How would you change the Galaxy S6?

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
A bigger battery would be my pick. Also, having the bluetooth dialog box not appear if you're already connected to a BT device would be greatly appreciated. Every time I enable BT my phone pairs to the device immediately. However, the dialog box still finds it necessary to appear afterwards showing the device I'm currently connected to and other BT devices I've previously paired my phone to.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, the good thing is it looks like Google has addressed the deep sleep situation with M, and bas we on reports from the preview users it seems to be working. Of course I don't expect to see M on my carrier device for 9 months or so.

Posted via the Android Central App

Really looking forward to Doze and RAM management. Even better battery life and faster performance. Come on, Android Moon Pie.

scuz

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Like pretty much everyone has said. better battery.

I dont like the glass back either. A step up from the S3/4 but I would have preferred either metal (iphone/htc one series) or plastic (nokia/moto/nexus series).

And the UI. Michael Wolfson mentioned "moments of delight" on all about android.. Touchwiz just doesnt have enough of those.
Its functional. It might even be decently fast... but it is just not fun to use .. at least for me.
It looks a bit boring too..
Touchwiz bashing is getting old.. I know.. and I cant quite explain what it is.. but its just not that fun to use.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I dont like the glass back either. A step up from the S3/4 but I would have preferred either metal (iphone/htc one series) or plastic (nokia/moto/nexus series).

I've mentioned this before and it's just speculation on my part, but I think Samsung went with a glass back to keep wireless charging compatibility. Samsung has tended to have a soft spot for wireless charging. A metal back would have interfered with wireless charging and to please those that demanded a more premium (non-plastic) build quality, they went with glass.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine are:
1. Larger battery.
2. Sapphire glass front panel and camera lens.
3. Back panel made of different materials to make the phone grippy
4. Able to remove bloat.
5. Offer a non-touchwiz option, not a Google Play edition, just allow you to choose the theme and launcher

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine are:
1. Larger battery.
2. Sapphire glass front panel and camera lens.
3. Back panel made of different materials to make the phone grippy
4. Able to remove bloat.
5. Offer a non-touchwiz option, not a Google Play edition, just allow you to choose the theme and launcher

As more companies like car and furniture manufacturers and restaurants offer wireless charging, what other material can be substituted to retain this feature built in? It's not a feature that I would change. Removing it is a step backward, IMO.

Ken Allen3

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
My no.1 issue to improve would be the fingerprint sensor.
After that, software optimisation would be tops. After numerous factory resets, I still get apps that FC (mainly Gapps) and I get random glitches.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
As more companies like car and furniture manufacturers and restaurants offer wireless charging, what other material can be substituted to retain this feature built in? It's not a feature that I would change. Removing it is a step backward, IMO.

I wouldn't want it to affect wireless charging either. But there are definitely other materials or designs that will provide better grip while keeping wireless charging.

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

You mentioned earlier that I "lost you" when I mentioned the use of a polymer back in lieu of glass... that you had had enough of plastic. Well, yes, polymer is generically "plastic", but there are MANY grades of polymers, and as an architect and contractor, I can tell you that there are synthetic materials being made now that are every bit as nice as glass for an application like this ... yet, they are more durable. Changing from glass to some type of polymer/plastic/polycarbonate sheet for the back of the phone could/should be done for durability, and would not sacrifice "premium build quality" ... and it would still allow for wireless charging too.

As honestly as I can say this, I think you'd be surprised how nice it could be.

Last edited:

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
You mentioned earlier that I "lost you" when I mentioned the use of a polymer back in lieu of glass... that you had had enough of plastic. Well, yes, polymer is generically "plastic", but there are MANY grades of polymers, and as an architect and contractors, I can tell you that there are synthetic materials being made now that are every bit as nice as glass for an application like this ... yet, they are more durable. Changing from glass to some type of polymer/plastic/polycarbonate sheet for the back of the phone could/should be done for durability, and would not sacrifice "premium build quality" ... and it would still allow for wireless charging too.

That would also make for a lighter phone, right?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned earlier that I "lost you" when I mentioned the use of a polymer back in lieu of glass... that you had had enough of plastic. Well, yes, polymer is generically "plastic", but there are MANY grades of polymers, and as an architect and contractor, I can tell you that there are synthetic materials being made now that are every bit as nice as glass for an application like this ... yet, they are more durable. Changing from glass to some type of polymer/plastic/polycarbonate sheet for the back of the phone could/should be done for durability, and would not sacrifice "premium build quality" ... and it would still allow for wireless charging too.

I'll defer to your technical expertise. My concern is that the synthetic materials be functional and aesthetically pleasing in terms of retaining the premium look. If a synthetic material is uses, I would still want a sealed chassis.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about the battery. I love the phone's dimensions, having determined I would not want anything bigger. One thing the dimensions have done, as I see it, is create a massive aftermarket of cases that fit without becoming too big. I think if you ran this query among case designers they'd scream NO THICKER. Maybe I'm off, but that's my perception coming from a Razr Maxx HD market that wasn't exactly bustling. Perhaps this flood of options isn't so much the good starting point, rather it's typical for Samsung devices?

That said, front facing speakers would be slick. (But, again, I wouldn't want the footprint to change.)

HTC's theme editor would be cool, but I don't mind checking the store for new, free themes every week, even if they do draw the ire of many forumites.

#1 thing to change, no ifs, ands or buts.... the headset. Awful. Who wears buds like that? Ugh. I could leave 5 sets of headphones laying out and I think these are so bad that the dog would chew only the other 4 cords.
That's just Samsung. When you actually sell millions of phones, companies will make a ton of cases lol.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
After years of being hammered about the cheap plastic look, Samsung may go all in excluding the card slot and replaceable battery.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Wiggum333

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
After years of being hammered about the cheap plastic look, Samsung may go all in excluding the card slot and replaceable battery.

IMHO, the problem with Samsung's older phones and the "cheap plastic look" was a product of the plastic bezel and the thin, flimsy plastic back that you could take on/off. Now that they have gone to a metal bezel and a sealed chassis, that opens the option for a true "sheet" of some sort of high-grade plastic or other synthetic backing that doesn't prohibit wireless charging, but at the same time lends itself to a "premium quality build".

Think of a simple sheet of plexi-glass. There are very high grades of clear plexi, and you can also have them colored. A thin "sheet" of that in lieu of the glass would still be hard, look essentially the same as the glass, look/feel very solid, but be lighter and less prone to damage (breakage). It may scar more easily, but it isn't going to break like glass will.

That's all I'm talking about when saying they should consider something like that for the back of the phone instead of glass.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, the problem with Samsung's older phones and the "cheap plastic look" was a product of the plastic bezel and the thin, flimsy plastic back that you could take on/off. Now that they have gone to a metal bezel and a sealed chassis, that opens the option for a true "sheet" of some sort of high-grade plastic or other synthetic backing that doesn't prohibit wireless charging, but at the same time lends itself to a "premium quality build".

Think of a simple sheet of plexi-glass. There are very high grades of clear plexi, and you can also have them colored. A thin "sheet" of that in lieu of the glass would still be hard, look essentially the same as the glass, look/feel very solid, but be lighter and less prone to damage (breakage). It may scar more easily, but it isn't going to break like glass will.

That's all I'm talking about when saying they should consider something like that for the back of the phone instead of glass.

Not to mention that it's much lighter. Still need a case though.

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
1) battery stamina mode like sony z series.
2) better speaker. I like its current location, as I use a wallet case
3) less clunky notification drop down. Not as smooth as stock lollipop
4) disable hardware back and recent keys, use swipe/tap gesture instead. The amount of times I accidentally press those.....
6) buy up a launcher company like Nova or Hola and give TouchWiz a military send off. Maybe license out Cyanogen OS??? A lot better than utilizing an in house attempt nobody cares about a la Tizen.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The few shortcomings that I can come up with I can live with.

That being said, along with better battery life, I would love to see continuous scrolling on the homescreens, & the app drawer.

Also, it befuddles me why when you install a new app, you have to continue hitting the A-Z icon in the app drawer, to organize the new app alphabetically with the rest of your apps. Why is this not done automatically??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo