06-26-2015 11:40 PM
78 1234
tools
    By any chance does anyone know why when I change the locating method to "GPS only" it goes back to high accuracy when I turn off the GPS? No matter how many times I change the setting it keeps reverting back to high accuracy when I turn off the location

Posted via the Android Central App
    That's just the way they built it to work. Mine does same thing. Can't do anything to change it that I know of. It's annoying to say the least.
    06-07-2015 04:46 PM
    By any chance does anyone know why when I change the locating method to "GPS only" it goes back to high accuracy when I turn off the GPS? No matter how many times I change the setting it keeps reverting back to high accuracy when I turn off the location

That's by default.
    06-07-2015 04:58 PM
    Well that sucks -__- does leaving my location on drain the battery? I would prefer leaving it on instead of turning it on every time I need to use google maps

06-07-2015 06:33 PM
    Well that sucks -__- does leaving my location on drain the battery? I would prefer leaving it on instead of turning it on every time I need to use google maps

Why turn location off? Leave it on and leave it on high accuracy mode, just turn off history. History is what kills battery life.

SlamTheDoor likes this.
    06-07-2015 07:40 PM
    I just always assumed if I left it on that it would use the battery by constantly searching where I am or something. I do have the location history off though. Thanks

06-07-2015 08:41 PM
    Why turn location off? Leave it on and leave it on high accuracy mode, just turn off history. History is what kills battery life.

Probably stupid question but if I have location off it don't matter if history is on or off until i turn location on right.?
    06-07-2015 09:22 PM
    Probably stupid question but if I have location off it don't matter if history is on or off until i turn location on right.?
    Right.
    player22 likes this.
    06-07-2015 09:48 PM
    My battery from today... I'm pleased with the battery on the S6.
    Attached Thumbnails Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433736969037.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433736978304.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433736986743.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433737000147.jpg  
    06-07-2015 11:16 PM
    Location reporting is now incorporated into Location History, Google changed that last month, so now your Location (GPS) will be your biggest offender, even greater than Display.

If you have your location on just for weather (like a lot of people I know) I will tell you that you don't need that to get your local city or cities syncing, just go to your Weather widget settings and turn off the Location option and just enter manually your city or cities.

If you use Location for Google maps or other apps that you use just some times, use the quick toggles to turn on and off the location before and after you use it. Also, you can use any of the other options there like Power saving mode (Network and cell data only) or only GPS, both of them will use less battery than the High accuracy one. In addition to this if you don't use Google Now (Location cards) then use the preferred location settings but go to Location history settings and turn it off, this is the one that is causing the issue as Location reporting is linked now to Location history, pinging your location ALL the time.

If you want to use your location at full throttle and not using Quick toggles or any of the above suggestions, then sorry, but this is the way it is for now, until Google decides to do another change in the Location History settings.
    After turning off location and doing all the tweaking here are the screens shots (this is overnight wasn't using the phone at all).am really frustrated with this thing of a phone (coming from HTC ONE E8 which easily lasts me 18 hrs everything the same )

Attached Thumbnails Post Your Best Battery Performance-7621.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-7620.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-7619.jpg  
    06-08-2015 12:30 AM
    After turning off location and doing all the tweaking here are the screens shots (this is overnight wasn't using the phone at all).am really frustrated with this thing of a phone (coming from HTC ONE E8 which easily lasts me 18 hrs everything the same )

Are you sure you turned off GPS (Location)? It's still there at the top, if you did, get a replacement.
    06-08-2015 08:02 AM
    Yes I did erasat.. Settings.. Privacy & safety.. Location off.. Ya right Maybe I should replace this unit

06-08-2015 09:18 AM
    Today has been my best battery life by far since I got my phone. This phone has been like night and day since switching from 3g to 4g coverage
    Attached Thumbnails Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433774175052.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1433774185111.jpg  
    06-08-2015 09:36 AM
    After turning off location and doing all the tweaking here are the screens shots (this is overnight wasn't using the phone at all).am really frustrated with this thing of a phone
    That "held awake" time is too high. Something is keeping the phone busy; it doesn't sleep.

Click on 'phone radio' in GSam; is there a lot of data use too?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    06-08-2015 09:02 PM
    Google Now is turned 'off', and my location is usually off, but I toggle it on when I need it.

I read somewhere where a guy flashed another country's firmware, and he claims it solved all his issues. I'm currently on Australian firmware and I'm curious to know if all Australian devices have similar battery trouble.

dreaming of electric sheep
    I'm from Australia and my battery life is pretty [language removed]. I don't think it's Samsung's fault, it's on Google this time!

Posted via the Android Central App with the amazing Galaxy S6
    06-09-2015 02:52 AM
    That "held awake" time is too high. Something is keeping the phone busy; it doesn't sleep.

Click on 'phone radio' in GSam; is there a lot of data use too?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Hey slamdoor. I have finally decided to format the goddamn thing (yes hard reset) haven't put email accounts back yet no FB no other programs like Flipboard. Seems the phone is still kept awake a lot gps consumes much power (even though the location was off). Since I haven't tried rooting are there programs that might tell me whats keeping the phone awake? (Gsam doesn't allow me to do that). See the attachments

Attached Thumbnails Post Your Best Battery Performance-1183.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1182.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1181.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-1180.jpg  
    06-09-2015 05:20 AM
    I'm from Australia and my battery life is pretty [language removed]. I don't think it's Samsung's fault, it's on Google this time!

Posted via the Android Central App with the amazing Galaxy S6
    I'm in Australia and I get more than 12 hours per charge with six and a half hours of screen on time
    06-09-2015 09:54 AM

Question... Why wouldn't Location with high accuracy be a drain as well?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    06-09-2015 10:16 AM
    Hey slamdoor. I have finally decided to format the goddamn thing (yes hard reset) haven't put email accounts back yet no FB no other programs like Flipboard. Seems the phone is still kept awake a lot gps consumes much power (even though the location was off). Since I haven't tried rooting are there programs that might tell me whats keeping the phone awake? (Gsam doesn't allow me to do that). See the attachments

GPSD is a piece of software that interfaces with the GPS receiver in the device to find your location, and when working properly you shouldn’t ever really see it appearing in the battery life usage. However the GPSD can be caused to run uncharacteristically by dodgy applications, but if you are saying that just after the reset without Apps installed you have the issue then it shouldn't be an app.

If your Location is OFF completely, there is no way that this service should be even running so having it almost at the top of your battery usage stats means that something is wrong with your device, and if after a Hard reset it still does the same, I think it's the proof that you should get a replacement like I told you in the last post.

But again, the above applies if what you are saying is true and you haven't installed any app on your device, if you have, then you should consider check all your apps very carefully. Check this interesting article about GPSD service on Android.
    06-09-2015 10:20 AM
    erasat I only have whatsapp the rest are native apps. Thanks for the link let me go through it then

06-09-2015 10:51 AM
    erasat I only have whatsapp the rest are native apps. Thanks for the link let me go through it then

If you only have Whatsapp installed, seriously, go get a replacement, WhatsApp doesn't use or ping Location from your Phone like that, and if it was a Pre-installed app it must have been fixed with the reset. In my opinion, your GPS chip is somehow screwed.
    06-09-2015 12:07 PM
    Going to replace this unit no more tweaking

06-09-2015 12:22 PM
    I'm looking at these screenshots almost in disbelief. I don't think I've ever gotten over 10-11 hours on a single charge with my GS6. I'm a light user and I've already turned off most of the normal switches that would eat up a battery (VoLTE, location tracking, auto brightness). It's a shame Samsung is having this much trouble with battery life. I love the phone otherwise.

These are my most recent battery stats. I eventually had to take my SIM card out and put it in my iPhone because the battery would drain so much just from having it awake. It went down two percent just taking these four screenshots. I'm barely getting any SOT.

Post Your Best Battery Performance-2015-06-10-04.54.04.jpgPost Your Best Battery Performance-2015-06-10-04.54.16.jpgPost Your Best Battery Performance-2015-06-10-04.54.24.jpgPost Your Best Battery Performance-2015-06-10-04.54.41.jpg
    06-10-2015 12:30 AM
    My average SOT was about 3-4 hours. After doing a cache wipe I'm averaging about 5 hours SOT.

Post Your Best Battery Performance-uploadfromtaptalk1433914759588.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S6.
    06-10-2015 12:39 AM
    Last night I didn't charge my phone over night as I normally do, I wanted to see if I experienced standby drain like some do.

The phone had WiFi on, was in normal mode no power saving, my pebble time was connect to it via Bluetooth. I am really pleased with the results, still have no issues with this phones battery.

Attached Thumbnails Post Your Best Battery Performance-675.jpg   Post Your Best Battery Performance-676.jpg  
    06-11-2015 12:35 AM
    My average SOT was about 3-4 hours. After doing a cache wipe I'm averaging about 5 hours SOT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433914759588.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	180803

Sent from my Galaxy S6.
    Cache wipe?
    06-11-2015 02:02 AM
78 1234