do however, like the simplicity of iOS and how it just "mostly works". It's a good phone, but it's also just a placeholder for apps.

And yes, I own an iPhone 5s and 6 incase anyone was/is wondering.
    05-26-2015 03:42 PM
    It would have to be customizable to a certain extent. As of right now, you cant even change the back ground, bubbles, colors, or nothing on an iPhone. It doesn't have to be so cluttered with a million options, but something to make it "your own". That's why I steer clear of apple. The inability to make it your own. I do however, like the simplicity of iOS and how it just "mostly works". It's a good phone, but it's also just a placeholder for apps.

And yes, I own an iPhone 5s and 6 incase anyone was/is wondering.
    I'm a pretty particular person, and "anal-retentive" about a LOT of things ... there are some aspects of how I use my phone that I pretty much feel like I have to make it "my own" ... however, there are plenty of things about my phone that I just want to "work", and to not be hideously ugly or cluttered.

I totally respect those who feel like they need to be able to customize pretty much everything, even if it's just for the sake of being different ... but at the same time, I'm more than ok with well thought out apps that just work, and don't fall into the "hideous looking" category.

That's what I'm getting at with the "universal messaging app" dream I have. Just put something out there that works ... and is not hard on the eyes ... and has all the "basic" features. Heck, even just put the most basic of features in there to make it usable to start with. At least then you could message someone and tell them to call you ... or to hit a link to a photo you've uploaded to photobucket or your google drive, etc. Point would be, and is, you could at least contact people while they are using any device, as long as they had some kind of connection to wifi or cellular networks (which has to happen now anyway, for data sending/receiving).
    05-26-2015 03:51 PM
    I'm a pretty particular person, and "anal-retentive" about a LOT of things ... there are some aspects of how I use my phone that I pretty much feel like I have to make it "my own" ... however, there are plenty of things about my phone that I just want to "work", and to not be hideously ugly or cluttered.

I totally respect those who feel like they need to be able to customize pretty much everything, even if it's just for the sake of being different ... but at the same time, I'm more than ok with well thought out apps that just work, and don't fall into the "hideous looking" category.

That's what I'm getting at with the "universal messaging app" dream I have. Just put something out there that works ... and is not hard on the eyes ... and has all the "basic" features. Heck, even just put the most basic of features in there to make it usable to start with. At least then you could message someone and tell them to call you ... or to hit a link to a photo you've uploaded to photobucket or your google drive, etc. Point would be, and is, you could at least contact people while they are using any device, as long as they had some kind of connection to wifi or cellular networks (which has to happen now anyway, for data sending/receiving).
    Well of coarse it would have to work. And work good at that. I agree with your dream though at it's well thought out!

But that's the thing about being able to customize to your liking. You can make it as simple or as hideous as you wish. Sure, iPhone's messaging app works and works good. But it's the same as everyone else's. I'm not talking about being able to customize it 10 ways to Sunday, just able to make it your own.

05-26-2015 04:37 PM
    Well of coarse it would have to work. And work good at that. I agree with your dream though at it's well thought out!

But that's the thing about being able to customize to your liking. You can make it as simple or as hideous as you wish. Sure, iPhone's messaging app works and works good. But it's the same as everyone else's. I'm not talking about being able to customize it 10 ways to Sunday, just able to make it your own.

I can't/won't argue with anything you've said there. I just try to look at things with a perspective of such that everything comes with pros/cons, and that a lot of times you may have to give up a little of this, to get a little of that ... if you know what I mean. I would rather give up a little customization in my messaging app in order to know that it was pretty much the only app I'd need to use to get in touch with anyone, anytime, regardless.

Heck, I use skype a good bit, and it can't be customized at all. But the fact that it "just works" and allows me to chat/talk/video/share files/photos with my kids who do not have phones, is a WONDERFUL thing ... and I wouldn't trade the ability to customize it for that kind of access it gives me. Would I like to be able to change the colors/look/feel of skype to suit me better? Sure ... but is there anything wrong with it now that hinders my ability to make good use of it? Not at all.

We already compromise a LOT on lots of things with our android phones whether we realize it or not ... right now, I can't change my menu colors except with themes, and even then I don't care for any of them ... I just have to use the "lesser of all available evils" right now ... I also can't make my quick-toggle bar in my pull-down shade scroll through ALL toggles ... I only get two rows, like everyone else. While we have a choice of apps, we can't really customize a lot of them within the app ...we just use them as-is. I guess all I'm saying is - and this is obviously my own personal taste here - that to me, as much as I love to customize things to my own liking ... I think form follows function ... and a great looking, less functional app/solution is never going to appeal to me as much as a not-as-great looking app w/ amazing function.
    05-26-2015 04:46 PM
    I can't/won't argue with anything you've said there. I just try to look at things with a perspective of such that everything comes with pros/cons, and that a lot of times you may have to give up a little of this, to get a little of that ... if you know what I mean. I would rather give up a little customization in my messaging app in order to know that it was pretty much the only app I'd need to use to get in touch with anyone, anytime, regardless.

Heck, I use skype a good bit, and it can't be customized at all. But the fact that it "just works" and allows me to chat/talk/video/share files/photos with my kids who do not have phones, is a WONDERFUL thing ... and I wouldn't trade the ability to customize it for that kind of access it gives me. Would I like to be able to change the colors/look/feel of skype to suit me better? Sure ... but is there anything wrong with it now that hinders my ability to make good use of it? Not at all.

We already compromise a LOT on lots of things with our android phones whether we realize it or not ... right now, I can't change my menu colors except with themes, and even then I don't care for any of them ... I just have to use the "lesser of all available evils" right now ... I also can't make my quick-toggle bar in my pull-down shade scroll through ALL toggles ... I only get two rows, like everyone else. While we have a choice of apps, we can't really customize a lot of them within the app ...we just use them as-is. I guess all I'm saying is - and this is obviously my own personal taste here - that to me, as much as I love to customize things to my own liking ... I think form follows function ... and a great looking, less functional app/solution is never going to appeal to me as much as a not-as-great looking app w/ amazing function.
    I can't or won't argue with what you just wrote either! Well said!

05-26-2015 05:59 PM
    yes I have heard that works for most people. My Wife and I tried that and waited 24 hours and still was not able to receive messages from iPhone users. Once we called Apple support, they were able to fix the problem. They never said what the problem was. I guess I should of asked. Other than that customer service was great. No complaints there.
    Happy wife = happy life.
    05-27-2015 10:23 AM