Both my husband I got our S6's last week. When he gets an email notification it has a notification pop up on his main screen, behind the contacts icon. It also shows on the mail icon. Mine does not do this, and he does not want his to do it either. I checked our settings, do not see anything different. I will post a picture so you can see what I am talking about, the red arrows are pointing to the area. Can you tell me how to make this stop? I called Samsung last night and they logged into the phone and did a few things, but it didn't help.

Can I get some help with an email notification problem?-ss.jpg
    05-29-2015 01:38 PM
    It sounds like you are checking the settings for email notifications, and maybe device notifications, are you checking the settings for your Contact app? It would seem that it has a setting to notify you of contact activity. Does it also show popups/notifications for IM or texts?
    05-29-2015 02:13 PM
    No, it is only on email (from Gmail)
    05-29-2015 02:15 PM
    Wow, that's pretty strange looking ... so you're saying that normally the email app icon is NOT behind the contacts icon, and that when your husband gets an email, the email app icon appears out of nowhere with a badge on it showing a new email notification?
    Lisa Case likes this.
    05-29-2015 02:17 PM
    1. Move the Gmail icon away from the Contacts icon - maybe to the right of Internet. See if the number stays with Contacts (but above a blank space) or goes with Gmail. (It'll probably stay with GMail.) You may also see one showing up on Textra.

2. It's called "badging" - the number circles are called badges. Some launchers do it, some don't. TouchWiz isn't supposed to (it doesn't have the code for it).

I'd guess it's some app you installed that's badging everything. Start the phone in safe mode (see the second part of Samsung Galaxy S6: Enable or Disable Safe Mode ) - that will start the normal things - Phone, Contacts - but not any apps you installed. If the badging goes away, it's an app. It could be Words (Facebook doesn't do it as far as I can remember, and Textra shouldn't) or it could be an app that's not badged itse;f, but badges other apps' icons.

Strange that he gets the one with the "problem" and doesn't want it and you don't. (And most people prefer badging, because you can see if there's anything that needs your attention at a glance. In Nova Launcher, for example, you can only get badging in the paid version - people pay for what your husband doesn't want.)
    Lisa Case likes this.
    05-29-2015 02:33 PM
    Yes, and he actually had the mail icon on the front. I had deleted it at this point when I was trying to figure it out. It pops up even with the mail icon out. I jokingly told him that maybe mine is the broken one since it isn't doing it...lol
    05-29-2015 02:42 PM
    It will not let him move it out. I even asked him if somehow he had an icon over another (which I doubt you can do). He has an actual mail icon on his front page, but I had deleted it off when testing. I took the screenshot while it was off the front page and I had sent a test email. I wonder if textra could be causing it? I do not use textra but he wanted it because he HATES the orange on the messaging. This is the only one it does it on, not even on the textra app. I have Words on mine too, I believe we have most of the same apps, except I don't have the sports one.
    05-29-2015 02:45 PM
    people pay for what your husband doesn't want.
    Yep ... I have Nova Prime + Tesla Unread ... paid for that setup, and love it. However, as this moment in time, I do get my unread count badge for Gmail ... but it's not working for the stock samsung email app ... at least not with exchange email (which is the only account I have setup in the stock email app).

But what's odd is, when I switch back to using TW instead of Nova, I get the unread count badge on the samsung email app for my exchange email account, but do NOT get an unread count badge on the Gmail app.

go figure LOL.

Ps. I have tried to contact Kevin (the dev for Nova/Tesla) ... but have been unsuccessful so far ... I don't know if he's aware yet that Tesla Unread isn't working on the S6 w/ the stock email app. If anyone knows how to reach him, I'd love to drop him a line about this.
    05-29-2015 02:45 PM
    Still looking for an answer.
    05-30-2015 04:31 PM