I know most people say that it's better to use the gmail app for email if you are using a gmail email address. BUT I also have the Samsung gear s and the watch cannot use the gmail app. I can reply to messages but I cannot start one. I know there is a workaround by using Opera mini browser but I don't like it. My question is can I use the Samsung native email app with a gmail account and will I receive the emails as soon as they come in?
    06-03-2015 02:55 PM
    I use the Gmail app. I do not like the Samsung app as I have run into issues with emails not truly deleting.
    06-03-2015 03:02 PM
    I know most people say that it's better to use the gmail app for email if you are using a gmail email address
    "Yhey" may, but there's no reason for it.

My question is can I use the Samsung native email app with a gmail account and will I receive the emails as soon as they come in?
    If you have it set for push you'll receive the emails as they come in - the same as any properly written email app. The main differences (apart from the ability to handle Exchange Mail, which is non-standard [and Lotus Mail, if anyone still uses it, for the same reason] are the appearance, how you do things (tap the email, tap the little box next to it, etc.), how multiple accounts are handled (one of the things I like about K-9 Mail and similar email apps is a unified inbox - all the emails in all folders from all accounts on one screen) - things like that. But POP3 is POP3, IMAP is IMAP and SMTP is SMTP. Any properly written email app should work with any properly written email server. The rest is personal preference. (You can even use Telnet to send and receive email - the protocols are among the simplest ones used on the internet.)

I use the Gmail app. I do not like the Samsung app as I have run into issues with emails not truly deleting.
    That's strange - that's exactly why I don't use the GMail app - deleted IMAP messaged being download again.
    06-03-2015 03:04 PM
    "Yhey" may, but there's no reason for it.

If you have it set for push you'll receive the emails as they come in - the same as any properly written email app. The main differences (apart from the ability to handle Exchange Mail, which is non-standard [and Lotus Mail, if anyone still uses it, for the same reason] are the appearance, how you do things (tap the email, tap the little box next to it, etc.), how multiple accounts are handled (one of the things I like about K-9 Mail and similar email apps is a unified inbox - all the emails in all folders from all accounts on one screen) - things like that. But POP3 is POP3, IMAP is IMAP and SMTP is SMTP. Any properly written email app should work with any properly written email server. The rest is personal preference. (You can even use Telnet to send and receive email - the protocols are among the simplest ones used on the internet.)

That's strange - that's exactly why I don't use the GMail app - deleted IMAP messaged being download again.
    Thank you for the explanation, I tried using the native email app and it didn't seem to push my emails through so I don't know if I have to change the settings because I was using the default. In case it's unclear I'm still referring to my gmail account.
    06-03-2015 07:05 PM
    The reason for this is the default setting in Gmail is to archive emails that are deleted from another client. you have to go into your Gmail settings on your computer and change it to delete.
    06-03-2015 09:09 PM
    The reason for this is the default setting in Gmail is to archive emails that are deleted from another client. you have to go into your Gmail settings on your computer and change it to delete.
    It was Samsung's app that did this -- since switching to the Gmail app it deletes when I set it to delete.
    06-03-2015 09:14 PM