I've been considering picking up some NFC tags to play with. Stuff like launching driving apps when I get into the car while turning off wifi. That sort of stuff.

In advance of that, I started playing with the Trigger app and, in fact, most of the "profiles" I would want to set up probably don't require an NFC tag. For instance, the OBDII dongle in my car will work as fine trigger for car stuff. However, Trigger tells me that it needs root access to toggle the GPS/Location on or off. That seems a bit unnecessary. Are there work-arounds? I'm leery on rooting this phone as it is a company phone and my first android so I'm not well informed on rooting yet.

Has anyone tried toggling location on or off with Samsung's TecTiles app? Does it suffer the same issue?

Thanks!
    05-27-2015 02:19 PM
    I have the other type of nfc tags and they work fine with trigger. They are not the tectiles and I thought they were a different standard. I got them for my nexus 5 years ago and thought they were different from what Samsung using at the time. Has Samsung changed the nfc tag type?

I seem to recall that you cannot toggle gps but can toggle navigation. With voice commands you can launch maps as well.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!
    05-27-2015 08:36 PM
    I don't think Samsung has changed NFC tags. They just produce their own now and have an in-house app that works with them. I noted yesterday that Google Maps can turn on location (if off) so perhaps having the connection to my OBD launch GMaps would be one way to get location turned on. Although I'll look into what happens toggling navigation. Thanks for that idea.
    05-28-2015 09:29 AM