06-19-2015 11:09 AM
113 123 ...
tools
    Hey, folks. Doing up a post for the blog side of the shop on what you'd like to have seen done differently on the GS6.

Me? Battery, hands down. Gimme a little more thickness and a few more hours of use.

What say you fine folks?
    06-04-2015 12:43 PM
    I agree with the thickness so the camera wart is flush and a bigger battery.
    S6edge46220 and chezm like this.
    06-04-2015 12:46 PM
    I have to agree with the battery. While I have ways around it (I am always near chargers) it would be nice if it just lasted longer and didn't need that juice.
    berdinkerdickle and Phonejock like this.
    06-04-2015 12:48 PM
    I have a S6 white 64gb.Personally the battery is good for me. I'm a moderate user. I get about 27-28hrs on battery but obviously need to plug it in nightly. SD card no doubt should be on here as I believe that was Samsungs strongest selling point. Better speaker, I think one is not enough especially at the bottom. Ideally two would have been good, I.e. Top right next to the IR blaster. And finally the home button could have been more stable. It's gotten slightly loose recently.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-04-2015 12:49 PM
    Larger battery would be #1 priority for me too. 2nd and nearly equally important change would be removal of carrier bloat. Right now only Apple has enough clout to force the issue on this but if enough manufacturers of devices on Android followed suit, maybe the carriers would be forced to back off on it.
    planoman likes this.
    06-04-2015 01:05 PM
    Maybe a slightly larger screen 5.5inch and waterproofing again.

06-04-2015 01:28 PM
    Some Front facing speakers
    06-04-2015 01:48 PM
    Increase thickness to be flush with camera hump. This allows a larger battery.

Slim down Touchwiz more and make it more unified.

Uninstall bloat not just disable.

Improve the camera.

64GB as lowest storage model.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device
    06-04-2015 02:05 PM
    More battery life
    Less bloat
    Better theme selection
    Custom security with the fingerprint scanner
    cd619 likes this.
    06-04-2015 02:16 PM
    Bigger battery, though not massively bigger. Around 3,000 mA would do fine seeing as a good chuck of the battery issues cropping up are more Google software related. For some people, like me, it's great and for some it's awful. Bigger battery mitigates that for people having issues, but also gives Google a free pass not to get their OS in shape. It sucks either way you look at it. I don't care about thinkness and I like the camera hump. Otherwise it's a plain, flat slab that looks very iPhone-ish.

Software is the next big one, if not number 1 for me. The backend of TouchWiz got an overhaul and works much better but the UI still has issues. Several of the apps, like the dialer app and calender app are well done and have a decent enough material design touch but some of the other apps look like fancy Jelly Bean (or earlier!) apps. The TouchWiz apps need to have a unified look and 99% of the icons need a full redesign to fit more with material design.

Bloatware will never go away. Samsung really cut it down with the S Apps but the carriers went back and mucked it up.

Speaker needs an overhaul. Bad. Front facing would be better but even if they keep it at the bottom it needs to be of much better quality. The thing pretty much screeches out it's own ringtones when it's set to full volume, and does much worse with any other audio that could come out.

Water resistance would be nice, and should be fairly easy on a sealed phone, but I would not call it a biggie.
    06-04-2015 02:20 PM
    Allow users to make or adjust their own themes w/o being forced to only choose those Samsung deems worthy for the Theme store, or at least aggregate it further such that I could use fonts from one theme, icons from another, etc.

Front-facing speakers would have been nice, but ONLY if it could have somehow been incorporated w/o making the phone so much taller like the M8/M9.

More customization of the Edge features, like maybe brightness control of the Night Clock.
    06-04-2015 02:22 PM
    Better battery and I'd get rid of the glass back!
    berdinkerdickle and KJ78 like this.
    06-04-2015 02:26 PM
    I'm all in on the battery too. I'd also like to see less bloat and waterproofing (or at least Resistance, I just want to be able to use my phone on a rainy day without worrying).

06-04-2015 02:39 PM
    Bigger battery,and a fresher touchwiz

06-04-2015 02:43 PM
    Bigger battery and more features for the edge version. Other than that I love it.
    06-04-2015 02:47 PM
    Reliable fingerprint lock. Mine works about one out of five times. Also some decent themes--NOT little red riding hood. Or anything resembling.
    06-04-2015 02:57 PM
    Battery is the obvious one here, I would love to see a Google edition with stock android. Samsung did a great job of slimming touch wiz down but it's just not enough and I do not want to have to wait on Samsung or my carrier for updates. Aside from that I am in AT&T and the bloat from the carrier is a little over the top, I think I had to dissable 12-15 apps they force me to have on the device.
    06-04-2015 03:05 PM
    I agree with the thickness so the camera wart is flush and a bigger battery.
    This, i would much prefer not carrying a case and just having the lens flush.
    clintw22 likes this.
    06-04-2015 03:30 PM
    Better battery and I'd get rid of the glass back!
    Only if it can be done without sacrificing wireless charging.

Shon123 likes this.
    06-04-2015 03:32 PM
    I'd prefer a bigger battery - it hasn't been an issue for me because I can generally charge throughout the day but I know there will be a time that I can't and I'll be frustrated by it.

I still want an SD card slot - I don't want to have to actively manage internal storage between photos and music.
    06-04-2015 03:34 PM
    Just put the headphone Jack back on the top. I always think the phone is upside down when I pull it out of my pocket, and make the back a different material that won't scratch. Not as cheap feeling as the S5 but something where I can use my phone naked and don't have to worry. Battery life is cool for me. I'm not an app hog with tons of apps running I'm the background. Phone is pretty decent in my opinion as is

Galaxy S6 Gang
    06-04-2015 03:50 PM
    I don't care about the battery. I love the phone's dimensions, having determined I would not want anything bigger. One thing the dimensions have done, as I see it, is create a massive aftermarket of cases that fit without becoming too big. I think if you ran this query among case designers they'd scream NO THICKER. Maybe I'm off, but that's my perception coming from a Razr Maxx HD market that wasn't exactly bustling. Perhaps this flood of options isn't so much the good starting point, rather it's typical for Samsung devices?

That said, front facing speakers would be slick. (But, again, I wouldn't want the footprint to change.)

HTC's theme editor would be cool, but I don't mind checking the store for new, free themes every week, even if they do draw the ire of many forumites.

#1 thing to change, no ifs, ands or buts.... the headset. Awful. Who wears buds like that? Ugh. I could leave 5 sets of headphones laying out and I think these are so bad that the dog would chew only the other 4 cords.
    06-04-2015 03:58 PM
    Just put the headphone Jack back on the top. I always think the phone is upside down when I pull it out of my pocket, and make the back a different material that won't scratch. Not as cheap feeling as the S5 but something where I can use my phone naked and don't have to worry. Battery life is cool for me. I'm not an app hog with tons of apps running I'm the background. Phone is pretty decent in my opinion as is

Galaxy S6 Gang
    Headphone jack stays on bottom with twin on top. Team up with Bose.

06-04-2015 04:11 PM
    I honestly don't think the battery capacity is the problem; I honestly think it's the programming inside the software itself.

I've used phones with very similar stats to the S6 (minus the super high res display), and they've all had much better standby times. You can leave most phones sitting for a day or two and only lose a couple percentage points of battery life. With the S6, if I don't use the phone at all, it'll still drain to 0% within a day or so.

Wake locks cause way more problems with the S6 - every time I turn on airplane mode, the phone shows up as being held awake for the entire duration of when it's in airplane mode.

Unlike any other phone I've used, the mobile data/WiFi shows as using a massive percentage of battery power. On any other phone, it usually runs around 5-10%, on the S6, it runs at 20-40%.

Overall, I really think if they actually fixed all of the various software bugs, it's battery life would be much more competitive.
    06-04-2015 04:22 PM
    Loving it so far, with very few complaints. I will second water resistance and customization options in the Themes - for example, the Themes change the Samsung app icons, but how they change the third party icons is often poorly implemented; also I am currently using the "Mexico" theme because the colors match my wallpaper, but I am living with some crazy changes to the default contact icon, the dialer, lock screen font, etc. Other than that, a series of software issues, many of which are as much Google's fault as Samsung's (RAM management, inconsistency in receiving phone calls/texts with Hangouts/Google Voice integration on Sprint, bloatware, S Finder and Quick Connect can't be removed from notification tray, no one-tap direct dial or direct message, calendar not correctly syncing with my work Outlook, Swype no longer preloaded, lousy widgets for alarm and calendar)

Hopefully 5.1.1 will fix some of these issues, but otherwise it's been great.
    06-04-2015 04:41 PM
113 123 ...