06-03-2015 06:44 PM
36 12
tools
    To backup pics? I haven't installed the new app yet, I'm still researching the differences and trying to figure out what to do.

Anyone here try it out yet and if so would it be beneficial to switch if I don't actually use G+ for anything but saving pics?

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-01-2015 06:11 PM
    To backup pics? I haven't installed the new app yet, I'm still researching the differences and trying to figure out what to do.

Anyone here try it out yet and if so would it be beneficial to switch if I don't actually use G+ for anything but saving pics?

Dropbox

06-01-2015 06:14 PM

I use it and it's great. It's like a gallery app on steroids. It's beneficial.

I stopped using Dropbox when they took my 75 gig promo away.

06-01-2015 06:17 PM
    Google photos is great and free. Just make sure you select the unlimited high res option for free uploads and in the sync settings choose only upload on Wi-Fi and only when plugged in to a charger, to save battery and excess data.

dreaming of electric sheep
    06-01-2015 06:24 PM
    I'm really liking the new Google Photos app. Very fast, clean, easy to use and unlimited photo and video storage sounds great to me.

They compress the images, but they still look really good and quite close to the original.

Sent from my SM-G920I
    06-01-2015 07:07 PM
    The new Google photos app replaces auto backup with Google+.
    Same service, just a different way of going about it.

06-01-2015 07:19 PM
    I've avoided Google Plus photo backups since inception and in short, it sucks. Go with the new Photos. It's what I've been waiting forever for. It's what they should have done since the start.
    06-01-2015 07:35 PM
    I've avoided Google Plus photo backups since inception and in short, it sucks. Go with the new Photos. It's what I've been waiting forever for. It's what they should have done since the start.
    It's the same backup system. The only thing different is the image analysis once it's backed up. How can one suck and the other be great?
    06-01-2015 07:44 PM
    It's the same backup system. The only thing different is the image analysis once it's backed up. How can one suck and the other be great?
    It's not tethered to G+ anymore, that's the difference. A photo backup cloud shouldn't have ever been tied to a social network platform.
    jcp007, Daspoo, shdw493 and 1 others like this.
    06-01-2015 07:49 PM
    The new Google photos app replaces auto backup with Google+.
    Same service, just a different way of going about it.

Well that's just it, it hasn't replaced it. Google+ auto backup is still working and I'd have to install the new photos app. I really don't think I want to sync to both...

06-01-2015 10:49 PM
    It's not tethered to G+ anymore, that's the difference. A photo backup cloud shouldn't have ever been tied to a social network platform.
    Ok now I agree with this. Ok gonna give it a shot. Thanks everyone!

shdw493 likes this.
    06-01-2015 10:50 PM
    All that is required is to download from the Play Store ?
    06-01-2015 10:56 PM
    All that is required is to download from the Play Store ?
    Yes

06-01-2015 11:40 PM
    Although the download isn't working for some reason. I installed it like an hour ago and started the download... It's still sitting at the first one, on Wi-Fi lol. Come on Google.

06-01-2015 11:42 PM
    Although the download isn't working for some reason. I installed it like an hour ago and started the download... It's still sitting at the first one, on Wi-Fi lol. Come on Google.

Hit us back with more feedback.
    06-02-2015 06:33 AM
    As great as Google Photos might be, I want my original photos. Rather than sacrifice even a little quality, I'm sticking with my 130GB of OneDrive storage.
    tonyr6 likes this.
    06-02-2015 06:38 AM
    Hit us back with more feedback.
    Ok it downloaded everything over night and it's all like it should be now.
    A funny thing happened when I installed it though, now there's no photos on my
    G+, which is fine, but interesting.

One thing I'm curious about I'd if I need to download and the new Google Photos app on my pc. I'll have to read up more.

I'm also using OneDrive as Google+ auto backup stopped working about 3 weeks ago.

06-02-2015 11:00 AM
    Dropbox

So I used to love Dropbox, but lately it's been flakey. My wife changed some documents on my computer on Dropbox, but they never synced with my phone. Very frustrating. So now I don't trust it. Plus in order to backup photos I'd have to pay for more storage. The free option doesn't give enough.

06-02-2015 11:02 AM
    As great as Google Photos might be, I want my original photos. Rather than sacrifice even a little quality, I'm sticking with my 130GB of OneDrive storage.
    Well since it is free why not just use both? The automated image analysis which comes to light in the search functionality is stellar. I'll keep my original photos going to Dropbox and gladly push a compressed version to this service for the image analysis alone.
    06-02-2015 12:58 PM
    Well since it is free why not just use both? The automated image analysis which comes to light in the search functionality is stellar. I'll keep my original photos going to Dropbox and gladly push a compressed version to this service for the image analysis alone.
    Good question. I just might. I used to have Dropbox, Copy, OneDrive, Flickr, Facebook and Google+. Talk about overkill and battery drain. Problem was they all offered something the others didn't. Now that I have photos everywhere, I'm looking to use one service, and simplify things. The search part does intrigue me, and I'm considering doing exactly what you said.
    06-02-2015 01:52 PM
    I don't like it because it still using my drive storage and most of my pictures are below 16mp. Even my parents pictures on there drive account is using storage and all the photos they took are with there phone under 16mp. Google Photos is not unlimited. They are a bunch of liars.
    06-02-2015 02:50 PM

One thing I'm curious about I'd if I need to download and the new Google Photos app on my pc. I'll have to read up more.

photos.google.com

06-02-2015 04:04 PM
    I have my photos and vids synced to Google Photos, one drive, and my WD my cloud. Never can have to many backup options.

06-02-2015 04:05 PM
    I don't like it because it still using my drive storage and most of my pictures are below 16mp. Even my parents pictures on there drive account is using storage and all the photos they took are with there phone under 16mp. Google Photos is not unlimited. They are a bunch of liars.
    You have to switch it in the app settings. It gives you both options. One to have unlimited and one to use your drive quota.

06-02-2015 04:09 PM
    I'm liking Google Photos right now. Very cool and you can't beat unlimited storage. Yes, if you go the unlimited route you have to deal your pictures being compressed to "high quality" but I haven't noticed a difference yet. Google needs to update the Android app though because you're given the option of only syncing pictures/videos when WiFi is available, but it syncs whether you're connected to WiFi or not and this can cause problems for people with low data plans.
    06-02-2015 04:14 PM
36 12