OneDrive is now my #1 battery drain.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Recently the OneDrive app has consistently been my #1 battery drain. I did not change any settings and I double checked that it is still set to "Upload only while charging". Since pulling my phone off the charger this morning (meaning all cloud syncing would be done and if it wasn't it would stop), OneDrive has used 17% of my battery. I only went into the app to check the settings, and no syncing has occurred since last night. Anyone else seeing this, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing this. I even have OneDrive syncing anytime. Sorry, but I'm not seeing anything different in my OneDrive app.

Maybe you have a file stuck trying to sync? Maybe clear the app cache?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I use it all the time as well. 2% for me. Not bad considering how much I use it IMO.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Recently the OneDrive app has consistently been my #1 battery drain. I did not change any settings and I double checked that it is still set to "Upload only while charging". Since pulling my phone off the charger this morning (meaning all cloud syncing would be done and if it wasn't it would stop), OneDrive has used 17% of my battery. I only went into the app to check the settings, and no syncing has occurred since last night. Anyone else seeing this, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Have you tried restarting the device or force stopping the app?

John Stinson1

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Mine just started doing that today. yesterday it had an issue signing in and wouldnt work all day and now today it is my top battery usage. Let me know if you figure out how to stop it. I will try the restart and force stop but i think i already tried the restart.... we will see what happens. Just checked and my phone has been off charge for about 12 hrs and onedrive is 21% of usage

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I started using OneDrive instead of G+ to auto backup/save pics because G+ auto backup hasn't worked in two weeks.... Needless to say I'm pissed.

Anyway, OneDrive is working for me with no battery drain issues yet. Fingers crossed.

Posted via the Android Central App

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
anyone have any suggestions?

Well, depending upon your needs, do you REALLY need to play "in the cloud?" There are "on the go" USB devices like the Patriot Stellar:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stell...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4452610

And others that don't have onboard memory, but rather will host any size MicroSD card you might want to add, like this:

Micro USB to Micro SD Card Reader | OTGSDCARDRDR | Cirago

Yes, really, you can plug these into your phone's USB port, and it will "see" them and let you work with them as if you just had a MicroSD card plugged into your phone. And since they'll plug into any other MicroSD or normal USB port, they'll plug into all sorts of things you might have. You might give going that route a few thoughts....

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, depending upon your needs, do you REALLY need to play "in the cloud?" There are "on the go" USB devices like the Patriot Stellar:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Stell...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4453542

And others that don't have onboard memory, but rather will host any size MicroSD card you might want to add, like this:

Micro USB to Micro SD Card Reader | OTGSDCARDRDR | Cirago

Yes, really, you can plug these into your phone's USB port, and it will "see" them and let you work with them as if you just had a MicroSD card plugged into your phone. And since they'll plug into any other MicroSD or normal USB port, they'll plug into all sorts of things you might have. You might give going that route a few thoughts....

Appreciate the thoughts, but the convenience of Cloud services synchronizing to all my devices (home PC [which also backs up to a external hard drive], home laptop, work laptop, accessing the data from my tablet, all synchronized seamlessly with no effort on my part) is a huge factor, not to mention the price point of free.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the thoughts, but the convenience of Cloud services synchronizing to all my devices is a huge factor.....

That would be the "depending upon your needs" part I mentioned. ;-)

Though, "free" may not be totally accurate -- obviously, you're spending some considerable amount of battery life to keep it going.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
That would be the "depending upon your needs" part I mentioned. ;-)

Though, "free" may not be totally accurate -- obviously, you're spending some considerable amount of battery life to keep it going.

Point taken. :) I'm obviously fairly needy. LOL. As far as the battery life, that's the point of this thread. I have "Upload only while charging" enabled, meaning battery life shouldn't be a concern. Something changed recently though (I didn't change anything, OneDrive or OS or Samsung), because OneDrive never even showed up in my battery stats, now it's consistently #1 or near the top.

kfroese

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Running about 3% for me. Just behind Android OS at 4% and ahead of Play Services also at 3%. I also have mine set to upload only when charging so I'm not sure what it is doing. Of greater concern to me is that it is the the app using the most mobile data. By a long shot. Already chewed through 97mb of my 500mb quota on its own.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I haven't figured out a fix or workaround. It has been better lately, but still not like it was before. As I mentioned, OneDrive never showed up on my battery stats before. Now it shows up almost daily, and on any given day it can creep up to my #1 drain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith