Using the stock Messaging app on the S6 allows you to set notification SOUND of your choice - globally ... but no longer has the ability to set a custom vibration pattern. Also, you USED to be able to set unique notification sounds per individual or contact group ... but that's now missing too.

My question is, using a third-party messaging app, are these things possible? If so, which texting app (Chomp, etc.) is the way to go so that you can set up unique sounds/vibrations for individuals or groups?

Thanks in advance.
    05-26-2015 09:58 AM
    Using the stock Messaging app on the S6 allows you to set notification SOUND of your choice - globally ... but no longer has the ability to set a custom vibration pattern. Also, you USED to be able to set unique notification sounds per individual or contact group ... but that's now missing too.

My question is, using a third-party messaging app, are these things possible? If so, which texting app (Chomp, etc.) is the way to go so that you can set up unique sounds/vibrations for individuals or groups?

Thanks in advance.
    Yep. On ChompSMS (and I'm sure textra) you can hold down on a contact (like here I did this for my brother) you can select "notifications" and then the next menu lets you change whatever you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Text Message Notifications-1432656472885.jpg   Text Message Notifications-1432656480082.jpg  
    Wiggum333 likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:08 AM
    That's good info there, thanks. I see how it works per contact person ... but can you assign that stuff to a contact "group"? Perhaps, even if you have to do a group MMS and then long-press on that group message to pull up the contact group?

Thing is, my wife is in charge of a nursing staff of about 120 nurses ... and she used to have that contact group set up with a unique sound/vibration for texts. If she has to set them all individually, I guess that's how it has to be done ... but if there's an option in Chomp or Textra etc to set that stuff for a contact group, that would be optimal.

Perhaps I'll just have to download one/both of those apps and see what they can do. Thanks again.
    05-26-2015 11:15 AM
    That's good info there, thanks. I see how it works per contact person ... but can you assign that stuff to a contact "group"? Perhaps, even if you have to do a group MMS and then long-press on that group message to pull up the contact group?

Thing is, my wife is in charge of a nursing staff of about 120 nurses ... and she used to have that contact group set up with a unique sound/vibration for texts. If she has to set them all individually, I guess that's how it has to be done ... but if there's an option in Chomp or Textra etc to set that stuff for a contact group, that would be optimal.

Perhaps I'll just have to download one/both of those apps and see what they can do. Thanks again.
    Hm doesn't seem to work with group (I never tried before). That stinks .
    05-26-2015 11:40 AM
    Hm doesn't seem to work with group (I never tried before). That stinks .
    well, phooey!

no use crying over spilled milk ... but this kinda thing makes me wanna slap someone at Samsung for removing such useful features ... I mean, c'mon. It's not like these are the features of the OS or TW or whatever that were "bloating things up" ... removal of the 1-touch dial, 1-touch text message, contact group notifications/vibrations, etc... just makes no sense.

and like I said in other posts ... right now, our S6's are locked down to where the vibration pattern for incoming emails and texts is non-changeable ... you are going to get the quick little double buzz for incoming messages/emails no matter what account or who is texting you, if you want a vibration at all. How on earth could eliminating the ability to edit this and change it be something that has "improved" or "streamlined" the system???
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-26-2015 11:47 AM
    How on earth could eliminating the ability to edit this and change it be something that has "improved" or "streamlined" the system???
    I agree -- it is dumb to remove. If someone doesn't use it .. no harm. For those that use it though it could be extremely useful .. especially if you have a lot of contacts and want some to be noticed right away.
    05-26-2015 12:00 PM
    I have about 800 contacts in my phone right now ... and I have a few groups setup for work, friends, family, etc. Per GROUP, being able to set ringtones for each ... vibrations for each, text notification sounds for each ... differentiate between work/friend/family emails ... All of those things are SO very useful to anyone how prefers them. As you said, having the option there is no big deal, so just leave it. You want everything to feed off the global settings in the phone, fine. But give us the ability - as you did in the past - to customize those things to our liking...

If this keeps up much longer, we are going to have to change the name from Android to Andrapple ... (facepalm)
    05-26-2015 12:11 PM