Galaxy S6 gallery not showing all pictures?

Rick Dabate

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Version 5.02

The Gallery is not showing pictures that I download / save from a browser, or save an image from face book. I restore a bunch of photo's and put them in DCIM > Camera folder along with the other pictures I've take, but those don't show up either. The only pictures that show up in the gallery are those that I take with the Camera. I checked the other folders for the .nomedia file, and I don't see it.

Any ideas why I'm not seeing anything?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to the App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again and wait a few seconds for the database to rebuild. Do the photos show up now?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are they jpgs? I've been seeing people mention that some downloaded images are webp format, and I wonder if those aren't compatible with the Gallery app.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
1) .nomedia is a hidden file. Did you select "view hidden files" from the file manager when looking for it?

2) Might the photos be corrupt? I would try another photo viewer app like QuickPic to rule that possibility out. If you can't view them there, then there is a way to view hidden files in QuickPic. Try that if you can see then, then maybe there is a .nomedia you missed. If so, you can unhide from QuickPic, which will remove the .nomedia file.

Felipe Verdugo

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
helloooooo! !!

I fixed the problem! !!

first, plug it into a computer, and manually erase the .nomedia file.

second, go to app manager, clear cache/data from Gallery, and force stop it.

now, open the app again, and you must be able to see all pics and videos again

Rick Dabate

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
1) .nomedia is a hidden file. Did you select "view hidden files" from the file manager when looking for it?

2) Might the photos be corrupt? I would try another photo viewer app like QuickPic to rule that possibility out. If you can't view them there, then there is a way to view hidden files in QuickPic. Try that if you can see then, then maybe there is a .nomedia you missed. If so, you can unhide from QuickPic, which will remove the .nomedia file.

Installing "QuickPic" got me the results and expectations that I am looking for with the Gallery. Thanks, while the Gallery is still not working, I can deal with this as a work around for now until I have to more time to troubleshoot..

BorderGirl

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of having a similar problem. I had a text conversation with my mom. I took a picture from the text messaging app to send it to her. I can't find it in the gallery. I have cleared the cache and data and the image is still missing. I'm not sure where anything is located anymore!

byrddog123

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I had this same problem with new S6 and here's how I solved it....
First off, Samsung support (while I'm glad they answer the phone and are easy to talk to... did not have a remedy). From piecing together input from this forum here's what I did.
The issue appears to be (for some reason) some of my pictures ended up being 'hidden'. There is a .nomedia folder (that can be one cause and you need to get rid of this and also 'unhide' pictures. Pictures that are 'hidden' will not show up in gallery.
(1) to remove '.nomedia' files.... install ES File explorer >> Go to 'settings' in ES File explorer >> go to 'display settings' >> and check 'show hidden files. delete any files that say .nomedia. IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO SKIP THIS STEP AND GO TO STEP 2.....
(2) Install 'QuickPic' app. This is an app similar to Gallery, and it shows all your pictures. Go to the upper RH options and check 'show hidden'. You can now compare this to what you see in gallery and you'll probably see a huge difference. Next go to each folder pictures are in that you want to view and 'select all', then hide them all, then 'unhide' them all. Now (for me) all the pictures are unhidden and show up in gallery.

I'm still not sure why some where 'hidden' in teh first place, but this worked for me.

ShaneD7SD

Jan 20, 2018
Visit site
I had this same problem with new S6 and here's how I solved it....
First off, Samsung support (while I'm glad they answer the phone and are easy to talk to... did not have a remedy). From piecing together input from this forum here's what I did.
The issue appears to be (for some reason) some of my pictures ended up being 'hidden'. There is a .nomedia folder (that can be one cause and you need to get rid of this and also 'unhide' pictures. Pictures that are 'hidden' will not show up in gallery.
(1) to remove '.nomedia' files.... install ES File explorer >> Go to 'settings' in ES File explorer >> go to 'display settings' >> and check 'show hidden files. delete any files that say .nomedia. IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO SKIP THIS STEP AND GO TO STEP 2.....
(2) Install 'QuickPic' app. This is an app similar to Gallery, and it shows all your pictures. Go to the upper RH options and check 'show hidden'. You can now compare this to what you see in gallery and you'll probably see a huge difference. Next go to each folder pictures are in that you want to view and 'select all', then hide them all, then 'unhide' them all. Now (for me) all the pictures are unhidden and show up in gallery.

I'm still not sure why some where 'hidden' in teh first place, but this worked for me.

If possible could you be more clear I only understand a fraction and I know very little about this I have a galaxy S6 the gallery only works some of the time, quickpics is slow to load for some reason and I can't find any nomedia folders that I know of clear cashe force stop also is no bueno maybe should upgrade to a new phone and treat updates like the plague thats how lost I am.

pankaj286

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
Version 5.02

The Gallery is not showing pictures that I download / save from a browser, or save an image from face book. I restore a bunch of photo's and put them in DCIM > Camera folder along with the other pictures I've take, but those don't show up either. The only pictures that show up in the gallery are those that I take with the Camera. I checked the other folders for the .nomedia file, and I don't see it.

Any ideas why I'm not seeing anything?

You need not to panic. Install any other file manager like ES File Explorer and simply copy paste to another folder and again paste to the same folder where it was earlier.
It worked for me.