Samsung's anti-Virus / Malware vs. Lookout ?

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
On my previous Android, I used LOOKOUT as my anti-virus App. I see that the S6 comes loaded with Samsung's Security - including the "find my phone" and "remote Lock" if ever lost. Is this default Samsung security "strong enough" in everyone's opinion, or is a 3rd party APP like LOOKOUT still needed?

Thanks in advance.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
It's strong enough and I tested it out. You'll need high accuracy mode in location for it to work the best. High accuracy mode is the same as gps/wifi/LTE mode. I tested this out in the wild and while it didn't perfectly find my phone, it did show it outside within just a few feet of where I hid the phone and my friend was able to find my phone in under a minute without knowing where I placed it.

Posted via the zenfone 2

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I personally do not use any type of virus protection. I mainly only install from the Play Store (sometimes the Amazon one) so I am not too worried. I also don't install random apps (as in by a dev that isn't known). That is just me.

I have heard people say they like lookout though.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Kaspersky for me as part of my subscription for up to five devices.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I personally do not use any type of virus protection. I mainly only install from the Play Store (sometimes the Amazon one) so I am not too worried. I also don't install random apps (as in by a dev that isn't known). That is just me.

I have heard people say they like lookout though.

I'm like you, keeping safe is better than some virus protection.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anti-virus protection, to me, is like car insurance. You have it but hope that you won't need it. You're glad to have it when you have an accident. It is totally up to the individual whether you get anti-virus protection or not. I don't believe that even the Play Store can vet every app and that there isn't a way that someone can't find a way to introduce a virus.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I totally understand why people use anti virus software. But if you only use the play store and Amazon and read reviews first then your far more likely to have clean Master speed up your phone than get a malware.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I totally understand why people use anti virus software. But if you only use the play store and Amazon and read reviews first then your far more likely to have clean Master speed up your phone than get a malware.

Malware risk is minimal but these smartphones have become small handheld portable computers. Also, given the expense in the unlikely event of having to replace the device. Hopefully, insurance covers it. I would think that they are susceptible as we open emails and navigate websites as well as a developer creating an improvement adding a feature to an existing app and branding it with a new name. Being open source I would think has some vulnerability.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you all for opinions on this. I just didn't want to bog down my phone by adding additional software if not needed. I'm pretty careful with what I install - and only use Google Play .... I think I'll just live with Samsung's security for now.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Don't forget you can get viruses and malware browsing the internet as well. It's not just from downloading things.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Lookout drained my battery and slowed down every phone I've had it on, so it never lasted long before I would disable it. Most anti virus/malware removers don't do much of anything, really. Most only do something after the fact your phone has been 'infected' with something. Only install apps from the play store, be careful with what websites you go to and don't click on strange links in emails and off texts and 99% of the time you'll be fine. The same precautions you would use on your computer really.

Honestly, the bigger risk is loosing your phone or having it stolen and then not having the ability to remote lock or remote wipe it.

If you'd still feel better having one, I'd recommend downloading something like Lookout once a week or every other week and running a scan and then deleting it. It's just going to hog system resources if you leave it on 24/7 and most of the time if won't stop anything, just tell you something has happened after the fact.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is Security Policy Updates the Samsung Security the same thing? There is an article that I posted in another thread from PhoneArena today that lists it as one of the top five battery draining apps.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Lookout drained my battery and slowed down every phone I've had it on, so it never lasted long before I would disable it. Most anti virus/malware removers don't do much of anything, really. Most only do something after the fact your phone has been 'infected' with something. Only install apps from the play store, be careful with what websites you go to and don't click on strange links in emails and off texts and 99% of the time you'll be fine. The same precautions you would use on your computer really.

Honestly, the bigger risk is loosing your phone or having it stolen and then not having the ability to remote lock or remote wipe it.

If you'd still feel better having one, I'd recommend downloading something like Lookout once a week or every other week and running a scan and then deleting it. It's just going to hog system resources if you leave it on 24/7 and most of the time if won't stop anything, just tell you something has happened after the fact.

If you are going so far as to use it occasionally then don't uninstall, but disable it between uses.