Does Google improving SD Card Support Reflect Poorly on the Galaxy S6?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No. They were able to make a better designed phone with 1) higher capacity models available and 2) significantly faster storage than their own and competing OEMs' flagships

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Because Samsung has somewhat disappointed me with the S6 and all its issues, I have for the first time in the iPhone's history, been seriously considering getting an iPhone 6+, but the jump up in price for more GBs is ridiculous. Especially when SD cards or so inexpensive.
It wasn't broken, Samsung.
You didn't need to try and be an iPhone. :-(

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The odd thing about the original article is that he contradicts himself. Better handling of SD cards is important for lower end markets.... where 4G and 8G phones are more common and SD card support allows these phones to extend their functionality.

To be honest with you, OEMs should not have to worry about SD cards on flagship-level phones.... they all have access to lots of fast, on-board storage to build into the things.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Consider all of the Nexus devices as well. Also, consider if Google will have this feature running bug free anytime soon. Anyway I'd rather have Samsung's implementation in the S6 then depend on a software hack from Google for micro sd cards again. I think it's time OEM's stop implementing every single thing Google comes up with anyway, the new notification system for example or so much white in the UI.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I for one never had a problem, with any phone, using a micro SD card for storage. I typically used Samsung's own and now have a Samsung 64 GB pro micro SD card collecting dust.

I for one think the omission was a stupid move. Sure, the internals are much faster but external storage had a place. And the removal was for what? So it could be thinner than the iPhone? And we also got a smaller battery to boot!

I'm a way I blame Google for the backsupsies on this as they could have done this awhile ago but chose not to.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally as a gamer SD cards suck. Even if you can install the whole game and the data to the card, it will take twice as long to load each level and already such files are huge and take forever to load. SD cards are great for music and movies/pics. But not for anything else.

Like what was already said, SD cards are great for the low to mid range phones that don't have too much on board storage. But for a flagship, I don't want to be locked down to only some minimum rom that I can't install more than what is being sold. A good example is the LG G4. It's a great phone that even has an SD card slot. But that SD slot won't help me when I run out of storage for my apps that are huge. And because you can't buy a G4 with anything larger than 32gb, I'm limited in options as to just what I can install.

If this was 2013, then yes I agree that 32gb is enough storage for even the craziest data hog out there. But this is 2015, and with apps that are getting larger and games that are getting huge (with save files sometimes just as big), I feel that 32gb is not enough. Just think, with 4k video recording and a camera that takes 16mp pictures, a simple holiday like Christmas can lead to you filling up 5gb of storage real fast.
(on some phones 4k video and taking pictures rapidly won't even save to the card so the built in storage can fill up fast.)

Sure, you'll pay less if you use an SD card. But you'll also get less in return.

If anything IMHO, Samsung did what others have failed to do by giving us storage options that nobody but Apple has done.
Even in the past when the base model for Samsung Galaxy S2/3/4/5 was only 16gb, it would take you a month to get the 32gb model and it was almost impossible to buy the 64gb phone. To me this means that with the S6, Samsung not only made history, but was a huge success in being able to sell not only the base model of 32gb (already a nice increase from the past), but also sell the 64gb model during prerelease. The 128gb model also took only about a week delay or so, most likely due to high demand and with the carriers not realising how many people wanted it.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would say they didn't -- Samsung is just trying something new. They wanted to go with a premium build and therefore -- sacrificed the internals. Good choice or bad? That is in the eye of the beholder.

I assume the Note 5 will still have the SD card so that could be an option for some.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't affect S6 sales in the least and anyway it's not Samsungs fault that Google is being wishy washy.

I think that article is another Forbes Fail if anything.

Thing is, Samsung told Google to pound sand when Google wanted them to remove the home button and capacitive buttons.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally as a gamer SD cards suck. Even if you can install the whole game and the data to the card, it will take twice as long to load each level and already such files are huge and take forever to load. SD cards are great for music and movies/pics. But not for anything else.

Like what was already said, SD cards are great for the low to mid range phones that don't have too much on board storage. But for a flagship, I don't want to be locked down to only some minimum rom that I can't install more than what is being sold. A good example is the LG G4. It's a great phone that even had an SD card slot. But that SD slot won't help me when I run out of storage for my apps that are huge. And because you can buy a G4 with anything larger than 32gb, I'm limited in options as to just what I can install.

If this was 2013, then yes I agree that 32gb is enough storage for even the craziest data hog out there. But this is 2015, and with apps that are getting larger and games that are getting huge (with save files sometimes just as big), I feel that 32gb is not enough. Just think, with 4k video recording and a camera that takes 16mp pictures, a simple holiday like Christmas can lead to you filling up 5gb of storage real fast.
(on some phones 4k video and taking pictures rapidly won't even save to the card so the built in storage can fill up fast.)

Sure, you'll pay less if you use an SD card. But you'll also get less in return.

If anything IMHO, Samsung did what others have failed to do by giving us storage options that nobody but Apple has done.
Even in the past when the base model for Samsung Galaxy S2/3/4/5 was only 16gb, it would take you a month to get the 32gb model and it was almost impossible to buy the 64gb phone. To me this means that with the S6, Samsung not only made history, but was a huge success in being able to sell not only the base model of 32gb (already a nice increase from the past), but also sell the 64gb model during prerelease. The 128gb model also took only about a week delay or so, most likely due to high demand and with the carriers not realising how many people wanted it.

Not everyone used SD cards for game or app storage. I didn't. I used them for photo and video storage when I took pics and vids. Then I removed the card, or plugged the phone to the PC, and removed them to start clean.

Not everyone trusts holding everything on their phone, for obvious reasons, and not everyone trusts the cloud storage either.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone used SD cards for game or app storage. I didn't. I used them for photo and video storage when I took pics and vids. Then I removed the card, or plugged the phone to the PC, and removed them to start clean.

Not everyone trusts holding everything on their phone, for obvious reasons, and not everyone trusts the cloud storage either.

As a photographer, I agree and did the same. Yet today you can do the same even though you don't have a card slot so I'm not sure what your point is.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One thing doesn't seem to have any relation to the other. Samsung elected not to include a poor implementation of removable storage and afterwards Google created something that will allow future devices to use that feature with better security and reliability.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
As a photographer, I agree and did the same. Yet today you can do the same even though you don't have a card slot so I'm not sure what your point is.

Point is, is that with an SD card I can remove it at will. If I want to take it out and store it away and use a different SD card, I can. Honestly, it's no big deal but it was an option that was removed so they can gain control on how you use your phone.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
One thing doesn't seem to have any relation to the other. Samsung elected not to include a poor implementation of removable storage and afterwards Google created something that will allow future devices to use that feature with better security and reliability.

How would it have been a poor implementation? Wasn't poor before. I think it was either because they couldn't make it work with a metal/glass chassis or because it would have increased the cost. If HTC could implement it in the m8 and m9, then Samsung could have done it. They chose to be like Mike.... Er.... Apple.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How would it have been a poor implementation? Wasn't poor before. I think it was either because they couldn't make it work with a metal/glass chassis or because it would have increased the cost. If HTC could implement it in the m8 and m9, then Samsung could have done it. They chose to be like Mike.... Er.... Apple.

The security and stability issues that are systemically common to 100% of SD cards, in addition to those introduced by knock off cards.