Word up,

I know that you can connect a single USB device to almost any recent smartphone with an OTG USB cable but I have also seen some posts and youtube videos of people using different kinds of USB hubs with previous Galaxy S phones but none with Galaxy S6. I used to have a Galaxy S4 and an official multi-media dock from Samsung. I used it to connect my phone to the TV (from the HDMI output) and to several USB devices (mice, keyboards, gamepads, memory sticks etc) all the while charging the phone and taking power from the dock as it's connected to power plug in the wall to get sufficient power for all the apparel, instead of just draining the phone's battery in seconds. This dock, however, is not compatible with the S6 so I'm left wondering if it's safe to use some third party USB hub (I own a powered 4-port Trancend USB3.0 hub with its own power supply) to hook up several USB apparel to my S6 without frying my phone's circuits. Has anyone tried this or is there some kind of official info from Samsung about this? I contanced the customer support but all they said was that they can't confirm the safety of third party apparel if I decide to use them with my phone. What I'd really like to do is use a gamepad or mouse + keyboard combo to game on my S6 while not having to worry about running out of battery. Naturally I would like the phone to use the OTG-USB cable to connect to the hub and the hub to power all the apparel with the juice coming from the wall instead of the phone's battery. Cheers!
    06-03-2015 07:23 PM
    AFAIK, when the phone goes into OTG mode, the power pins on the charging connector become output pins, so you can't have both OTG and phone charging at the same time. (The microUSB hubs with charging connectors provide power to the external devices, not to the phone.) It's unfortunate, but there just aren't enough pins for the phone to send power to the USB devices and receive power from the charger.
    06-04-2015 12:51 AM
    Well that's good news for me, kinda. =P That means that I can't force my S6 to draw too much power from the single port to power a myriad of USB devices if I'm using an OTG cable and a powered USB hub, right? The only thing I'd miss then is the HDMI output from the media dock. I guess there's no other way to get the S6 image onto a big screen than various screen mirroring tehcnologies? Too bad my Sony Bravia smart TV is a bit too old for that... =S
    06-05-2015 09:12 PM
    AFAIK, when the phone goes into OTG mode, the power pins on the charging connector become output pins, so you can't have both OTG and phone charging at the same time. (The microUSB hubs with charging connectors provide power to the external devices, not to the phone.) It's unfortunate, but there just aren't enough pins for the phone to send power to the USB devices and receive power from the charger.
    12-07-2015 08:30 AM
    How the mhl cable works then ? I can connect my phone to hdmi port on tv and charge from usb at the same time. Tv is not a host in this setup.
    I think new firmware can send and receive power from the same legs.
    12-07-2015 08:34 AM