Does Google improving SD Card Support Reflect Poorly on the Galaxy S6?

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I live out in the country.
And at work they aren't broadcasting wifi.

I grew up on a gravel road in the country myself and we had DSL by 2008. Anyway, thats not the point. For better or worse, you are in the minority of high end smartphone users. It's no different than when cassettes were phased out of cars or floppy disks from computers...there will still be a small market for manufacturers willing to cater there, but the majority has moved on.

I don't think it reflects poorly on the S6 line. Only the sales data will tell us whether it actually may have, otherwise this is all purely speculation.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
All my pics and videos upload to one drive, Google photos, and my WD my book cloud storage. All set to sync on WiFi only even though I have unlimited data. Never can have to many backup options.

With that said, some are so correct in saying SD cards are obsolete and don't need them. I certainly don't. But it was an option removed for granular reasons only, either for manufacturers to tier storage to make more money or because Google, and others, are pushing cloud storage for... You guessed it.... More money. Or both even.

Some of those without SD card support and only 32GB storage, or less, are limited. Sure they have cloud storage or external drives to back up, but what if they want to show grandma the grandkids on a whim? To pull down those pics and vids it uses data. If your in a tiered data plan it can get costly. This is where SD card storage trumps all else.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
All my pics and videos upload to one drive, Google photos, and my WD my book cloud storage. All set to sync on WiFi only even though I have unlimited data. Never can have to many backup options.

With that said, some are so correct in saying SD cards are obsolete and don't need them. I certainly don't. But it was an option removed for granular reasons only, either for manufacturers to tier storage to make more money or because Google, and others, are pushing cloud storage for... You guessed it.... More money. Or both even.

Some of those without SD card support and only 32GB storage, or less, are limited. Sure they have cloud storage or external drives to back up, but what if they want to show grandma the grandkids on a whim? To pull down those pics and vids it uses data. If your in a tiered data plan it can get costly. This is where SD card storage trumps all else.

There are trade offs with a re-design. Happy to do so as 64GB is more than enough for me. With unlimited data, streaming isn't so much of a concern.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I personally like the internal storage better rather than the SD card. For me, I disliked having to go through a hundred folders in phone storage and SD card storage to find a file and move it from one to the other. All downloads did not automatically save to SD card to keep the phone's storage free. Some of the Galaxy S model phones restricted moving files at one point. If you purchase a 16GB phone, even if you have a 64GB SD card in it you cannot utilize it fully. That became annoying for me. I have an easier time transferring files to different folders and just finding folders with the S6 with just internal memory. They have those external SD card readers you can plug into the S6 if you really need it and if it's that serious for you. For me internal memory makes it easier to back up the phone and I know where everything is. I vote to leave as is and like some other comments stated, leave the SD card feature in the lower to mid-range devices since they offer less phone memory.

Galaxy S6 Gang

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Trust me, I get your point. But unless your grandmother lives by B's house and can't have wifi in her house as well to view images over wifi then just use a thumb drive or card reader to store such images so that you can view what ever you don't have stored on your phone.

(you can still use photos to view your pics much more compressed without fully downloaded as well, and on a cell phone, that will be all you need. So when viewing with grandma you'll use almost no data)

Also, going back to old school ways also means going back to 16gb vs 32gb for base models, and thus limited to what you can store on your phone when using such large apps as games (no developer is going to let you store the app on your card).

And while it always seemed great to take pics with my dSLR and pull out the micro SD card with adapter and just slap it in my phone to quickly upload it to a website or text it to somebody fast. Let's also not forget how retarded it was to pull apart your case and /or phone to do so when it in the field just so you didn't have to carry a laptop. Or like with a phone like my m8, I would now have to carry a pin to open up the card tray... I'm telling you this was even worse if you wanted to do something like this on an m8 or the new m9.

Yet today, I just carry a cord and reader or thumb drive. So simple, and far less headaches.

Plus, your way, you have limited options for storage like on the note series or like on the G4. No, I'll take the new updated ways of the S6 every time. Even for the power user as many describe the note series... That's why I don't feel that Samsung is going to stay backwards on the note 5. People would rather have options or increased storage then less storage or limited functions with a card.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to preface my comments with the statement that I'm generally happy with my S6 and my last phone had only 16GB and no SD slot (huge mistake and I hated it)

There are trade offs with a re-design. Happy to do so as 64GB is more than enough for me. With unlimited data, streaming isn't so much of a concern.

You're in a small minority of people that still have unlimited data. The vast majority of people never had it or no longer have it. I lost my unlimited data over 2 years ago when my old D Inc started having periodic bootloops and I had to retire it.

While I'm glad the internal storage is much faster than before, you're 100% correct it was for $$ reasons. They know people will pay a lot more for extra internal storage.

McDonald's has free WiFi. There had to be a micky D's by you? Maybe?

And it's so secure.

Are you still living in the 90s? No offense, but its 2015. How many people that buy flagship phones don't have regular WiFi access? This is one reason they did away with it I think.

A lot of employers don't have wifi available for their employees to use.

A lot of people are obviously for the SD card...

I don't think I read a comment about cloud storage.

SD cards are easily replaceable by apps like OneDrive and Google Photos. And this is coming from a 64gb S6 owner who had an S3 and an S5.

Its all about managing the cloud. But maybe I'm just crazy :)

I don't see cloud storage as an acceptable substitute for local storage. The push for cloud storage is just another way to squeeze more money out of us.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Trust me, I get your point. But unless your grandmother lives by B's house and can't have wifi in her house as well to view images over wifi then just use a thumb drive or card reader to store such images so that you can view what ever you don't have stored on your phone.

(you can still use photos to view your pics much more compressed without fully downloaded as well, and on a cell phone, that will be all you need. So when viewing with grandma you'll use almost no data)

Also, going back to old school ways also means going back to 16gb vs 32gb for base models, and thus limited to what you can store on your phone when using such large apps as games (no developer is going to let you store the app on your card).

And while it always seemed great to take pics with my dSLR and pull out the micro SD card with adapter and just slap it in my phone to quickly upload it to a website or text it to somebody fast. Let's also not forget how retarded it was to pull apart your case and /or phone to do so when it in the field just so you didn't have to carry a laptop. Or like with a phone like my m8, I would now have to carry a pin to open up the card tray... I'm telling you this was even worse if you wanted to do something like this on an m8 or the new m9.

Yet today, I just carry a cord and reader or thumb drive. So simple, and far less headaches.

Plus, your way, you have limited options for storage like on the note series or like on the G4. No, I'll take the new updated ways of the S6 every time. Even for the power user as many describe the note series... That's why I don't feel that Samsung is going to stay backwards on the note 5. People would rather have options or increased storage then less storage or limited functions with a card.

I don't think note users will be as accepting of no slot as S6 users. It's a different user base that won't purchase without it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think note users will be as accepting of no slot as S6 users. It's a different user base that won't purchase without it.

In a way I hope they call that bluff. I'd say 1-2% of Note users may choose something else for that reason, but I doubt it would even be that high.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
And it's so secure.

Invest some time in VPN research or read this....

www.cnet.com/how-to/tips-to-stay-safe-on-public-wi-fi/

Stay safe, stay secure. Fight your government to secure your devices as they are full of intentional backdoors in both hardware and software. You are not secure in your home. You are not secure outside. If you think you are secure you are fooling yourself or misled. But please, at least invest the time or money in at least a good VPN when using public wifi.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Yes my grandma is 92. No WiFi. No pc. No smartphone. And yes she lives near aunt b's.

But I said in a whim. Spontaneous. Like when she so happens to be at the grocery store, or at my uncles house. Kinda hard to lug external crap around just in case.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
In a way I hope they call that bluff. I'd say 1-2% of Note users may choose something else for that reason, but I doubt it would even be that high.

1-2%? I think it's a LOT more than that. I would agree with that statement more if you were referring to S5 users who wouldn't buy an S6. Note users are a different breed imo.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes my grandma is 92. No WiFi. No pc. No smartphone. And yes she lives near aunt b's.

But I said in a whim. Spontaneous. Like when she so happens to be at the grocery store, or at my uncles house. Kinda hard to lug external crap around just in case.

Like I said, Google photos for the win. Don't down load. Just open the image. It does use some data. But Google location services uses 10 times as much...and we all know that we shouldn't cripple our devices. *wink

The cloud is not that hard of a hardship if you use it wisely. Btw, I'm on AT&T and don't have unlimited.

Oh, and if you think it's hard to carry a thumb drive on your key chain then I give up. You win.

Posted via the zenfone 2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

If Samsung releases the note 5 with the base model at 64gb, then it won't even be half a percent IMHO.

It's like on screen vs off screen buttons. Only us geeks talk about it. Nobody else cares.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1-2%? I think it's a LOT more than that. I would agree with that statement more if you were referring to S5 users who wouldn't buy an S6. Note users are a different breed imo.

With the S6 I would have said 1-2% of 1-2%, maybe. I really don't think very many people care. Say they sell 70 million, I think there might have been 10,000-25,000 more purchases had they included an SD card. Removable battery probably 2,000-5,000 more sales and on screen buttons probably 500-1,000 more sales.

If Samsung releases the note 5 with the base model at 64gb, then it won't even be half a percent IMHO.

It's like on screen vs off screen buttons. Only us geeks talk about it. Nobody else cares.

Agree with this.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, Google photos for the win. Don't down load. Just open the image. It does use some data. But Google location services uses 10 times as much...and we all know that we shouldn't cripple our devices. *wink

The cloud is not that hard of a hardship if you use it wisely. Btw, I'm on AT&T and don't have unlimited.

Oh, and if you think it's hard to carry a thumb drive on your key chain then I give up. You win.

Posted via the zenfone 2

That works for you and that is great. . others may not want that option and want the SD card. It doesn't make them wrong .. they just do not share your opinion on the matter :).

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
That works for you and that is great. . others may not want that option and want the SD card. It doesn't make them wrong .. they just do not share your opinion on the matter :).

Never said anyone is wrong. Totally understand where people are coming from, and welcome other opinions. As I've said earlier, I moaned for weeks when the m7 don't have an SD card slot, and put my money where my mouth was and got an S4.... The first phone that wasn't HTC. SD card back with the m8, yep I still have it. The difference is that I couldn't get a 64gb model on the m7 as it was always sold out when I had money for it from the manufacturer. But with Samsung, this time, far more options then ever and you can buy it everyplace even at carriers with no interest and no down payment. Couldn't say that with HTC.

But yeah, I welcome all views as sometimes even if I disagree at first, I might change my mind later once I learn from them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital