How would you change the Galaxy S6?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey, folks. Doing up a post for the blog side of the shop on what you'd like to have seen done differently on the GS6.

Me? Battery, hands down. Gimme a little more thickness and a few more hours of use.

What say you fine folks?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with the battery. While I have ways around it (I am always near chargers) it would be nice if it just lasted longer and didn't need that juice.

Ravi Paw

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a S6 white 64gb.Personally the battery is good for me. I'm a moderate user. I get about 27-28hrs on battery but obviously need to plug it in nightly. SD card no doubt should be on here as I believe that was Samsungs strongest selling point. Better speaker, I think one is not enough especially at the bottom. Ideally two would have been good, I.e. Top right next to the IR blaster. And finally the home button could have been more stable. It's gotten slightly loose recently.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Larger battery would be #1 priority for me too. 2nd and nearly equally important change would be removal of carrier bloat. Right now only Apple has enough clout to force the issue on this but if enough manufacturers of devices on Android followed suit, maybe the carriers would be forced to back off on it.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Increase thickness to be flush with camera hump. This allows a larger battery.

Slim down Touchwiz more and make it more unified.

Uninstall bloat not just disable.

Improve the camera.

64GB as lowest storage model.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Bigger battery, though not massively bigger. Around 3,000 mA would do fine seeing as a good chuck of the battery issues cropping up are more Google software related. For some people, like me, it's great and for some it's awful. Bigger battery mitigates that for people having issues, but also gives Google a free pass not to get their OS in shape. It sucks either way you look at it. I don't care about thinkness and I like the camera hump. Otherwise it's a plain, flat slab that looks very iPhone-ish.

Software is the next big one, if not number 1 for me. The backend of TouchWiz got an overhaul and works much better but the UI still has issues. Several of the apps, like the dialer app and calender app are well done and have a decent enough material design touch but some of the other apps look like fancy Jelly Bean (or earlier!) apps. The TouchWiz apps need to have a unified look and 99% of the icons need a full redesign to fit more with material design.

Bloatware will never go away. Samsung really cut it down with the S Apps but the carriers went back and mucked it up.

Speaker needs an overhaul. Bad. Front facing would be better but even if they keep it at the bottom it needs to be of much better quality. The thing pretty much screeches out it's own ringtones when it's set to full volume, and does much worse with any other audio that could come out.

Water resistance would be nice, and should be fairly easy on a sealed phone, but I would not call it a biggie.

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Allow users to make or adjust their own themes w/o being forced to only choose those Samsung deems worthy for the Theme store, or at least aggregate it further such that I could use fonts from one theme, icons from another, etc.

Front-facing speakers would have been nice, but ONLY if it could have somehow been incorporated w/o making the phone so much taller like the M8/M9.

More customization of the Edge features, like maybe brightness control of the Night Clock.

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm all in on the battery too. I'd also like to see less bloat and waterproofing (or at least Resistance, I just want to be able to use my phone on a rainy day without worrying).

Posted via the Android Central App

mistyisland

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Reliable fingerprint lock. Mine works about one out of five times. Also some decent themes--NOT little red riding hood. Or anything resembling.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery is the obvious one here, I would love to see a Google edition with stock android. Samsung did a great job of slimming touch wiz down but it's just not enough and I do not want to have to wait on Samsung or my carrier for updates. Aside from that I am in AT&T and the bloat from the carrier is a little over the top, I think I had to dissable 12-15 apps they force me to have on the device.

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer a bigger battery - it hasn't been an issue for me because I can generally charge throughout the day but I know there will be a time that I can't and I'll be frustrated by it.

I still want an SD card slot - I don't want to have to actively manage internal storage between photos and music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87