Newbie with a battery question

Allan Preston

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just upgraded to the S6 from an old S3.

I had to replace the battery in my S3 once, due to it no longer holding a charge for more than a few hours. The first thing I noted about the S6 is that its a completely sealed unit, with no option to change the battery except by returning it to a service centre.

It's a beautiful and very fast phone, and I absolutely adore it, but the lack of a swappable battery does concern me.

I have a habit of charging the phone overnight, and considering it charges from empty to full in just 2 hours, I'm wondering if this is a bad practice. This is what I envision happening.
1) The phone reaches full charge. Charging stops.
2) The phone discharges very slightly, charging begins again.
3) Goto 1 until unplugged from the charger.

Will this result in a problem in the long term?

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I just upgraded to the S6 from an old S3.

I had to replace the battery in my S3 once, due to it no longer holding a charge for more than a few hours. The first thing I noted about the S6 is that its a completely sealed unit, with no option to change the battery except by returning it to a service centre.

It's a beautiful and very fast phone, and I absolutely adore it, but the lack of a swappable battery does concern me.

I have a habit of charging the phone overnight, and considering it charges from empty to full in just 2 hours, I'm wondering if this is a bad practice. This is what I envision happening.
1) The phone reaches full charge. Charging stops.
2) The phone discharges very slightly, charging begins again.
3) Goto 1 until unplugged from the charger.

Will this result in a problem in the long term?

In theory you would think that's how it would work. Honestly, I don't know though. I use the Samsung Wireless Charger on my night stand. The way it works is, when it's full charged, it shuts off and will not charge again until the phone is removed and replaced on the wireless charger. I know that doesn't answer your question directly, but if you have the Samsung wireless charger, then leaving on the charger over night would only charge once. With that being said, some could argue that wireless charging generates more heat which also can degrade battery life. Basically, you can't win. LOL. If you have some time, I recommend these two articles.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

How To Take Care of Your Smartphone Battery the Right Way

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Rumor is, you can have the battery replaced by Samsung for ~$40. Ignore all aspects of the battery other than keeping it topped off, and replace when you need to, is my advice. Its just not worth worrying about the battery. Any effort you put into prolonging the life of your battery is wasted IMO; too little difference for far too much worry.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Batteries have a finite number of charges. However, that number is pretty high, and should last 2 years. I would avoid deep discharges, excessive heat, etc.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You don't have to send phones with non-removable batteries back to the manufacturer and be without the phone for weeks. You can go to a cellphone repair shop and have it done in a day or two. Some shops will even replace a battery while you wait. Non-removable batteries are no problem.

Leaving the phone on a charger is no problem either. I've done it for many years with many devices and never had a problem. Charging turns off when the battery is charged.

Android user since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I see. Thank you for your inputs guys, its appreciated.

:)

No problem. Charge overnight as well and sometimes in the car. Done it for years. If you use the OEM rapid charger, it should take a hour and 5 min or so.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
No problem. Charge overnight as well and sometimes in the car. Done it for years. If you use the OEM rapid charger, it should take a hour and 5 min or so.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

It does charge wickedly fast!

Richard Meyers

May 14, 2015
Visit site
The battery is removable just not easily. There are directions (explanation?) on the last two pages of the owners manual. An end-user with some skill with electronics could do it but the cost of the tools would make it a wash. Most li-ion batteries get about 500 cycles so probably not an issue for 14 months or so.